The Other Few,...... 1/48th Classic Airframes Blenheim Mk.IV, 82 Sqn, 1940

tonyot

Hiya Folks,

An old one from the cabinet which I don`t think I have ever shared,.....a 1/48th Classic Airframes Bristol Blenheim Mk.IV of 82 Sqn,.... representing the men of Bomber Command who continued to support The Few of Fighter Command by keeping the pressure on the German`s. While the heavies concentrated on more strategic targets,.... the Blenheim Boy`s were kept busy throughout the Battle of Britain in daylight raids against Luftwaffe airfields in France and the Low Countries, Channel Ports where invasion barges were being prepared and other targets,...... often with heavy casualties. Diaries of Luftwaffe pilots have mentioned how tired they were due to being on standby against these Blenheim raids and how they were often attacking them time afte time.

The aircraft that I chose to replicate was P6915, UX-A of 82 Sqn based at RAF Watton which was unfortunately shot down on the 7th June 1940 during the Battle of France, before the Battle of Britain started.

blenheims-82-sqn.jpg

The Classic Airframes kit is by no means state of the art,..... but it was the only way to build a Blenheim in injection moulded plastic for many years until the superb Airfix Mk.I kit turned up. The main problem with the kit for me was the over small main wheels,...... which are very evident on the model, plus only an early aircraft could be built as there were no bubble side windows provided. Please bear in mind that I built this model well over 15 years ago,..... so it is no spring chicken and there are things on it that I would do differently today,.... but as usual it was brush painted;

DSCF8747-NEW.jpg

DSCF8748-NEW.jpg

DSCF8749-NEW.jpg

DSCF8750-NEW.jpg

DSCF8736-NEW.jpg

DSCF8740-NEW.jpg

DSCF8743-NEW.jpg

DSCF8744-NEW.jpg

DSCF8745-NEW.jpg

DSCF8746-NEW.jpg

DSCF8742-NEW.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 39
  • Thanks 2

That's a lovely job on the Classic's kit, something you seldom see completed, it seems. I can appreciate the work that went into it, and you should be proud of it. 

One wonders how Classic's could do so much right, then drop the ball so badly with the wheels!, Fortunately BarracudaCast stepped up to the plate.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2020 at 8:00 PM, tonyot said:

Hiya Folks,

An old one from the cabinet which I don`t think I have ever shared,.....a 1/48th Classic Airframes Bristol Blenheim Mk.IV of 82 Sqn,.... representing the men of Bomber Command who continued to support The Few of Fighter Command by keeping the pressure on the German`s. While the heavies concentrated on more strategic targets,.... the Blenheim Boy`s were kept busy throughout the Battle of Britain in daylight raids against Luftwaffe airfields in France and the Low Countries, Channel Ports where invasion barges were being prepared and other targets,...... often with heavy casualties. Diaries of Luftwaffe pilots have mentioned how tired they were due to being on standby against these Blenheim raids and how they were often attacking them time afte time.

The aircraft that I chose to replicate was P6915, UX-A of 82 Sqn based at RAF Watton which was unfortunately shot down on the 7th June 1940 during the Battle of France, before the Battle of Britain started.

blenheims-82-sqn.jpg

The Classic Airframes kit is by no means state of the art,..... but it was the only way to build a Blenheim in injection moulded plastic for many years until the superb Airfix Mk.I kit turned up. The main problem with the kit for me was the over small main wheels,...... which are very evident on the model, plus only an early aircraft could be built as there were no bubble side windows provided. Please bear in mind that I built this model well over 15 years ago,..... so it is no spring chicken and there are things on it that I would do differently today,.... but as usual it was brush painted;

DSCF8747-NEW.jpg

DSCF8748-NEW.jpg

DSCF8749-NEW.jpg

DSCF8750-NEW.jpg

DSCF8736-NEW.jpg

DSCF8740-NEW.jpg

DSCF8743-NEW.jpg

DSCF8744-NEW.jpg

DSCF8745-NEW.jpg

DSCF8746-NEW.jpg

DSCF8742-NEW.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Just now, mcdonnell said:

Superb work as always,Tony!🏆👏😉👍

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mark Joyce said:

Really nice looking Blenheim, Tony.  It's aged as well as a nice bottle of wine!

Cheers,

Mark

10 hours ago, F-32 said:

Lovely work, looks awesome

Very kind of you both,......cheers.