Battle of Britain 80th Anniversary Diorama

Murewa

Heya,

My first diorama of any sort and first multiple build. Gosh, this took me so long! My personal memorial to the 80th anniversary for the battle of Britain. 

Airfix 1:48 Hurricane Mk1

Tamiya 1:48 Spitfire Mk1

Airfix 1:72 109E-4                        (+1:144 109 for a giggle and first in the scale ... what a fiddle). 

Idea was to have the 109 crashed below after a forced landing at a slightly smaller scale to create a forced perspective effect as the victorious pair of British fighters passed above. Definitely works from above and some angles, perhaps less so from others. Still, I'm fairly happy with it as it's the first time I've ever attempted any sort of diorama.

Propblurs used for the props. I know they're not everyone's cup of tea but I like the effect, especially from a distance on the shelf. 

First time using EZ line as well instead of sprue. Caused a bit of an issue on the port and starboard roundels on the spit as the white I had to cover the tiny imperfections from the join really didn't match the roundels. Proper stuffed the clear canopy on the spit on starboard too ... but it was a kinda hazy splatter from inside ... no idea what I did. OMG .. Tamiya decals ... argh. Haven't particularly modelled exact aircraft (mainly as the Tamiya decals disintegrated and needed some patching from other parts of the kit), though I did use some Xtradecals for the Hurricane. Wanted to try hairspray chipping for the first time but left them too long between the coats and it was impossible to reveal so had to use a brush ... learnt the lesson for next time, though it's hard to get build / paint sessions close together with a toddler and a teaching job. 

Lots of learning for next kits. 

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQLihCQ         Link to Flickr album (can't get the direct insert to work)

• Like 16

19 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

That looks absolutely wonderful,  great work and use of Forced perspective,  I like it.

Chris

Well said and I truly agree!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A more-than-worthy tribute to the BoB anniversary!

The ingenious use of forced perspective really adds to the realism - not to mention the great building & finishing skills on display!

:clap::clap:😎

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CMSCHLOM said:

Love the diorama!  Brings the story to life.  To really liven up the next one, try motorizing the props.  Its not that difficult.  Here is an example:  

Thanks! Wow, that's awesome! I had actually considered it. I'm about to make a Macchi C.205 and have the mini motors on my amazon wishlist. Just haven't built up the courage to commit to getting them yet.