AEC "Dorchester" (1/35 AFV Club) (Put that light back on!!)

APA

Mail me at mikestarmer18 at gmail dot com  There I can attach some pictures and drawing.  Both type of roof hatch were used, it may depend on the production contract.  The Dorchester at Duxford is  late model which I was able to closely examine.  This has a outer armoured sliding panel, inset in the roof beneath that is a Perspex sliding panel.  Thus it can be set up to allow ventilation and or light but closed off during darkness and bad weather.   I also have pictures of the example at Blandford showing the step arrangement inside the doors.

• Like 1

This is looking good, I really fancy adding one of these to the pile & I agree with you completely about “real” rubber tyres, you spend big money on a kit & you shouldn’t have to replace crappy tyres. Takes me to a whole new level of rage, even beyond the one I feel for mother in law.

Anyways, crack on!

• Like 1

A point or two if I may.  The body floor of these vehicles were covered with a linoleum material, common at these times.  May have been  dull mid green or brown.  It acts as insulating and easy to clean.  The lower  third of the side walls of office bodies were covered with similar material whilst the upper walls and ceiling were gloss Pale Cream No.52. 

The boxtop colours are inaccurate.  The colours were Light Stone, Silver grey , not blue,  and Slate  which is a dark grey green.  The pattern on the rear is missing one colour completely.  If you PM me at mikestarmer18 at gmail dot com I have more pictures and a drawing of  #5.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phildagreek said:

This is looking good, I really fancy adding one of these to the pile & I agree with you completely about “real” rubber tyres, you spend big money on a kit & you shouldn’t have to replace crappy tyres. Takes me to a whole new level of rage, even beyond the one I feel for mother in law.

Anyways, crack on!

Yes what is the point of soft plastic tyres!! It seems a lot of manufacturers feel the need to add something different which can be a good thing, real springs, metal barrel etc. But then it can be like they asked the toy department what to add! A Good example is the AFV Club Centurion. It comes with 'rubber' road wheels however the metal rim edge is part of the rubber mould so you have to glue them in place then paint part of the rubber the body colour. Just makes more work!

I would crack on if I had the time. I thought I was having a full weekend to start in anger however life sort of got in the way. Next weekend for definite, next weekend I promise :)👍🤞

A

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Starmer said:

A point or two if I may.  The body floor of these vehicles were covered with a linoleum material, common at these times.  May have been  dull mid green or brown.  It acts as insulating and easy to clean.  The lower  third of the side walls of office bodies were covered with similar material whilst the upper walls and ceiling were gloss Pale Cream No.52. 

The boxtop colours are inaccurate.  The colours were Light Stone, Silver grey , not blue,  and Slate  which is a dark grey green.  The pattern on the rear is missing one colour completely.  If you PM me at mikestarmer18 at gmail dot com I have more pictures and a drawing of  #5.

Hi Mike

Another email sent. This is a whole new ball game! Lucky I havent started making planking!

A

A little lite reading for those long dark night! 🥱

No excuses for getting the WS No19 wrong now. Everything you will ever need to know about ww2 British wireless sets right down to the hydrometer used to check the batteries 😳

2020-10-09_06-55-44

A

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, APA said:

A little lite reading for those long dark night! 🥱

No excuses for getting the WS No19 wrong now. Everything you will ever need to know about ww2 British wireless sets right down to the hydrometer used to check the batteries 😳

2020-10-09_06-55-44

A

Looks like you have a few more 'days of contemplation' ahead!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, StuartH said:

Looks like you have a few more 'days of contemplation' ahead!

Full steam ahead this weekend......... Hold my beer 🍺

The radio will be a build in itself! 

A

Edited by APA

Work has started in anger on the new cabinets.

20201011_150049

20201011_150057

Added a shelf so as t put stuff on!

20201011_150811

Also filled in the planking as I don't want it to show through too much on the Lino

20201011_150833

A

Edited by APA
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

A good weekend of more scratch building the interior. All the Kazzi's have doors and locks :)

I had to do a bit of artistic licence as one of the doors (Top Left in the pic below) could not physically open as per the kit. Also added a few shelves and floors just to mix it up. All notches cut out so the sides will fit.

I keep thinking of that Les Dawson sketch where he goes on all poetically about the night sky "I must fix this toilet roof" :) 

20201024_140522

Doors finished both in and out, a bit of texture on the planks with ring hands, locks, latches and bolts. Need a bit of cleaning up and they are done. Hinges will be last when I decide how a jar they will be.

