1/48 Spangdahlem F-4G

Lord Riot

I built this years ago, used some aftermarket seats which was a waste of money as they didn’t fit and had to be sanded down, some aftermarket decals for Spangdalheim (spelt that wrong I bet) as the kit ones were done and a couple of HARMs from somewhere. Lovely kit, but you’re right about the intakes, I ended up bodging/scratching some intake covers to hide the nightmare inside.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2020 at 10:50 PM, Lord Riot said:

There's a huge missile included but it looks a bit silly as it's so big even on a Phantom, looks the wrong scale so I'll leave that off.

That will be an AGM-78 SRAM, forerunner of the AGM-88 HARM. It was a beast of a missile.

Common training load out on the ‘Spang’ jets was one AGM-45 ‘Shrike’ and the AGM-78, although it was very common to have these swapped out with an AGM-65 ‘Maverick’ on a single launch rail. Can’t recall seeing AIM-9’s being carried but can remember AIM-7’s in the rear recesses only. I think I’m correct in saying if the inner wing pylons had any form of AGM fitted on it, then AIM-9’s couldn’t be fitted due to fin clearance issues. The ALQ-119 was always carried in the front port fuselage recess(I’m thinking back 35yrs so memory is a bit foggy). 

Edited by scotthldr
  • Thanks 1

No didn't work at Spang, just used to see them as frequent visitors to RAF Lossiemouth back in the day.

For the AGM-65(I'm fairly sure they would've been the 'D' variant in the mid 80's), you'll need the single launch rail called the LAU-117, I'm pretty sure I've got a couple spare along with some AGM-65's that I can send down to you free gratis. Not sure when the AGM-88 'HARM', was rolled out to the 52nd but they were using them by 1988 and these would've supplemented the AGM-45 'Shrike', I don't think the -45 and -88 would've been carried together(although someone will probably prove me wrong), I've got some -88's spare as well that you can have. 

It was also common for the 52nd jets to fly day to day training missions without the wing tanks installed, relying on the centre line tank only. For this you'll need the high-g style tank similar to that seen on the F-15, this should be in the kit as sprue 'R'.

As for colours, the AIM-7 and AGM-45 would've been White, the AGM-65 either White or Olive Drab and AGM-88 are FS36622.

I mentioned the ALQ-119 earlier but from looking at photos it would appear that the ALQ-131(deep), would be more appropriate for a 52nd jet. Eduard do a nice one https://www.eduard.com/eduard/brassin/aircraft/1-48/an-alq-131-(deep)-ecm-pod-1-48.html.

PM me your address and I'll look to get the bits down to you later in the week.

Edited by scotthldr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've sanded down the erroneous bumps on top of the wings. Thanks for that info @Filler. Would have been a pain sanding them once the wings were attached, and even worse after painting!

spacer.png

I blended in that long nose too, the fit is good but it just needed a bit of gentle sanding to really smooth it in.

spacer.png

• Like 7

Looking a bit more like a Phantom now.

spacer.png

The intakes fitted really well, best I've known on a Phantom kit, and the wings fitted nicely too. You definitely get what you pay for with model kits don't you; Hasegawa prices = world class fit and detail. 

• Like 6

Sealed up ready for spraying. I'll probably do the grey first, then olive green (Tamiya AS-14) then the dark green (AS-13).

Handpainted the silver areas around the tail first this time, with Humbrol metallic silver.

Any comments or advice welcome as painting is my worst 'skill'.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

The grey is sealed up ready for a break in the weather to spray the dark green. The Phantom will be exactly the same colours as my Euro I camo A-10; is that correct?

Tamiya AS-13 Green (USAF) dark green

Tamiya AS-14 Olive green (USAF) and

Tamiya AS-27 Gunship gray 2

spacer.png

• Like 2

No, those colours are not correct. European I F-4s were painted FS34079, FS34102 and FS36081. The former two colours are the same as in the standard SEA scheme. You will not find a correct match for those colours in the Tamiya range.

Jens

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Jens said:

No, those colours are not correct. European I F-4s were painted FS34079, FS34102 and FS36081. The former two colours are the same as in the standard SEA scheme. You will not find a correct match for those colours in the Tamiya range.

Jens

Are there any spray cans that do match? The olive green and the gunship grey look pretty close, but I do think the AS-13 is a little too dark.

I think you need to go with the colours you are happy with.  The A-10 looked good so stick with it.  The only thing for certain with Euro One was that it looked different under just about every type of lighting.  I tended to the Bentwaters A-10 colours rather than the exact colour codes, mainly because I like the way that A-10 looks.

1484760-large.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I decided to go for it with the paints I have, while the sun is out - good weather for spray painting.

This is the dark green, with the grey masked up. Just the olive green to spray next after masking the dark green. It's nice and quick drying.

spacer.png

• Like 3