Revell IDS conversion to RAF GR4 ++ !FINISHED! ++

RJ-WobblyHands

This kit was one of the 1st I bought when getting back into modelling ... and it has sat as the Stash entry No.1 unbuilt for 4 years, it is now time to build it.  I thought I was going to build it as a GR1 with wrap-around camo as I used to watch in the 80's on holiday at grandparents in Exmoor as they flew through the valleys below us.. But I bought the Edward GR4 cockpit PE :(

The kit sprue shot : IDS kit , Eduard GR4 Cockpit PE, and the Flightpath Tanks and Pods set - living up north for too long (and reusing decal sheets) I think the subject will be the 617 70th anniversary scheme (Though that might change !)

Le93FVe.jpg

Looking at 'The General's' historical Tonka build Thread and now ExDraken's - I feel the need to buy the Aries resin UC bays 

Edited by RJ-WobblyHands
  • Like 3

That is a lot of stuff to remove for the PE to be fitted. Yes Revell's/Eduard's instructions are not the best on this one, lots of holes that need to be drilled not indicated and part numbers mixed up especially when it comes to the flaps.

The most important upgrade was completed : Downloading the Revell 1/48 GR4 instructions - all the core parts are on the IDS sprues 

I have made a start on the PE in the pit and started on some simple sub assemblies deviating slighty from the instructions (watching several you tube build videos for tips and techniques on building this beastie) to get better fit and easier seam smoothing

hGdjLy6.jpg

A1mC7T7.jpg

• Like 7

Like a couple of other builders in this GB I have gone for the undercarrige PE as the kit is sorely lacking in any detail in there and knowing the fun it is to get the kit joins all lined up I resisted the thoughts of a resin set , so Mr Postie delivered these on Monday.

mbNXOZv.jpg

And I have started assembly of main and nose uc wells

R0uNzFK.jpg

ahiJeIq.jpg

and a dryfit session to see what it looks like 

4rBAjpC.jpg

Edited by RJ-WobblyHands
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, CliffB said:

Looking very nice RJ-WH.  Did the you paint the cockpit panels?  They look superb.

The cockpit is the Eduard PE - GR4 Cockpit , the IDS kit cockpit is incorrect for a RAF GR4, even though the kit parts are the same in both boxing's !

1 hour ago, RJ-WobblyHands said:

The cockpit is the Eduard PE - GR4 Cockpit , the IDS kit cockpit is incorrect for a RAF GR4, even though the kit parts are the same in both boxing's !

I wasn't sure whether the PE was pre-coloured, or whether you'd painted it?

Vacation Day today - going for a weekend break in York  Sightseeing ,Shopping and Elvington Air Museum :) , got some bits and pieces done this morning - following the 'Flory Models Nathan's' build method :)

Starting with the spine 

TZ7jwiA.jpg

Flipping over I have added the vanes that are not on the IDS spine and I will add a couple of holes on top for the GR4 antenna - to be scratch built.

fBPPw7L.jpg

Moving back to the front fuselage, since I am building a GR4 the port side gun port has to be removed , and I have drilled and fitted the refueling probe , this allowed me to fill and fair the hole that is visible in the cockpit area.

aQnAkNq.jpg

And finally some wiring added to UC bays

hZKaFvC.jpg

More Updates next week! 

Edited by RJ-WobblyHands
  • Like 5

Last night and lunchtime today was spent joining pieces together  ending up with these sub components ..

1 wobbly cockpit section

orwxPnF.jpg

A pair of wings with all sticky out bits still attached :) 

gB4IHF3.jpg

The central fuselage section ( I am not doing any work to the inner intakes I will be making some FOD covers for the Intakes and exhausts

sYNCbbQ.jpg

and the spine 

0expgz1.jpg

I have performed a test fit of all the above but forgot to take a photo :( - the result is quite pleasing with no steps !!

• Like 4

The missing photo - everything dryfitted together ... wow no steps in the joins  at the 'problem areas' (Thanks to the Flory Models build vlog  :) ) 

I have also dryfitted the main canopy to check its fit as well ,I will glue the wings in the forward sweep as I will be showing her parked on display as seen at RIAT 2013.   Waiting for the resin wing  seals to arrive before gluing everything together. Time to start  on the other assemblies 

C9rx5io.jpg

Edited by RJ-WobblyHands
  • Like 3

The more often I see you lads working on the Revell kit the more I'm tempted to add one into the stash. Looks to be coming together well for you RJ.

• Thanks 1