This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

spruecutter96

Dune 2020 trailer

Has anyone seen this trailer yet? It was released last week. I have to say that I'm optimistic that the film will be worth watching. Denis Villeneuve has directed some impressive films and the trailer looks epic. Having said that, I have been tricked by some well-edited trailers promoting very mediocre movies in the past. 

I attempted to read the first Frank Herbert Dune novel recently. I have to ask.... what is all the fuss about? Herbert was very happy to spend 15 pages describing the political situation or the interpersonal dynamics of his characters and then spend less than one page describing the course of a major battle. It felt like he couldn't be bothered to describe the major events in too much detail.

Personally, I'm not too bothered about the politics, because it has little to do with the narrative drive of the book. In the final analysis, the politics are just not that interesting, from where I'm sitting. Others may have a different view... 

Chris. 

I saw it last week, and although it look better than the original, trhe scenes I saw were almost shot-for-shot retreads of the old one with Kyle Mclaughloughloflin, or however you spell him.  That film had some fairly large issues, my primary one the silly thought monologuing "Spice!", when it's flippin' obvious what it is.  I hope it's good, and I also found the original book to be tedious at times, although I was a kid when I read it, so that may have been a factor. :hmmm:

21 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

Others may have a different view

That's one of the great things about our culture.

I don't like hard sci-fi and yet I enjoyed Dune when I first read it many years ago and have happily re-read it a few times since. I tried to read the sequels but found them hard going and gave up.

Dune was the favourite novel of a great friend of mine who has been gone for long time so I sometimes wonder if that is why I enjoy it. The reasons we like things can be complicated.

I thought the original film was a flawed masterpiece. But I seem to be in the minority. But then OHMSS is the best James Bond and The Final Countdown is much better than Topgun (all IMHO).

Dune was one of the first Sci Fi books that I read and I thoroughly enjoyed it, set me off on a path that I still follow today.  Dune Messiah though was hard work and took some time to get through but the other books were fine for me.

Hope the film is good.

Cheers

Dennis

I read it as a teenager and loved it. When I went back to it ten years ago, I was really surprised how long it took to get to Arrakis, and how short Paul’s period in the desert is compared to how I remembered. I guess the bits relevant to a teenage boy coming of age felt more important to 14 year old me! I agree with comments on most of the sequels, but Dune and Dune Messiah are one book, split by the publisher because it was too long, so the structure needs to be thought about with that in mind. I thought the David Lynch film could have been so much better, and probably was before the studio chopped it to bits. IIRC, there’s a super obscure kinda “Directors Cut” adapted for 3x2hrs for TV apparently, but it was only released on multiple laser discs and has vanished without trace, never to be rereleased... The Lynch movie looked brilliant at times though...

best,

M.

I would certainly agree that Lynch's film looked great (loved the design of the Guild Navigator - I wonder what Villeneuve will do with that one), but the movie's tone jumped about all over the place. 

I remember when it came out, Spitting Image had the following Barry Norman sketch:

"And now we come to our "What the bl'@@dy Hell was the film Dune about?" competition. Bad luck to David Lynch, the director, who came ninth."

For me, that pretty much summed the whole thing up. Lynch said he wanted no further association with his movie, after it came out. Also, he has been recently quoted as saying that he has no intention of seeing the new version (sour grapes on his part?).

Chris.  

PS: I have a DVD of the original movie, in which the director's credit was one "Alan Smithee". Lynch was so dissatisfied with the version that he had his name removed from it.  

Edited by spruecutter96
Amending information.

15 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

PS: I have a DVD of the original movie, in which the director's credit was one "Alan Smithee". Lynch was so dissatisfied with the version that he had his name removed from it.  

I recently bought the movie on Blu-ray and David Lynch's name is on the rear cover on the 2020 edition.

It looks like Alan Smithee was only used on a lengthened, for-TV version of the film.

Chris.   

16 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

I would certainly agree that Lynch's film looked great

Fortunately I read the book before I attempted to watch the film.  Abandoned after 20 minutes, needless to say I strongly disagree with your opinion. 

4 hours ago, Pin said:

Fortunately I read the book before I attempted to watch the film.  Abandoned after 20 minutes, needless to say I strongly disagree with your opinion. 

No problem at all. We are all entitled to our opinion. 

Chris. 

Hope this film is better than the original.

I have watched several versions of David Lynch's Dune, and all of them are largely incomprehensible.

Having read the book at least twice, once as a teenager and once and adult, I enjoyed the David Lynch movie but its best to consider it not as a adaption of the book  but more an alternate telling of a similar story. The best (worst) bits are the terrible overacting by Sting, Patrick Stewart and Brad Dourif :)

On 19/09/2020 at 02:38, Kallisti said:

Having read the book at least twice, once as a teenager and once and adult, I enjoyed the David Lynch movie but its best to consider it not as a adaption of the book  but more an alternate telling of a similar story. The best (worst) bits are the terrible overacting by Sting, Patrick Stewart and Brad Dourif :)

actually, I would say  the worst bit of the whole mess  of a film was the sheer waste of fine actors like Patrick Stewart, Brad Dourif,Sian Phillips and Kenneth MacMillan  - the latter a creepily nasty Baron Harkonnen

John

Edited by Beermonster1958