This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Jon Bryon

AMP 1/48 Kaman HUK-1 Huskie

Hello all,

This is my latest finished model, AMP's HUK-1 Huskie in 1/48. It's the most fun I've had building a model in a long time. There's no aftermarket and I only made some small changes to better reflect this particular airframe. Paint is Mr Color 365 and the decals are from the kit (although I replaced the national insignia).

It's a tiny model (excluding the rotors, about the size of a 1/72 WWII fighter) with lots and lots of parts. The close-ups show a much rougher finish than I would like, although in real life it looks pretty smooth.

Comments welcome and a full build article is at https://jonbryon.com/amp-1-48-kaman-huk-1-huskie/

Jon

huk1_14.jpg

huk1_13.jpg

huk1_08.jpg

huk1_07.jpg

huk1_06.jpg

huk1_05.jpg

huk1_35.jpg

huk1_32.jpg

huk1_34.jpg

huk1_12.jpg

huk1_23.jpg

huk1_24.jpg

huk1_27.jpg

huk1_29.jpg

huk1_31.jpg

That's very nice indeed ! Wasn't aware of this kit and, being AMP, has now hit the top of my "wants" list.

Now I'm off to check out your w.i.p. Super  impressed with your build, Jon !

Rog 

You don’t see many of these, that’s a lovely model well built and finished, a real pleasure to look at.

That's amazing work, superb

Very attractive, and unusual, model!

Not being familiar with the Huskie, it struck me that the configuration looked familiar: it seemed to have a strong family resemblance to the German WWII Fl 282 helicopter. Sure enough – some further Wikipedia browsing revealed that Dr. Anton Flettner was 'invited' to the USA in 1946 and soon became the chief designer at Kaman.

I have to look for that AMP kit…

Superb modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Very nicely done indeed! And what a great subject - something you don't see often. It reminds me of that song "You'll Never Get Me Up In One Of Those."    :)

Cheers,

Bill

Brilliant work Jon. I love all the bracing structure detail on the booms. Great paint finish as well, looks pretty smooth to me!:like:

Cheers

Pete

My compliments for this stunning build Jon! A very original model also, never seen a built version before.. and you did a great job with this one! 

3 minutes ago, Wolfhound32 said:

My compliments for this stunning build Jon! A very original model also, never seen a built version before.. and you did a great job with this one! 

Well said and I must agree!

Bravo!

Very well built and finished! That must look great in your display!!!

Fantastic build, well done!

That yellow and red warning label is quite emphatic - I can only imagine the kind of accidents that prompted the lawyers to advise the need for that!

That really is lovely. I had been waiting for them to come out with one of the later versions before buying one but my resolve is weakening now!

Thanks all :)

33 minutes ago, zebra said:

I had been waiting for them to come out with one of the later versions before buying one but my resolve is weakening now!

Yes, an HH-43B/F would be great. However, there appears to be very, very little commonality between them and the early piston-powered Huskies. As far as I can tell, a turbine powered 'Pedro' would need an entire new fuselage, engine and tail. Since it would be basically a new kit, I've no idea if AMP intend to release one, but maybe if they sold enough of these they'd consider it!

Cheers

Jon

Very nice !!!

Never heard about this kit .

It now stands on my wish list . 

A cracking build of an interesting Helicopter.

Brilliant 

What a great model.  Surely one of the oddest looking rotorcraft, and there's nothing 'normal' about anything with rotors.

Great looking Huskie there, really nice work as always

Great work there Jon, it looks superb.

Top marks to AMP for producing the helicopter subjects that they do, mine are in stash but feel the need to tackle one soon now!

This really stands out for me for being such a rare type. I love the way that your build has captured the fragility of the HUK-1 wrapped around a large radial piston engine compared to the later gas turbine driven model.

Michael