Revell IDS conversion to RAF GR4 ++ !FINISHED! ++

RJ-WobblyHands

This weeks update

The flaps jigsaw puzzle solved and constructed :)  

QNsvBMj.jpg?1

And the outer pylons have also been put together - though these need attacking with a knife, maybe a little putty and a sanding stick to 'RAFize' them - remove the sway braces top and bottom , remove and then add some detail 

jMruUyb.jpg

Finally opened the Flightpath tanks and pod set -  this looks fun - this Tornado will officially have more PE on it than the other 16 kits I have built combined since returning to this hobby ! 

G1ioJtg.jpg?1  

Edited by RJ-WobblyHands
mad images smaller !
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Christer A said:

RAF-ize the pylons? I guess they're correct for an IDS, but how and needs to be modded for a RAF Tonka?

The tabs that point out at 90 degrees top and bottom will need removing  and there is a gentle bulge rather than the stepped appearance of the kit supplied , as below from the GR4 at Elvington (my photo from last Saturday) 

2qdZJUq.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, RJ-WobblyHands said:

This weeks update

The flaps jigsaw puzzle solved and constructed :)  

QNsvBMj.jpg?1

And the outer pylons have also been put together - though these need attacking with a knife, maybe a little putty and a sanding stick to 'RAFize' them - remove the sway braces top and bottom , remove and then add some detail 

Finally opened the Flightpath tanks and pod set -  this looks fun - this Tornado will officially have more PE on it than the other 16 kits I have built combined since returning to this hobby ! 

G'day RJ,

I don't think you got the flaps c orrect. You have the flapvanes ( the uppermost section that extends when the fllaps extend) correct, but I think that both the lower sections should be at the same level and the seam filled. You have 'stepped' the lower section effectively making the flaps a triple slotted Fowler design, which in reality is a double slotted design. The Revell instructions are not very clear but if you have a look at the BM wallkaround section you will see what I mean,

cheers,

Pappy

6 hours ago, Pappy said:

G'day RJ,

I don't think you got the flaps c orrect. You have the flapvanes ( the uppermost section that extends when the fllaps extend) correct, but I think that both the lower sections should be at the same level and the seam filled. You have 'stepped' the lower section effectively making the flaps a triple slotted Fowler design, which in reality is a double slotted design. The Revell instructions are not very clear but if you have a look at the BM wallkaround section you will see what I mean,

cheers,

Pappy

I knew it was all going too well !!! :banghead: ******* grrrr , I know what I am doing tomorrow

12 hours ago, RJ-WobblyHands said:

I knew it was all going too well !!! :banghead: ******* grrrr , I know what I am doing tomorrow

G'day RJ,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I saw a You Tube  vid where the builder (Nigel something?) specifically mentions raising the segments to create a gap (as you have done)  - probably the same one that you have seen which may explain why you made the error. The builder's build sequence is actually very good and avoids most of the fit issues that can result if the kit instruction sequence is followed so the vids are very useful, unfortunately the flap error may also influence others to make the same mistake.

Hopefully you can remedy the situation without too much loss of detail,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

Flaps recovered and now look like a set of Tornado flaps ( thanks @Pappy ) , some work on the pylons and the Boz Pod

OfWAGc2.jpg

Resin Wing Seals in place and wings fixed at the forward position ,I had thought about getting the extra 5Degrees forward sweep , but nobody I know, who will see the displayed model will look at it and say they are not far enough forward ( and that includes a a 617 Squadron 'back seat driver' ;) from the 1980's - when camo was cool and wrap around !! )   

The seams when buttoning her up all came out 99% ok  - a little mr surfacer 500 & light sand is needed in a couple of places , but other than that no steps (went together almost like a Tamiya kit 😜

FAqFnpW.jpg

uRodSRX.jpg

Edited by RJ-WobblyHands
  • Like 8

Progressing nicely . Great save on the flaps, if it’s any consolation, I did the same when building mine based on the same video. Disappointing indeed given the builder is from the IPMS Tornado  SIG, so you would imagine should know the jet🤔 He’s also incorrect in stating glue the intake ramps, part D31 in the fully down position, as they should be in the up position on a parked jet from what my references tell me.

@Pappy saved me from “Flap embarrassment” as well 😀

That  said, following Nathan’s build sequence certainly rewards the builder with a quick relatively hassle free build. I further modified his build sequence by adding the side fuselage panels to the bottom plate before the wheel wells and trunking. This, IMO allows you to get a cleaner join as you can get glue to the entire length of the join unhindered by the wheel wells or trunking.

Bruce 

• Thanks 1

More Progress was made in the week and weekend thanks to the grim weather here :) 

Not sure I should say progress it was more like a fight to the death ... I think one of the airbrakes came from a different model of aircraft - the moulded shape was not the same as either of the parts it was connecting to , some gentle persuasion and a little filler has sorted that out. The big fin attached nicely again taking it nice and slowly there were no steps ,just a little gap at the front that was filled and smoothed. The covers over the swing wing mechanism fitted nicely together , a light sand to remove the tabs for the krueger flaps which have been built closed (I have not seen a parked shutdown Tornado with them open)  

I will do a little work on the intakes this week to tidy them up , but as I will making some FOD covers , I will not spend much time in there

ufCLFGN.jpg

More pictures soon

• Like 6

So this week has been Bang Seat time - I have used the CMK Seats and they have come out fairly well - they look better than the kits seats so I am happy :)

mG9PBhO.jpg

v8ep26n.jpg

but when dropped in the cockpit they look like they are too low about 2-3mm , when looking at pictures of Tornado's the top of the seats are close to the canopy, therefore I am 3d printing a booster for them 

TMwkRTL.jpg

UdYvdkg.jpg

And that looks better 

OGaZVL4.jpg

• Like 8

Having a little play this morning with the Navigators consoles , added some wires  - though I doubt they will be seen with the canopy down

hzlzdrQ.jpg

And from the rear - note if using the Eduard coloured PE replacement has to be added upside down - the 2 small dials are above the main Nav display not below as the instructions would have you install it , therefore I modded the kit part to be flat - the bevel shape is the screen shade at the top , from the walk around pictures I have seen 

CePskF2.jpg

A little weathering and that will be cockpit complete - just need to glue in pilot seat and add control column !

Edited by RJ-WobblyHands
  • Like 5

My weekend & today! modelling update.

I have assembled the Hindenberg's and given the resin a light sand all over to reduce the raised panel weld lines ( I thought they were a little too large) , added some brass rod for fitting to the inner pylons and test fitted to them (LMRTS pod also there) 

PwGfeoy.jpg

. This led to the fuselage pylons and the difference between the euro IDS and RAF pylons ... plasticard , milliput  files sanding sticks at the ready - then I thought (my wife always says this is dangerous ;) ) ... I wonder if I could design and 3D print one (FDM printing I do not have a fancy resin printer)  this is what I came up with ! 

Version 1 : about 0.5mm too deep  (version 2 will correct that :)- looks OK when placed on underside of jet with IDS pylon for comparison

PFFTIAE.jpg

ve5IbH8.jpg

Please ignore wheel well colour , it  looked  good before they were attached to the aircraft now look far too dark!! 

Edited by RJ-WobblyHands
typos !! :)
  • Like 6