This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

echen

DIY Decals

Thought I'd be clever and make my own decals.

Bought some decal paper and played for ages on the computer to get what I wanted in the correct size. I realise I cannot print white decals. Black images and serial numbers print fine as do and red/green coloured divisional markings that I have tried so far although I have yet to try anything blue. But yellow triangles for tank turret sides are so ill defined as to be invisible once applied so I had to remove them. Same applies to anything else yellow.

Has anyone else encountered this issue and found a remedy?

As Colin says, you use white decal paper for decals with white in them. Where printer ink is a bit transluscent, you need to apply at least two decals one on top of another.

Dave

There is practically nothing you can do about it, unless you want to go through the expenses related with purchasing a printer that can print with white ink or toner.

The inks and toner used by home printers (and not only) are designed to be used on a white background and for this reason are not opaque enough to cover dark colours. If you'r printing decals that go over a white subject it's fine, with light painted subjects you may still get away with it but even on a medium grey painted subject your decal will not work if it's for example in yellow. Red covers a bit better but just increase the darkness of the underlying paint a bit and even red and green will be useless.

The use of white decal paper can help and one trick is to print both the artwork and part of the painted area on white paper. In you case you would have to print the yellow triangle and whatever camo colours within the triangle, and ideally also a thin surround around the triangle outer edges in these same colours. Then cut, apply in place and if required (and it will likely be required...) touch up and blend the edges with a small brush using the tank colour. Worth the hassle ? Depends, sometime it is as allows to build a model with certain specific markings, sometimes it's just simpler to use other methods.