Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Recommended Posts

It's not that I have enough models on my workbench currently, let's start one more! I mean, why not - it's not like one more is gonna do any difference :P 

 

So I was rummaging thru my dads stash once more and he had like three or four Tamiya Beaufighters there. One he had already built and says it's very good kit to build. Which I don't doubt, it's a Tamiya after all. So I snatched one for this GB - my build will be a beautiful Bristol Beaufighter Mk.VI in sandy colours. We have a deal with my dad, I can build pretty much anything from his stash, but I must return it to him once I'm finished.

 

50345985748_35f3924fd5_o.jpg

 

Beautiful box art. Also this is the scheme I will be doing.

 

 

50346838937_096412b509_o.jpg

 

Box contents, decent amount of plastic but not too much.

 

 

50345985673_5b2d6675a1_o.jpg

 

This is the paint scheme, Malta 1942. It will be a fighter bomber version, so with a rear gunner. Not sure what kind of load out is appropriate - maybe rockets?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m sure a Tamiya Beaufighter is going to provide a splendid build - no pressure!

 

Strange that the RAF in the MTO often seemed to get by with a single letter for ID whereas in UK based ops they used the two letter squadron code plus ID letter.

 

Regards,

Adrian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always look in on Beaufighter builds. One of my favourite aircraft. 

 

As for armament, If rockets, no wing guns. These were removed and the gunports taped over. If a torpedo, then no rockets. Same with bombs.

 

 

I await further progress.

 

 

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

As for armament, If rockets, no wing guns. These were removed and the gunports taped over. If a torpedo, then no rockets. Same with bombs.

As a kid I would have to have differed. Guns, torpedoes and rockets please, and bombs too if there was room!

 

If I had known about the Martin Mauler back then it would surely have been my favourite!

 

Regards,

Adrian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I always look in on Beaufighter builds. One of my favourite aircraft. 

 

As for armament, If rockets, no wing guns. These were removed and the gunports taped over. If a torpedo, then no rockets. Same with bombs.

 

 

I await further progress.

 

 

Chris

Thanks for the info, that makes sense. It seems there will be a plate that goes over the wing gun shell ejection ports to where the rocket rails are attached to. 

 

What do you think about the nose cannon ports - from the box cover you get the impression that they would be taped over too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the build reini, hopefully your bench is big enough to accommodate another project 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very good choice Reini

Have fun

Best Regards

Patrice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, reini said:

Thanks for the info, that makes sense. It seems there will be a plate that goes over the wing gun shell ejection ports to where the rocket rails are attached to. 

 

What do you think about the nose cannon ports - from the box cover you get the impression that they would be taped over too?

Cannon ports were taped over, sometimes pretty roughly too.

xt5o2j7yerk31.png?auto=webp&s=f19bef5e3f

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice choice Reini

 

It may or may not be of interest to you but about a month ago Tony Otoole started a topic in the ww2 forum about Beaufighter camo in the MTO. There were some quite interesting chats on more than that besides.  Might be worth looking it out. 
 

James

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One I'll be looking in on. I'm reading Roy C Nesbit's "The Armed Rovers" which features 272 squadron prominently. For the period of the colour call in the kit, I would venture armament would be cannon & machine guns with occasional bombs, 250 pound ones seem to be mentioned most often. I'm up to Operation Husky, the invasion of Sicily & no mention of rockets as yet.

Steve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

One I'll be looking in on. I'm reading Roy C Nesbit's "The Armed Rovers" which features 272 squadron prominently. For the period of the colour call in the kit, I would venture armament would be cannon & machine guns with occasional bombs, 250 pound ones seem to be mentioned most often. I'm up to Operation Husky, the invasion of Sicily & no mention of rockets as yet.

Steve.

Were rockets ever used at all in the MTO Steve. Just thinking there weren’t many Typhoons in theatre which was the usual mode of delivery and the Americans weren’t very keen on them. 
 

Reini, sorry for the thread hijack. 
 

James

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Were rockets ever used at all in the MTO Steve. Just thinking there weren’t many Typhoons in theatre which was the usual mode of delivery and the Americans weren’t very keen on them. 
 

Reini, sorry for the thread hijack. 
 

James

I'm assuming they were from photos I have seen, including one which is from the time 227sqn was becoming 16 sqn SAAF, later on in Italy & I'm sure the aircraft was rocket armed, maybe about the same time Hurricanes operating in Yugoslavia were using them too so at a similar time & area but I'm not up to that part yet. :)

Steve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, franky boy said:

Nice choice Reini

 

It may or may not be of interest to you but about a month ago Tony Otoole started a topic in the ww2 forum about Beaufighter camo in the MTO. There were some quite interesting chats on more than that besides.  Might be worth looking it out. 
 

James

Thanks! So it seems Extra Dark Sea Grey and Dark Slate Grey it is. Nice looking scheme :)

 

And don't worry about the 'hijack' - this is all good information and very interesting :)

 

@stevehnz Thanks for the info. Keep me updated on the rockets :D

 

@DaveyGair Thanks for the awesome photo, I will definitely try to recreate something similar :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I would go for taped over cannon ports.

 

As for that colour photo Dave posted, I wouldn't use it as paint guide, as it's a colourized B&W photo. Those exhaust collector colours are way off.

 

 

 

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Yes, I would go for taped over cannon ports.

 

As for that colour photo Dave posted, I wouldn't use it as paint guide, as it's a colourized B&W photo. Those exhaust collector colours are way off.

 

 

 

Chris

Yes, second that. They do more harm than good. 

There will be B&W shots somewhere on the 'net, I can almost never find what I want when I do a search!

 

Davey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...