Airfix 1/48 Red Arrows Folland Gnat T.1

I haven't done many jets recently, but I have memories of the pre-Hawk era of the Red Arrows, and these were on offer at the local shop for the same price as the 1/72-scale Gnat.

I was pleasantly surprised to find the sprues in standard pale grey plastic, unlike the red usually found on kits of this type.

The only significant change made was to extend the fairing for the tail navigation light along the port side of the fin so it matched the starboard side. The cover for the nose compartment was slightly ill-fitting; it was left off till late in the process in case it needed any ballast in the nose, but it didn't. . .

Though not having an airbrush, I wanted to get a smooth unblemished finish as far as possible, as an earlier attempt on a 1/32 Red Arrows Hawk resulted in a very lumpy texture. This had been finished with Fiery Red (Revell 31) which looks just right (from a distance), but appears too orangey for the Gnat. The Arrow Red (Humbrol 238) recommended for the Airfix Gnat looks very similar.

The panel lines seem rather overdone, so they were reduced in depth by having a lump of Polyfilla rubbed over them. Then two coats of matt Scarlet (Humbrol 60) followed by two of gloss Bright Red (Humbrol 19), rubbed down after each layer. Then a few coats of Klear before and after adding the decals.

The final step is to add the nose probe (otherwise it is certain to get broken at some stage).

The end result seems a bit toy-like, but I think the original aircraft also gave that impression. Even in this larger scale the Gnat is smaller than a 1/72 Lightning. Photographing in direct sunlight tends to show up all the imperfections in the gloss paint, so I waited for some thin cloud to go across. . .

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Alpha Juliet said:

Brings back some fond memories of going to air displays with my dad!

I had exactly the same thoughts. Dad used to take me to the displays at Coltishall (Lightnings then). The reds would be there with their Gnats.

Great build Richard,

Cheers

Pete