AMP 1/48 Kaman HUK-1 Huskie

Hello all,

This is my latest finished model, AMP's HUK-1 Huskie in 1/48. It's the most fun I've had building a model in a long time. There's no aftermarket and I only made some small changes to better reflect this particular airframe. Paint is Mr Color 365 and the decals are from the kit (although I replaced the national insignia).

It's a tiny model (excluding the rotors, about the size of a 1/72 WWII fighter) with lots and lots of parts. The close-ups show a much rougher finish than I would like, although in real life it looks pretty smooth.

Comments welcome and a full build article is at https://jonbryon.com/amp-1-48-kaman-huk-1-huskie/

Jon

huk1_14.jpg

huk1_13.jpg

huk1_08.jpg

huk1_07.jpg

huk1_06.jpg

huk1_05.jpg

huk1_35.jpg

huk1_32.jpg

huk1_34.jpg

huk1_12.jpg

huk1_23.jpg

huk1_24.jpg

huk1_27.jpg

huk1_29.jpg

huk1_31.jpg

• Like 57

Very attractive, and unusual, model!

Not being familiar with the Huskie, it struck me that the configuration looked familiar: it seemed to have a strong family resemblance to the German WWII Fl 282 helicopter. Sure enough – some further Wikipedia browsing revealed that Dr. Anton Flettner was 'invited' to the USA in 1946 and soon became the chief designer at Kaman.

I have to look for that AMP kit…

Superb modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wolfhound32 said:

My compliments for this stunning build Jon! A very original model also, never seen a built version before.. and you did a great job with this one! 

Well said and I must agree!

• Like 1

Thanks all :)

33 minutes ago, zebra said:

I had been waiting for them to come out with one of the later versions before buying one but my resolve is weakening now!

Yes, an HH-43B/F would be great. However, there appears to be very, very little commonality between them and the early piston-powered Huskies. As far as I can tell, a turbine powered 'Pedro' would need an entire new fuselage, engine and tail. Since it would be basically a new kit, I've no idea if AMP intend to release one, but maybe if they sold enough of these they'd consider it!

Cheers

Jon

• Like 1

This really stands out for me for being such a rare type. I love the way that your build has captured the fragility of the HUK-1 wrapped around a large radial piston engine compared to the later gas turbine driven model.

Michael

• Like 1