Hey gang, 

I've got a few subjects lined up for this GB.  The first of these is Special Hobby's 1/48 Spitfire Vc, which will be built as one of the the Spitfires defending Malta in 1942. I began working on the kit during the lackluster spitfire GB Britmodeller had earlier this year, but didn't get very far beyond the making the first few cuts, and painting (badly) the instrument panel. I think I'm well within the 25% limit for pre-started kits. 

IMG_20200423_215759632_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200423_220005439_HDR.jpg
I'll be building one of these two aircraft.

IMG-20200423-220136155-HDR.jpg

Of course, there is much hand-wringing over exactly how the Maltese spits were painted.  Some form of blue overcoat on top of maybe stone/dark earth, or possibly even over the temperate scheme, seem likely. 

I did a few color swatches. I think I'm going to go with an overpainted Mediterranean scheme and not loose too much sleep over it. 

IMG_20200429_181118328.jpg

I hope I can approach this project with more gusto, this time. 

• Like 10

Welcome to the build SoftScience, looks a really nice kit the Spitfires on Malta are quite a talking point at my local club. As they offer such a variation in colour.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here is where I'm at. I still need to add harnesses and gunsight. The sidewalls look like they could use something more, but I suppose once buttoned up, they'll be just fine.

IMG-20200926-193626.jpg

IMG-20200926-193650.jpg

The instruments aren't brilliant, but probably good enough.

IMG-20200926-193722.jpg

• Like 9

9 hours ago, SoftScience said:

I don't know why I'm having such a mental block towards this Kit's cockpit.

It's more a canvas on which you can add details to your liking ;)

7 hours ago, alt-92 said:

It's more a canvas on which you can add details to your liking ;)

That's really nice what you did there. Lately I've been finding myself feeling a bit more lazy about modeling. I kind of want the kit manufacturer to do the thinking for me. I don't know; modeling ennui, I suppose?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SoftScience said:

That's really nice what you did there.

Lately I've been finding myself feeling a bit more lazy about modeling. I kind of want the kit manufacturer to do the thinking for me.

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with expecting a bit more from a kit manufacturer. 
It also depends a bit on the subject, of course. I don't go scratchbuilding on every kit. 

I don't know; modeling ennui, I suppose?

Well, it's a bit of an odd year anyway.

You'll notice that that build has stalled somewhat - largely due to not having the energy/time available after a draining workweek.
Although perhaps I should count myself fortunate enough to have a steady fulltime employment. 
Kind of puts some things in perspective? I can understand not 'feeling' it to an extent.

In the end, do you enjoy building a kit straightforward out of the box? Then I'd say that enjoyment is what matters most. 

I'd love to see this Malta Spit so have fun :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alt-92 said:

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with expecting a bit more from a kit manufacturer. 
It also depends a bit on the subject, of course. I don't go scratchbuilding on every kit. 

Well, it's a bit of an odd year anyway.

You'll notice that that build has stalled somewhat - largely due to not having the energy/time available after a draining workweek.
Although perhaps I should count myself fortunate enough to have a steady fulltime employment. 
Kind of puts some things in perspective? I can understand not 'feeling' it to an extent.

In the end, do you enjoy building a kit straightforward out of the box? Then I'd say that enjoyment is what mattersst. 

I'd love to see this Malta Spit so have fun :) 

I know exactly what you mean. 

Some kits just call out to me to mess with them and improve them. This kit feels like each step is going to be a dare to see if I can make it through the steps without any issue.

Like you, I've been slammed at work (and like you, I'm grateful to have work for getting slammed at) but with as frustrating as life has become, I want to minimize the frustration in my hobby. 

At least when it comes to spitfires, because once again, if this was a type I'm more into, I wouldn't mind screwing around with it a bit :)

but enough rambling. Here is where I'm at today.

IMG-20200927-160726.jpg

the cockpit has been fitted and the out of box detail is fine. The fit of the fuselage halves wasn't great, but better than I expected. The fit of the lower wing was a bit worse. I just glued on the back for now, and I had to trim the cockpit sidewalls to get said back to fit. Unfortunately I think there may be a step between the back end of the part of the fuselage on the wing and the fuselage behind the wing. It was either step there or thick trailing edges at the wing root. We'll see after it dries and the tape comes off.

• Like 6

Very familiar :D Did you also trim away the raised detail a bit on the rear end of the bottom wing? 
I found it helps somewhat, next to very carefully bending the thick plastic a bit to conform better. Still haven't used glue there on mine though ;)

5 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Very familiar :D Did you also trim away the raised detail a bit on the rear end of the bottom wing? 
I found it helps somewhat, next to very carefully bending the thick plastic a bit to conform better. Still haven't used glue there on mine though ;)

I did trim some of the interior frame and helped. A tried to introduce a bit of curvature to the back piece, but as you say. It's thick and a bit on the brittle side.

This is one of those dry fit, dry fit again, adjust and dry fit and fettle again kits :) Looks like you're on top of it though. 

It helps to do the subassemblies for the Vokes, radiator and oil coolers in a similar way, with a bit of care they fit really well. 

Good luck, you've managed to get me to dig out mine again as a diversionary build 👍🏼

• Thanks 1

Things got interesting at the wing. The upper wing has quite a large gap between it and the wing root. The wing is also about 0.25 mm thicker than the root. Sanding the flare at the end of the top wing as well as sanding along the joining surface, has flattened it sufficiently. Some styrene shimming should help it fit the root. We'll see of the other wing has the same problem. This being an SH kit, I'll wager the other wing has an entirely unique fit issue :D

IMG-20200928-204600.jpg

The upper wing has not been glued on yet, in this photo.

• Like 8

Nice work so far fella. Having built the same kit as a Seafire I remember the same issues with wing parts but sure you'll master it :) 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the encouragement, all.

I added a plastic shims to the one wing root. It still needs some filler to even everything out, but it should look okay in the end.

And wouldn't you know it? The other wing fits more or less fine....

IMG-20201002-234851.jpg

This is karma for the Tamiya lightening. Or maybe the lightning is karma for this? ;)

• Like 5

3 hours ago, SoftScience said:

This is karma for the Tamiya lightening. Or maybe the lightning is karma for this? ;)

Everything I've read or seen about the Tamiya kit sounds diametrically opposed to the Special Hobby kit but it isn't a Spitfire/Seafire so we'll just have to make the extra effort to realise our chosen subject :) 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Just just seen this after googling wing fit on Special Hobby Spit. I'm just encountering the same fit issues so seeing how you've got round them is helpful. Think i need to buy some plastic card!