BAOR Chieftain Colors

Cameron Lynch

18 hours ago, alloydog said:

A quick google and I find that Bronze green and NATO green should be the same, both seem to be listed as RAL 6031.  As for the black, unless you are veering towards a very dark grey, black is black.

Dont believe Google! The British Army Bronze green pre-dates the Mk5 and although it came in different iterations was never the same as NATO green.  

The early service Chieftains (Mk2) were painted in the later shade of DBG, the earlier DBG having been discontinued in the late fifties/early sixties due to the high lead content.

Humbrol 86 is pretty close for the NATO green of the period.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2020 at 5:04 PM, Kiwidave4 said:

Dont believe Google! The British Army Bronze green pre-dates the Mk5 and although it came in different iterations was never the same as NATO green.  

The early service Chieftains (Mk2) were painted in the later shade of DBG, the earlier DBG having been discontinued in the late fifties/early sixties due to the high lead content.

Humbrol 86 is pretty close for the NATO green of the period.

So am I correct to say that the Mark 5 would have been in NATO Green/NATO Black?

Thanks again gents.  Appreciate the help.

Cameron

It was called Green IRR (Infra Red Reflective) back in the Chieftain days. Chieftains were often left outside when they were parked up and this left them in a range of greens from dark to a fairly light colour. The Black IRR would fade in the same fashion down to a Dark Sea Grey shade in some cases.

Cheers

Edited by Phil Evans
  • Like 1

On 9/15/2020 at 3:48 AM, Cameron Lynch said:

Token yank here.  I picked up a Takom Chieftain 5/5P and would like to build it up as a BOAR vehicle.  I'm completely ignorant of the  correct shade of green/black.  Bronze green?  NATO green?  NATO Black or just a flat black?

Thanks in advance.

Cameron

Ah which colour green? You have opened a can of worms with this one😀

personally I use Hataka IRR green or a mix of Vallejo interior green and olive drab 50/50 and NATO black.

HTH 

Ivan

• Thanks 1

Having spent months around Chieftains in BAOR both in garrison duties and on exercises, I found that Tamiya XF-65 (Field Grey) with about 10% of their Olive Drab added just to make it more towards the 'green' spectrum worked perfectly in scale at 1/35 for the green part. For the black, in sunlight it seemed to have a 'purple' (ish) hue from some angles and so I used flat black with about 15% white and 5% purple added to provide the scale black. Straight out of the bottle, Tamiya's NATO Green is way too 'green' for 1980's era Chieftains and other British Army equipment like Land Rovers, M-109, Abbotts, or 432's etc. and looks more appropriate for German and NATO Leopard MBT's etc.

Just look at colour photo's and the green from that era is quite light and not a strong green like NATO green is.

Gary

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having to change my answer, I've just finished a Chieftain and copied Jasper Dog's idea of NATO green with a few drops of yellow and it came out spot on. I used Mig NATO green with a few drops of oily ochre to lighten. The RFI is here:

The black is Mig black lightened with some white.

Bill

• Thanks 1