20201024_140613

20201024_143826

20201024_143845

This was one part I was not looking forward to. There was a satchel moulded to the cross members. I managed to cut it off without destroying the delicate work. I can sleep tonight :) 

20201024_140510

Roll screens between the cab and rear remade so they look like cloth. The kit ones are pretty basic.

20201024_154726

Satchel to replace the moilded on one above. There will be a few papers sticking out hence the remake. Again needs a bit of cleaning up.

20201025_145145

And all the bits on. 

20201025_145326

Next on the Lino flooring. After 2 paper templates and two goes at the 8thou copper sheet I think it fits pretty well. Also added a bit of ware at the rear entrance. I think it may be a well worn and bit lumpy after a year or so of hobnails and North African heat!

20201025_145355

It's been so long scratch building I'd almost forgot this is actually a kit!! Took a while to find the instructions!! Little bit of paper on the seat for now. Will add a few wires and stuff in time. That rectangular piece looks a bit worrying. I'm pretty sure thats it! I will see.

20201025_173037

And she starts to take shape.

20201025_173145

On to the light show. Quick test of the LED light source for the lamps which will be tucked underneath the base.

20201025_173911

Another quick test of the fibre optic cable. This is 0.23 dia inside a 0.5mm copper pipe. Tested to see if it will bend ok and it will light up. Looking of to me. These will be the lamp stems. Light is not too bright even though the LED is a 'bright' one however this was with a full 1m of fibre and the ends not polished.

20201024_192302

Finally a new map table. I've made a new one as it will not have the map corner slots on it. There will be a bit of french polishing in the coming weeks! Just a couple of markers for the legs and ceiling column added.

20201025_151930

Like to know how I'm doing so far. It all looks a bit messy to me in the pics.

Ironically I won't be doing anything next weekend because I'll be busy............. Fitting doors!

A

Edited by APA
  • Like 9

• APA changed the title to AEC "Dorchester" (1/35 AFV Club) ('bout time I put a lock on this kazzi)

That's really coming to life now. Those details that you've scratch built such as the satchel and the door locks are works of art in themselves.

I don't think it looks messy....with such a mixture of materials used it is naturally going to look a bit different though once you get a primer on it will all blend in really well and I think the final result has the potential to be epic.

Keep up the great work 👍

Thanks Stuart

That's reassuring 🤞 It does need a bit of cleaning up though. Might get some CA deactivator to get all the glue off but I'm fearful of it all falling to bits!! 🙄. I did try and solder the satchel but it didn't work that's why it looks a bit of a mess.

I've just been informed by my big brother that the doors are the wrong way round. The diagonals should be going the the way to be in compression. Bloody brothers...........🤨

A

A lot of nice detail work being added here and it is looking great.

3 hours ago, APA said:

Like to know how I'm doing so far.

You're doing great but a couple of observations. Those door bolts look great but the icing on the cake would be the addition of the bolt stop, they'll fall out otherwise and personally, I don't think that any officer would allow holes in the floor to be there for very long...you did ask.

Stuart

2 minutes ago, Courageous said:

A lot of nice detail work being added here and it is looking great.

You're doing great but a couple of observations. Those door bolts look great but the icing on the cake would be the addition of the bolt stop, they'll fall out otherwise and personally, I don't think that any officer would allow holes in the floor to be there for very long...you did ask.

Stuart

Your quite right about the bolts (well spotted) and I will be adding the end stops although the bolts cannot work anyway if you look. 

As for the lino..... Have you tried getting matching lino in an Egyptian bazaar on a Wednesday when there's a war on? 😊

A

• Haha 1

Just catching up with this. Those doors look great, but I have to say that those etched brass latches and bolts are excellent. I think that Monty himself would have been proud of this. Great work.

John.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mike Starmer said:

Not wishing to spoil your model, but diagonal bracing on doors should run from top outer to the bottom at the hinge side.  In this position they prevent the door from sagging under their own weight.

Yeah that's what my brother said 🤨

Right it's going in the bin! Ordered a new kit

😉

A

5 minutes ago, Mike Starmer said:

A bit extreme that, just hack the planks off, sand down then redo.  If I can do it with my shed then you can do too.😉

I've got 9 real doors to hang at the weekend. I suppose another 6 won't hurt 😂

A

HAPPY NOW? 🤨 😋

20201026_185737

20201026_185954

Actually I'm glad I did make them again. Much neater (Yes I know the handle holes in the bottom set don't quite line up but they'll all be open so.....) and I'll do the locks and bolts again as well. 😉

A

• Like 5