New Meng (Wingnuts) Fokker Dr.I 1/32

Gisbod

Hi all,

Hot off the bench, very nice kit - but the Meng additions are average - Instructions/ Decals. The wings were bent, but easily reformed with hot water and brute force!

All insignia masked and painted.

Work in Progress here:

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=11486.0

Guy

FCB910FC-3CF5-4EFC-95CE-4EFAC31C7BD6.jpg

F5-C14-C37-8-F9-B-44-AE-B89-F-77-FB42-ED

8-FEA62-BE-619-B-42-E2-9-EAC-BDF40-BEF2-

BC86-E92-D-5856-406-E-B10-D-5540746-F2-B

C8173669-7-C7-D-4866-B183-0-E317-E6127-E

FCE18502-F3AB-4C6D-A463-9FE8990F61AA.jpg

4-C2-D623-C-E1-A3-46-F8-896-F-EA3445-A1-

79134-C2-E-176-F-4-D1-E-BBD8-A5-C3-A8004

Edited by Gisbod
  • Like 61
  • Thanks 2

Ah Thanks 😀

12 hours ago, BlueNosers352nd said:

Very nice!  What did you use for rigging?  Got a Stearman sitting here for most of the year scared of rigging it.

Just plain old fishing line... I’ve got the ICM Stearman next up.

3 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

First I've seen and I suspect it'll be quite a while before I see a better one. Very nicely finished and, thankfully, not a red one :) 

Duncan B

Cheers Duncan, shame I won’t see you at SMW this year...

Guy

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Gisbod said:

Just plain old fishing line... I’ve got the ICM Stearman next up.

That's what I've used in the past for antenna wire and a little rigging of the Roden Junkers D.1.   Doesn't have to be tight......just a little heat and it tightens up.

• Like 1

First one out of the starting gate! It looks very,very nice, better that I hoped after reading various on line reviews.  Superb paint job, I really must take the plunge and try masked/painted markings.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

So what is the process then Guy? I’m interested to know what make of paint and colour you use. I haven’t tried painting a wooden propellor yet but I imagine you start with a lighter light brown colour then mask it with narrow strips, apply a darker brown. Apply something like burnt umber oil paint and dry brush to get graining and then, when dry, apply something like Tamiya clear orange. Am I anywhere close?

1 hour ago, Simon Cornes said:

So what is the process then Guy? I’m interested to know what make of paint and colour you use. I haven’t tried painting a wooden propellor yet but I imagine you start with a lighter light brown colour then mask it with narrow strips, apply a darker brown. Apply something like burnt umber oil paint and dry brush to get graining and then, when dry, apply something like Tamiya clear orange. Am I anywhere close?

That’s it in a nutshell Simon, I didn’t use a orange top coat tho.. just the oils... it took me about 10 mins, easy really.

Guy

17 minutes ago, Gisbod said:

That’s it in a nutshell Simon, I didn’t use a orange top coat tho.. just the oils... it took me about 10 mins, easy really.

Guy

Makes it sound very simple - methinks you’ve done this more than once?!!!

Simon

• 3 weeks later...