Mustang in black. CF-FUZ

Paul J

Hi.

Just finished this alongside another build(to follow in next post).   It was started some months ago but having found time and settled in my temporary build 'studio', I  present this. Airfix 1/72nd Mustang as privateky owned in Canada 1970s 80s as CF-FUZ ( as depicted here) Later C-FFUZ with antenna changes. Draw Decals over Humbrol gloss black. Modified the cockpit area to take a second seat and having trawled the net came across a modelling  article showing that this particular aircraft had red insides. Also added new aerials one to fuselage and another under each wing just behind the wheel bays.

HBawrW.jpg

6YhI8Y.jpg

hA7WJq.jpg

cRb1UV.jpg

nryxoq.jpg

vYZANW.jpg

WNLugz.jpg

Qyaqie.jpg

ipQ30R.jpg

WxgfQM.jpg

If I had the dosh and owned one it would be in this scheme or similar.

The actual aircraft wnet to the US and then South Africa and finish ed as Queen of Hearts. It is now based in Germany.

• Like 21

Ah ha, Paul, you got there ahead of me :). I have a Tamiya kit, Draw Decals and Some paint masks for the white lining all ready to go :). This machine holds a memory for me from when I saw her and a number of other Canuck warbirds at Baton Rouge in 1980. I’ll get to mine eventually. my dilemma with her has been how to replicate the very prominent silver rivets. Well done for discovering the red interior. I have another planned - I-BILL :)

Nice work! :) How did you find the Draw Decals? My experience so far with other kits is that they are beautifully thin but heavy on pixels.

Martin

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

Ah ha, Paul, you got there ahead of me :). I have a Tamiya kit, Draw Decals and Some paint masks for the white lining all ready to go :). This machine holds a memory for me from when I saw her and a number of other Canuck warbirds at Baton Rouge in 1980. I’ll get to mine eventually. my dilemma with her has been how to replicate the very prominent silver rivets. Well done for discovering the red interior. I have another planned - I-BILL :)

Nice work! :) How did you find the Draw Decals? My experience so far with other kits is that they are beautifully thin but heavy on pixels.

Martin

Hi Martin (and others),

The decals are very nice but they need trimming close to the design due to overall clear decal.  Its not so much the pixellating but more of a texture to the surface. I have used Draw decals before and always found them to be quite user friendly. I have another civvy Mustang I want to do but need to find a kit to go with them.

Re the comment above about the gloss black 'orange peeling' well its my bad. Been a while since I used the airbrush and I was working in a confined space in my temporary work area and poor light. I did try to buff it down which worked a bit but time consuming. Gloss black is not the easiest paint to spray perfectly I find. A couple of coats of Klear helped a bit. Anyway its done now and happy with it.

PS:  By the way, it doesn't look that bad in the 'flesh' actually its the photo 🙃😉

• Like 1

Nice, I got to look in it back in the 70’s at an air show. My father knew the owner at the time. I asked what it was worth. The replied he had paid $40 000 for it. Being ignorant of economic reality at the time at my tender age, I said my father should buy one. He replied, “Son, that is twice what my house is worth and I can’t afford it either!” Fast forward to today, I have three Mustangs-two built 1/72 and a 1/32 in the stash...

Looks great and brings back memories.  CF-FUZ was a regular at the Mount Hope airport in Hamilton, Ontario back in the 80s and spent some time housed in the Canadian Warplane Heritage hangar (the old BCTAP ones at the time).  It's now been restored and lived in Germany.

Thank you for doing this aircraft!

• Like 1