F-4S that is fighting me all the way!

Scimitar F1

I started this VF-161 F-4S 9 years ago and took it up again earlier this year and it has fought me all the way.

it has taught me some lessons like do not use enamels for large areas etc.

Anyway the latest saga is that the Furball decals are the wrong colour and I have masked and painted the majority already. 

Any ideas other than just using the decals and being done with it? Does anyone do custom printing?

• Sad 1

VF-161 was flying the F-4S just prior to transitioning to the F-18 in 1986, so I'm guessing this is a low-viz scheme? I've had more than one decal sheet get those greys wrong. I even had one case where the grey low-viz markings were virtually the same colour as the camo paint - and this was using the kit's decals and recommended paints!    :(

Whose kit are you building and what happened with the enamel paint?

Cheers,

Bill

Looks like the two VF-161 options Furball offers are both overall FS36440 Gloss Gull Grey with FS35237 Medium Grey for the markings and the anti-glare area around the cockpit. Are you working on one of those options?

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown

• 2 weeks later...

I'm interested to hear what issues you've had with enamels on large areas. How are you thinning your paint? Is this anything to do with using one thick coat of paint, as opposed to using several thin coats? 

Cheers. 

Chris.