Salvador Fg1d corsair upper surfaces camo

Davide Calzolari

hi,

ive a decent amount of pix on the fg-1d salvadorean corsair during the fmaous  soccer war in their typical tropicla camo/livery-but for the upper surfaces ive only the "poor" palette i post here in attachment

any help?pix of better palette?

thnx in ad

salvador-fg-1.png

Edited by Davide Calzolari

From what I have read over the years, the aircraft were hastily camouflaged and we are probably dependent on contemporary photos to work out a pattern. I also have an interest in building one as my wife has quite strong links with El Salvador. 

Hi there

Well you can consider me one Salvadoran modeller and I can tell you there is no upper side photo and there is no record of any organized pattern, they were camouflaged using hardware store paints and in a hurry.

I know for sure you not going to liked but no aircraft (Corsair or Mustang P-51D) used the yellow ID during the actual fighting they were done practically at the end of the 100 Hours War

Best regards 

Armando

Edited by RAGATIGER
forgot to mention someting
  • Like 3

Davide, pictures of Salvadoran FG-1D Corsairs during the July 1969 war are actually very rare (not talking about the ones with yellow bands, very popular and post war, all of them).  I provided to Aztec the pictures of the wraparound camo Corsairs that they used in their decal sheets, and have to say that there is not a good picture from the upper part of the wings.  I can confirm that the camo was wraparound (no black undersides as seen in one version in Aztec instructions) and that there were two small roundels under the wings. 
   Let me check tomorrow if I can find something for you showing at least something from the upper part of the wings.

Marco 

Davide, I could find only 3 pictures of FAS Corsairs wearing the the July 1969 War paint scheme where wings can be seen (war lasted only from July 14 to18, please keep this in mind, that is why it is locally known as "the 100-hour war").   

1. The first picture shows FAS 220, around the time before the war, in the wraparound camo and markings used during the war:  three tones, similar to Dark Green/Medium Green/Dark Tan.  No yellow bands nor fuselage roundels were used during the war, they were added only after the war was over, the fuselage roundels for example only like 4 months after the war ended.  Notice that FAS 220 did not have rocket racks installed under the wings.  You can see the irregular, blotched camo on the wing, similar to what Aztec suggests.  Arresting hooks were long gone, and the only external ordnance that FAS Corsairs carried, was only HE 100pd bombs.

1FqFflX.jpg

2. This is a picture of an unidentified FAS Corsair, around 8 months before the war, already with the three tone camo (the three tone camo was applied around 10 months before the war).  Definitely not FAS 220, it is evident that the camo on the right wing has a much different pattern, with a quite large Dark Tan (Sand-ish) area crossing the wing.  The rest of the wing is not clear enough to tell.  Colors were fresher on this picture, you can even see that they were glossy initially.  The structures in front plane are wingtip tanks from the newly arrived Cavalier F-51 Mustang IIs.

WSuRayvl.jpg

3. And the last one I´ve got, a non-ID FAS Corsair during the war (pilot in front of the Corsair, Capt. Cortez, was shot down and killed July 17).  Notice the camo wrapping under the leading edge of the wing, absence of yellow bands of course, and the same blotched pattern on the fuselage, I suppose it was similar on the wings.  Notice that the spinner is Black (or Dark Blue?).  Interesting are the 2 x 100pd bombs on the floor under the wing.  Salvadoran Corsairs had adapters to carry 100pd bombs on each rocket stub under the wings (total of 4 x 100pd bombs under each wing, total of 10x100pd total adding the fuselage racks.  But the complete load was seldom used)

1btAF6tl.jpg

And that is what I got.  Each Corsair was painted following the mood of the day, with local paint mixes, no FS whatsoever, maybe trying to resemble SEA tones from the Cavalier F-51 Mustang II the FAS was in the process of receiving.  Each had a different pattern as you can easily see, so you have wide author´s license about that. 

I am currently about to finish my own "100 Hour War FAS Corsair", using Tamiya´s 1/48 F4U-1D kit, and this is my interpretation of the scheme.  I am trying to replicate the scene with the three crew from above:

LNT57ENl.jpg

IRHSSS4l.jpg

euaih09l.jpg

Summarizing, for the FG-1D during the July 14-18, 1969 war:

a) El Salvador´s Corsairs participating in the war were only 5: FAS 202, 204, 215, 219 and 220

b) All of them wore three-tone wraparound camouflage, resembling SEA colors, in a unique blotchy pattern

c) Only markings included two small roundels under the wings, a tiny national flag with white FAS and a/c number on each side of the tail.  

d) Walkways patterns on the wings varied (FAS 202 and 204 did not have walkways, while 215, 219 and 220 had an L shaped on the right wing and a square on the left)

e) Propeller pinner were either Black, or Dark Blue, or could have been even Green.

f) All had the rocket stubs installed except FAS 220.  And all could carry adapters for 100pd bombs under the wings, attached to the rocket stubs.

g) Cockpit configuration was standard for an FG-1D, including original gunsights and windshield armor.

Marco

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• 1 year later...
On 9/22/2020 at 11:22 PM, Carlos Guate said:

HI, adding more info related to the FAS corsairs, here is at least for me the most accurate painted model, built by a fellow Salvadorian modeller, take notice that no arresting hook is notherworthy.

check the link

MODELISMO PLASTICO SALVADOREÑO GALERIA

cheers.

Carlos

That is a superb Corsair and, as you say, and accurate colour scheme.:)

Martin