ANR G.55 Sottoserie 0

• 1 month later...

Now this is almost like one of those "return from the dead" zombie movies... anyway yes, I'm still working on the G.55..

I'd have liked to do more and quicker but I hit a number of problems.

First was deciding on the lower fuselage details... I had planned to just scribe new panel lines but then in the end I changed my mind and decided to add raised panels. Took me a while to cut them properly and I'm still not sure of the shape, anyway here are the lower surfaces at the moment:

resized_da820812-9201-4d18-8b59-c8ac0e22

I have glued in place the resin parts for the lower cowling MGs spent case ejectors... actually I'm not sure they are for the spent cases, they may just be for the links. In previous Italian fighters the cases were stowed rather than ejected, as brass cases can be reloaded and brass was not easily available and expensive in the Country.

On the upper fuselages not much to show apart from the intake for the engine:

resized_3c1795e9-0b7a-48b2-a826-a9fdfda8

Now why is the model so messy ? I primed the wings with a spray filler and then sanded this to try and obliterate the panel lines that I thought I had filled... I also used dark green pain to check the fit in various areas, and found several spots where I had to do some more filling and sanding.

Now to the main reason for the delay: I checked the canopy ! And it is wrong ! SH offers vacuformed single piece canopies in this kit but the whole canopy is too high. It shows a lot and I don't know what to do.. I considered trimming the canopy at the base but this would also make it narrower and really the canopy is already almost a bit too narrow as it is to fit on the model. I looked for replacements but these do not exist.

Then something came to my mind... the "Serie 5" fighters were requested to use a number of standard components by the Air Force and the windscreen seems to have been one of these. I have yet to check this properly (that means checking on the parts catalogue if the part numbers are the same) but looking at pictures of the G.55, the MC.205 and the Re.2005 the windscreens do indeed look identical. That could have solved the problem as I do have Falcon replacements for the MC.205... however these are much narrower than the opening in my Fiat, while the parts from the old Supermodel kits are even taller than the SH part.

As of today I still have no decent canopy for my model. What I have done is to cut the windscreen from the opening part of the SH canopy, that in itself was a very delicate exercise. Now the windscreen is still too tall but at least by displaying the canopy open I'm hoping that the excessive height will be less noticeable

• Like 6

Good to see some progress on this beautiful fighter, G :clap: Have you thought of vacforming a replacement for the windscreen and canopy? Drop me a PM if you are interested

Ciao