Tamiya Skyraider USAF

Did you know there is a great Vietnam War Group Build Going on at Britmodeller, right now? If you didn't then you should come check it out. We're having lots of fun, and there are some spectacular models being built. 

Click Me!

This project was was built as part of that GB. 

Tamiya's kit is very easy to build. There were no real fit problems, and engineering is clever, throughout. You get a whole bunch of ordnance options, and two decals options for USAF A-1Js operating during the Vietnam War. Decals are a touch thick, but usable. You can pose the breaks open if you choose. Cockpit detail is not overly abundant, but its enough (see pic below). 

I built this kit straight out of the box. I even used the seat-harness decals. Although I cut them out dry, colored the sides of the backing paper with black marker and glued them to the seat. I used Tamiya and Vallejo paints for the smaller details, but tried out AK Real Colors for the camouflage, and I'm very very pleased! Weathering was done almost entirely with oil dot filters using different combinations of Naples Yellow, Van Dyke Brown, Sap Green, and Paynes Gray. I also  used Gunze dark brown wash on the panels. The oil and fluid leak spills were done with various light brown AK washes. 

This aircraft represents a 602nd Fighter Squadron "Special Ops" aircraft that operated over Laos. These airplanes operated in support of Hmong guerrillas operating against Laotian communists and Vietcong, in the "secret" war that was just one part of the greater Vietnam conflict. They often operated at night, and  carried flare rockets (the green LAU pods on my model) to mark targets for bombers, garnering the nickname "fireflies".  These aircraft were also armed with miniguns, and anti-personnel bomb dispensers (the silver tubes on my model) in addition to their four 20 mm cannons. 

day 

34front-XL.jpg

top-XL.jpg

starboardrear-XL.jpg

Foreward-XL.jpg

and night

IMG-20200913-161627-XL.jpg

IMG-20200913-161730-XL.jpg

IMG-20200913-161915-XL.jpg

IMG-20200913-162038-XL.jpg

IMG-20200913-162249-XL.jpg

here are the decal belts.
IMG-20200913-162137-XL.jpg

Work In Progress Thread Here

• Like 55
  • Thanks 3

Oh man, I have  asoft spot for Skyraiders since watching The Bridges at Toko Ri and Flight of the Intruder.. Such wonderful early A-10s.. ;)

I prefer the naval, dark blue ones but this is not far off from the top fav spot - and yours look great! Very well done sir!

• Thanks 1

It looks great and I love the wheatering as well..

I do have a small remark about the wing droptank though as those on the USAF Spads were the smaller ones and I believe that these were 100 gallons less than the centertank...

A-1H_Skyraider_from_the_1st_SOS_in_fligh

This is a often overlooked feature..

I built one in the past and used a 1/72 F16 droptank with the tamiya droptank fin..wich was exactly in scale..
Nevertheless most people won’t notice it 🤫😁and your Spad certainly looks da part...

Thank you for sharing, Jan

• Thanks 1

Your SPAD has the look of an honest to goodness Vietnam workhorse. Excellent work all the way around. Cockpit caught my eye and it's great!

Edited by SAT69
misspell
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, janneman36 said:

I built one in the past and used a 1/72 F16 droptank with the tamiya droptank fin..wich was exactly in scale..
Nevertheless most people won’t notice it 🤫😁and your Spad certainly looks da part...

Thank you for sharing, Jan

Well, live and learn, I guess :)

Good to know, considering the tanks are on poly caps, it will be easy enough to replace, should I ever decide to do so*. Thanks for the tip

*I probably wont. Once a model is done, and on display for a little while, it generally stops mattering to me. In a few years, it'll be covered with dust, then some parts will fall off, and then it'll go where all my models eventually go. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SoftScience said:

*I probably wont. Once a model is done, and on display for a little while, it generally stops mattering to me. In a few years, it'll be covered with dust, then some parts will fall off, and then it'll go where all my models eventually go. 

Same here 😉

cheers,Jan