1/48 Spangdahlem F-4G

Lord Riot

Look at this beauty! A bit more expensive than I'd usually pay with postage, but I couldn't resist as it was still a bargain for 1/48 Hasegawa! Looks like a great kit, can't wait to start. I'll be doing her as a Euro I camo 52nd TFW jet from around 1987.

Has anyone made this kit and got any advice?

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

Finally making a start on the Phantom, all the sprues out of the bags and cockpit sprayed matt grey. Started work on the seats which are perfectly detailed enough for me. Two things I noticed so far about this kit, the intakes have raised panel lines whereas the rest of the parts are engraved. Could they be from a sprue from a really old Hasegawa F-4? Some of them say just F-4 and others specifically F-4G. Secondly, and disappointingly there are no decals for the instrument panels or consoles. It's never pretty relying on my painting! 

spacer.png

• Like 3

On 9/16/2020 at 3:18 PM, Lord Riot said:

Look at this beauty! A bit more expensive than I'd usually pay with postage, but I couldn't resist as it was still a bargain for 1/48 Hasegawa! Looks like a great kit, can't wait to start. I'll be doing her as a Euro I camo 52nd TFW jet from around 1987.

Has anyone made this kit and got any advice?

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Yes I made this kit about 10 years ago it's a great kit and hassle free. I also did the same scheme the Hasegawa Phantoms are nice builds. Are you going to do a wip on this? Or just show us the finished Phantom? Id like tk see this again, I dont have mine anymore lost it in a house move years back.

• Like 1

That's good it's hassle-free. Yes I'll definitely do a WIP, been slow progress up to now but should get more done today, though I may be stuck waiting for delivery of the Eduard instrument panels, can't fit the cockpit 'til I get those. I can get some painting done though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

...they are incredible, what commitment!

He is building this at a museum Mont de Marsan airbase in France but it is based on Spangdahlem.  The full thread is on ARC Forums.  

• Like 1

So I'm still waiting for the Eduard etched instrument panels I ordered from ebay last week, it's rather held up progress. I'm used to Amazon Prime with its next day delivery!

Anyway, I've got a few things painted before I can fit the cockpit and close up the fuselage. Seats painted and masking tape belts added, a few underwing stores sprayed and the inside of the jet pipes painted black then washed over with dirt wash.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Anyone know what the usual loudout would be for a Spang F-4G in peacetime training? I was thinking of the three fuel tanks and anti-radar training round, plus ECM pod, but not sure if they'd have had an AIM-9 acquisition round and/or any Sparrows/anything else?

There's a huge missile included but it looks a bit silly as it's so big even on a Phantom, looks the wrong scale so I'll leave that off.

• Like 2

Yes, I was reading about loudout for F-4Gs (some light morning reading with coffee) and it seems to be a HARM. It's huge though, so I think I'll have the smaller AGM-78 on one inner pylon and a Maverick on the other. With three Sparrows, ECM pod and three fuel tanks she'll be a heavily loaded Toom!

• Like 1

About the raised panellines of the intakes: Those parts are from the old series of Hasegawa F-4 Phantoms with raised panellines and can be found on sprue D.

You should use the intake parts from sprue J, the same sprue you can find the fuselage parts.

See here, page 7 at the kit instruction (parts marked in blue not for use).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Still no sign of the cockpit etching from Model Hobbies. 🙄

In the meantime I've fitted the wings together and painted pretty much everything I can without having the airframe fitted together. 

spacer.png

• Like 4

Worth checking, but I think that you need to remove those rectangular 'lumps' from the top of each wing. No idea which Phantoms featured those but I'm reasonably sure the F-4G doesn't.

Yep, just checked and they need removing as they were only on some Navy versions. They are something to do with strengthened landing gear struts for deck landings. The funny thing is, I found a thread on here about them in which I have posted saying that I had removed them from my kit and that it was the only thing I had done before sticking the kit back in the loft. I vaguely recall doing that now.

Anyway, they're simple to remove before painting.

• Thanks 1