Revell IDS conversion to RAF GR4 ++ !FINISHED! ++

RJ-WobblyHands

Not too much of an update so far this week

I have closed up the canopy and attached the nose cone (with a little weight added) the two flightpath node pods are metal and probably add enough weight! , and the first coat of primer has been appplied - I can see some areas that need a little more work! 

Final Cockpit shot :) 

4vw5eAW.jpg

Hiding at the top is a Hindenberg tank - test painted to check MSG colours

tNnPtHm.jpg

agWSXeu.jpg

Edited by RJ-WobblyHands
  • Like 10

Nicely done.

I know the Revell kit gets some stick, but it looks more like a Tornado than anything else available and as some on here are proving can be built into a great looking model.

• Thanks 1

This weekend it was paint on the large lump of plastic :) 

I am not sure if I have ended up with a Tomcat or a Tornado !!! I am resisting the urge to put another couple of 'light coats' of MSG all over  just incase all the shading disappears - decisions , decisions , there are definitely a couple of areas I want to cover a little more   . Daylight sunny photo's make it look totally different to working under bright led's the fun of light :)  

5AOSI9p.jpg

DLKzNsn.jpg

Edited by RJ-WobblyHands
  • Like 9

Looking great - I am doing the same airframe or is double in 1/72 - won't be as detailed as yours!! Nice shading - pre or post?

can I ask what paint you used for the MSG? The ref pics looked a bit lighter in some shots, but I will just lighten with a drop of white...I am looking at testing Mr Paint ( my normal tipple), Mr Color MRSG and I am told that Tamiya RAF MSG 2 is also good so will give that a go...

Obvs your model and choices, but all the ref pics I have seen show them carrying the smaller 1500L tanks rather than the Hindenburgs?

dambusters-70th-anniversary-01.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqr-SdUlZvlmqgFijvNHI

617-pair-1-sml.jpg

will follow along with interest!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tim Moff said:

Looking great - I am doing the same airframe or is double in 1/72 - won't be as detailed as yours!! Nice shading - pre or post?

can I ask what paint you used for the MSG? The ref pics looked a bit lighter in some shots, but I will just lighten with a drop of white...I am looking at testing Mr Paint ( my normal tipple), Mr Color MRSG and I am told that Tamiya RAF MSG 2 is also good so will give that a go...

Obvs your model and choices, but all the ref pics I have seen show them carrying the smaller 1500L tanks rather than the Hindenburgs?

Thanks :) , I  have no real idea what I am doing when it comes to  painting !!   but I tried this method : )    Primed with Mr Surfacer 1500 Black  , then random mottled with Tamiya X80 Royal Light Gray (though MSG with a touch of white will work just as well) , then 3 to 4 coats of very diluted 20/80 Tamiya XF83 to Mr Hobby Self Levelling Thinner .  Using a 0.4mm needle (never have been able to spray with 0.2mm needle) , the light conditions when painting makes the aircraft look different everytime I looked at it!! 

On the tanks I think I will end up using the kit 1500L tanks and keep the Hindenbergs for another Tonka, I have been searching the net for a pic of the aircraft with them fitted but cannot find one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This week update - Decals , decals , decals - I think I love decals 🤣 , no I do not love decals !!! and this coming week there are still what seems 100's of stencils to apply :) 

N7G7Hmb.jpg

ybTkEo3.jpg

and the postman delivered this today :)  the finishing touch! 

p2SPlkz.jpg

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Last 2 weeks , Stencils ,homemade stencils gloss coats, and weathering . Today I applied a Matt coat to seal everything in - I got afraid to touch the fuselage !!! 

This week i hope to finish ... 🤨

uQA5LcY.jpg

Lt9bqBs.jpg

• Like 12

She looks awesome - top work!  Don't blame you for getting a coat of matt on there ASAP.  I have considered varnishing sections of mine as I get the decals on to prevent me from ruining anything, but figured it would slow me down and probably look rubbish.

Al.

• Thanks 1

From the last update there has been a lot (and I mean a lot) of swearing at Revell  , but finally slats , flaps , undercarriage , undercarriage doors have all been fitted.  To finish there are several aerials that need painting and attaching , final matte coat and the anti collision &  port and starboard lights ... and underwing tanks and pods

WrudEQK.jpg

KWKOK9Z.jpg

N3jyt75.jpg

Edited by RJ-WobblyHands
  • Like 9

3 hours ago, Jabba said:

Flaps and slats look very good, I am having a bit of a mare with mine.

Yes fitting the flaps in the down position is not very much fun , mine are OK , not perfect , from normal viewing distance all is good :) 

So to make things interesting - today's lunchtime challenge - Intake FOD covers !!

The base will be tinfoil , it can be easily shaped (and ripped lol) , the real decision is Glue or not glue to the model - here is where I have got to soo far 

ubksG1T.jpg

KsDzClB.jpg

I will have to attach to the model to get the stretched fabric look

LOL I knocked the sensor it has gone droopy on the fix list grrrrrrr

Edited by RJ-WobblyHands
  • Like 4

Looking great now.

The dropped slats and flaps are a challenge but all the more satisfying to see complete. Dont forget the wing tip nav lights. These are also a pain to fit.

Colin

• Thanks 1