The Grant is one of my favorite WW II tanks. I love the ungainly shape, and general weirdness of it. It was also one of the first models I ever built, sometime around 1986 or 87. Back then I built the 1/32 scale Monogram kit. This time I picked up something a bit more up-to-date; Takom's 1/35 version. I built Takom's M3 Lee earlier this year, and they're generally nice kits. But the Lee had a really dumb track fit issue and simply HORRENDOUS decals!  I hope the track issue was corrected on the grant. As for the decals, I think I'll be going aftermarket to model on the the tanks with the white outline camouflage schemes. 

IMG_20200912_161956.jpg

Reaching back to my roots, somewhat, I may try to emulate Shepard Paine's M3, that was illustrated in the diorama brochure that Monogram used to include in its kits. 

grant1-1.jpg

• Like 6

Fantastic Scheme choice SoftScience, looking forward to your second build it will be nice to see the comparison with the Miniart kit that Enzo's building.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to work on this a little bit tonight. Work started with the transmission housing cover. This consists of 11 pieces, all of which fit pretty nicely. Remember not to remove the seams from the attachment plates (the big arched pieces) those are supposed to be two halves bolted together.

IMG-20200923-223550.jpg

Lots of great rivet details throughout, on this kit.

IMG-20200923-223605.jpg

Next time we'll look at the rear hull plate and details.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Great subject! I will have to follow along. Very interested in how the Takom goes together. 

On 9/15/2020 at 1:31 AM, SoftScience said:

But the Lee had a really dumb track fit issue

I expect it will be the same. Have you checked out Andy's Takom Grant build and his approach to fitting the tracks? You can watch it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOLn2kQQguA

Ray

• Thanks 1