Hello everyone... I would like to present another build that has been slowly working up in the background. Its the 1/48 P-51 kit from Airfix, its an ok kit in my estimation but there are some issues that turn me off with it. The internal inserts around the rear radiator duct didn't fit well and actually bulged out on the exterior of my fuselage. The separate vertical stabilizer didn't want to fit well, along with the wing gun inserts. But most annoying is the atrocious fit of the clear canopy pieces. No matter how much fiddling, filling or sanding I just couldn't get the windscreen piece to fit square on the fuselage. In the end I gave up. The blown canopy is about a scale foot to wide to be posed open and doesn't sit well over the radio gear once the arch support installed. Again in the end I gave up as Im tired of fighting the kit.
        Its a shame to be totally honest as I had received the Markings from @invidia. Now I fudged a little on my side also. Its the P-51D boxing as I couldn't find the K. So it doesn't have the cuff-less prop. Though I did follow the K’s instructions to get everything else correct. So without further complaining I present Mustang Mk.IV KM272 QV*V “Dooleybird”. GBUqYR4.jpg

GKkZNz2.jpg

Kk486bs.jpg

Sc3DBiw.jpg

zFily8Q.jpg

LmE1uWk.jpg

MTz1eo0.jpg

z2bQCLx.jpg

BJOUZDG.jpg

IXfI2xy.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

PS - I have repainted the yellow as of 2023 and will update this post with new photo’s soon. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 30

Very nice work! :clap2:

I too found the problems you identified. I suppose it makes the multiple versions easier for the kit to support, but it does mean more work in getting the bits to fit well. 

• Thanks 1

Nicely done, Dennis.👍 The scheme suits it very well. I sympathise with you over the canopy. I'm battling with Revell's JU88 three part canopy and gun housing. I nearly launched it at the wall a couple of times, in fact I still may.

• Thanks 1

Beautifully done.

I have the 1/72 Matchbox version. 
I always find it strange how different model manufacturers come up with different colour schemes. Matchbox put the top engine covers from the propeller to the windscreen in blue. Also my one has KM272 on both main wing undersides. 
Only thing that bugs me after I had finished it was the decals on either side of the fuselage with both being QV-V and the alternative American livery both being V-7F. Should have checked first.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Brigbeale said:

Beautifully done.

I have the 1/72 Matchbox version. 
I always find it strange how different model manufacturers come up with different colour schemes. Matchbox put the top engine covers from the propeller to the windscreen in blue. Also my one has KM272 on both main wing undersides. 
Only thing that bugs me after I had finished it was the decals on either side of the fuselage with both being QV-V and the alternative American livery both being V-7F. Should have checked first.

I too have seen several builds with the blue cowling. I would've done it that way but Im guessing evidence clearly leans towards the yellow/green. I really should add the underwing serials but the kits decals didn't come with them. The kits profile claims late 1945 and I believe the Allied aircraft sported these to prevent joy riding and buzzing post war. If I can find a source in the correct size I will add them someday. 

Thank you to everyone for the kind comments. 

• Like 1

Dooleybird was always shown as having blue cowlings (as per the Matchbox kit). It changed to yellow after someone on the squadron at the time stated that they were yellow (probably 20+ years ago now).  Blue always seemed more logical to me. There has been much discussion over the years though.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Glen said:

Dooleybird was always shown as having blue cowlings (as per the Matchbox kit). It changed to yellow after someone on the squadron at the time stated that they were yellow (probably 20+ years ago now).  Blue always seemed more logical to me. There has been much discussion over the years though.

Hmmmm🤔 ... I sure would like to paint it blue, any ideas of where I can find these discussions ? 

I did some digging and found this. 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235030741-pk-13-na-p-51d-mustang-dooleybird-~~finished~~/&do=findComment&comment=2898197

In the photo provided by @A6Intruder in the thread it looks to my eyes as if the cowling stripe matches the blue in the Blue/white nose checks/prop spinner. 

Dennis

looks like I may be in for a repaint now. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

When Matchbox issued their 1/72 kit with Dooleybird on it a built kit was presented to the actual pilot. He never made any remark against the stripe being blue and afair was very pleased at the representation of his P-51.

A copy of the magazine article about this can be found on-line

Blue and white have always been 19 squadron colours. 

The only possible reason for the stripe being yellow is if its in the flight colour. Flight colours being Red, Blue and Yellow

• Thanks 1