Tornado AYCB - 2. Hasegawa ADV Tornado

Anatol Pigwa

Ah, Vigna di Vale, what a museum! Looking forward seeing your italian job!

I did cut mine up to kitbash the F-3 parts to a Revell ECR which I recovered from failure. Only to see both airframes (ADV-IDS) have a load of differences... but slowly through the years probably I'll get there... 

The biggest question to me will be: who provides me the decals I want. I have the 2005 air arms update with the seasons Firebirds display duo, but actually I realy want a Fighting Cocks F.3. I do remember a total black one which once was in decals but I prefer a normal painted one. Or maybe one side 43 and the other side 56 Sqn... 

Good luck on your build and will be watching with interest!

1 hour ago, 128fiddler said:

I have the 2005 air arms update with the seasons Firebirds display duo, but actually I realy want a Fighting Cocks F.3.

Get the Operation Telic F.3 Hasegawa then, it supposedly has the Fighting Cocks markings.

Hasegawa also did a black Tornado, but that was a GR.1, not sure about the F.3

Edited by Anatol Pigwa

18 hours ago, 128fiddler said:

The biggest question to me will be: who provides me the decals I want. I have the 2005 air arms update with the seasons Firebirds display duo, but actually I realy want a Fighting Cocks F.3. I do remember a total black one which once was in decals but I prefer a normal painted one. Or maybe one side 43 and the other side 56 Sqn... 

If you're after the standard 1980s scheme for 43 Squadron, it's available from Xtradecal on sheet X72013 ("Tornado Update").  Note that this sheet covers unique squadron marks and serials only, you'll need to use kit or other aftermarket decals for national markings & data stencils.

X72067 RAF Update 2004-2006 Part 2 includes ZG757 with 43 Squadron in two different schemes (variations on the standard with differing presentations of the checkered band).

X72066 RAF Update 2004-2006 Part 1 features ZG797 in an attractive 43 Sqn display scheme with all-black tail and a more colorful and aggressive presentation of the squadron's mascot.  Also of interest to you, this sheet includes ZE154 in 56 Sqn livery for this era.

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

i am back in the game ;) And since Tim did such a grwat job on comparing the Revelk/Italeri abd Airfix F.3 Tornados, I will chip in with the Hasegawa offering i. a nice Tiger Meet livery:

Hasegawa F3

Hasegawa F3

The first thing thst struck me was that tgere are mo outer pylons for the Sidewinders provided:

Hasegawa F3

The second thing thst surprised me, was the detail8ng of the bang seats. That was a new one from Hasegawa for me:

Hasegawa F3

Next the gairly clever wing swing mechanism. Yes Hasegawa build a working swing wing a la Revell! However their approach to the wing glove deserves some praise:

Hasegawa F3

The cog mechanism is similar to the Revell solution (I think Revell had a long hard look at this kit - or was it the other way around) but the protring pieces in the back if the wing deserve a special mention. while the wing us swept back, they are used to limit the movement if the wing. However when the eing is swept forward they seal the opening and in order to portray the wing glove. Pretty ingenious.

Hasegawa F3

Another thing jumping at the modelker are the Hindenburg tanks which are huge - about 30 % bigger than Revells proposition:

Hasegawa F3

The instruments can be painted or decalled. I may try to place the decal o. the moulded instrument panel and then fit in in place with copious amount of decal setter.

Hasegawa F3

Conclusion there is a lit if light but also some shadow with this kit. My biggest gripe is the missing outer pylon. My guess is, that all (newer) Hasegawa Tornados are based on a GR. 1 Tornado with slight adjustments for other versions.

• Like 6