Bedford MK Tactical Aircraft Refueller

Courageous

Hi All,

Gearing up for the next build as current builds are waiting for the paint shop, tracks or bases. Next is this Bedford MK Tactical Aircraft Refueller in 1/76 by JB Models. Picked this kit up at a pre-lockdown model show, can you remember them, for £4.

20200828-154816.jpg

Boxart

20200828-154948.jpg

Sprue 1

20200828-155000-1.jpg

Sprue 2

20200828-155055-1.jpg

Sprue 3

20200828-154846.jpg

Instructions

Had a heart stop moment when a major part was missing when I emptied the box..

20200914-122623-1.jpg

...this was in a clear bag and it was trapped in the box and I couldn't see it...until I put my glasses on and looked inside the gloomy box.

I would like to do a little dio of it refuelling a 'copter but suitable cheap options are 'hens teeth', so I'll have to think about that when the time comes.

Stuart 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Ooh - nice choice. I love the Bedford MK series.

Got to have a go at driving one over an off road track some years ago - loads of fun.

Friendship models do a nice set of metal wheels and did do a detailing set that had a roof plate, wing mirrors and some other bits (not sure if they still offer it).

Following with interest

Ben

• Like 1

Moving rapidly along.

20200923-125855-1.jpg

Remedial work carried out on the pump housing and tank and fitted to chassis.

I'm having trouble tracking down some kind walkaround to give me details, so the first query.

20200923-125923-1.jpg

I'd like to tart up the pump housing but not sure how. Wanting to do a desert paint job, I'm assuming that the internals would remain the overall green colour but what about everything else? Should their be anything else in there? A pic would be nice.

20200923-130107-1.jpg

Nothing much to add to the cab part except the radiator grill. Drilled out the lights so that i can the internals chrome and fill with clear stuff. Before that, the cab needs to be painted so....help! I suppose, like the pump housing, it'll be green but what about seat colour, etc. Pic would be nice.

20200923-130132-1.jpg

This platform, is it meant to be solid or is it more a grating? If the latter, I'll be excavating the innards and replacing it.

20200923-130143-1.jpg

Wheels, of course they are. Ben @badger mentions metal options, what's wrong with these?

Stuart

Ps. With the speed of this little thing, I better start looking at the next build. Any guesses as to what's next?

• Like 5

Great progress on this

Wheels, of course they are. Ben @badger mentions metal options, what's wrong with these?

Metal ones are a bit more detailed with a more accurate tread pattern from memory.

http://friendshipmodels.co.uk/epages/927b314c-3d48-4f6e-9263-90c86771b2e6.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/927b314c-3d48-4f6e-9263-90c86771b2e6/Products/WBM76068

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, badger said:

Metal ones are a bit more detailed

Cheers Ben. As I've noticed that Friendship have replenished their stock, I've added the wheel set to other goodies that are needed.

12 minutes ago, badger said:

great photo inside the pump housing

Indeed it is but it bares no resemblance to the kit option.

Stuart

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Cheers Ben. As I've noticed that Friendship have replenished their stock, I've added the wheel set to other goodies that are needed.

Indeed it is but it bares no resemblance to the kit option.

Stuart

Friendship are one of my go to places for 1/72 bits. Always had good service from them.

Whoops- just spotted that - sorry. Can't seem to find any photos of a matching one but did find a 1/48 kit which gives a bit more detail.

http://www.asam.co.uk/mmbed.html

Will keep looking.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

21 hours ago, badger said:

Will keep looking.

I've spent an age hunting out the 'MK' and found very little, so I've made a executive and fitted the screen over the hose front as I wouldn't be happy with its look.

The little time I had today, I fitted the rear mudguards and ladder and moved the build home as it nears priming. 

Stuart

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Another 'shelf queen' needing to be moved on. As mentioned above, a quick pic:

20200923-130132-1.jpg

This needed to be improved.

20211112-082217.jpg

So, innards removed and some suitable mesh fitted.

20200914-122623-1.jpg

This 'ere part needs to have its glazing masked and painted green as this will be the interior colour but not this weekend as it's off the SMW 2021 for the weekend.

Stuart

• Like 7

Nice work on the mesh, its those little touches that count!

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

not this weekend as it's off the SMW 2021 for the weekend.

Envious? me? never!🤢

Enjoy your weekend and have a few beers on me!

Terry

• Like 1

20211121-160652.jpg

With the exception of the cab, the parts were primed in grey and the cab was painted AK NATO Green as it will be the interior colour.

20211123-134513.jpg

Everything was the painted with AK Light Stone and tyres painted with my go to Panzer Grey by Vallejo. Still got to paint the extinguishers, instructions say 'sea blue' but I have seen models with red ones... The canvas front of the pump housing nneds a different shade I feel and the roof hatch(?) needs to be looked at maybe, was this also canvas I wonder.

Stuart

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...