Titanic 1/700 rigging thread size

HoolioPaulio

Hi, maritime beginner here.  Currently building the Revell 1/700 scale Titanic as a surprise gift for my parents.  Trying to find some better rigging thread than what comes in the box.  I've got my eye on a few types available that will suit me, but I'm having terrible trouble figuring out what diameter thread to use.  Having no experience in maritime modelling I can't really picture in my head.  I've seen threads ranging from 0.01mm right up to 1.5/2mm.  I guess I'm going to need something at the very thin end of this scale, but I don't want to go too thin.  I'm confident I can work with 0.01mm if needed, I just have no idea what size will look correct for a 1/700 Titanic.

So I'm looking for size suggestions, maybe there is a range that will work etc.  Once I know what diameter thread I'm after I can go back to finding one that is available to me and in my price range.  The information I'm turning up is either vague, references a specific thread type which I can't find the diameter of, or is on larger scales (which seem more common).

Many thanks.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty much a beginner too, completed my first build of Revell 1/700 Titanic, I was having a bit difficulty with rigging lines, either going saggy or being difficult to to handle. 

I went into my fishing bag and used some 6lb breaking strain fishing line, cut some lengths and painted the lines black (2 coats). Now it's looks taught, looks correct thickness for the model. 

• Like 1