Italeri 1/72 Bell AH-1/AB47 - A M*A*S*H Mashup

Hi There,

I recently started rewatching M*A*S*H from the start with the movie and then the TV Series. (I've reached Series 5 so far) and got a hankering to try and build one of the helicoptrers.

Most of the research was done on a frame by frame basis of the opening titles, where the Choppers have doors but all the following shots in the series don't.

I'm assuming this was for filming purposes but decide to make mine without.

Here I must give gracious thanks to @The Spadgent for giving me the answer to making the fuel tank from the kit ones.

In the opening titles there is an overhead shot showing a whip aerial rather than a blade one so this was replaced with stretched spru.

My only problem came with making the decals. Guess which idiot didn't realise there was a difference between laser and inkjet papers and ordered the wrong ones and as such the ink just melted away as I tried to put a sealing coat on it.

Microscale almost to the rescue but they are still murky. They will do until I get inkjet paper when they will be replaced.

Overall I'm pleased with the way it came out and it looks good from three feet away.

Primed with UMP Grey

Painted with Tamiya Medium Sea Grey, Olive Green, Nato Black, Chrome Silver, Clear Red, AK Extreme Aluminium.

vEFhcBm.jpg

5Jk0Yw7.jpg

rPnJpgj.jpg

6leSSDi.jpg

cUG83ZX.jpg

46mjqfz.jpg

754qPpc.jpg

Thanks for looking and as always any comments or criticism welcome.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Your helicopter looks mighty fine to me!

Thanks that's very kind.

5 hours ago, kapam said:

That is an amazing build!

I am sure the scale would be a real test of a modeller's skill and precision; which you passed with flying colours.

Congratulations! :clap2::clap2:

Many thanks for your very kind comment.

Cheers,

Alistair

6 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Brilliant. Seems you have beaten me to the finish line. Glad the tank worked out well. Excellent stuff. I love the stretchers. I need to get to the bench quick sharp. 🤩

Johnny

Thanks very much for your comment and your help with this.

I'm looking forward to seeing the fruits of your very busy bench.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Thanks 1