Advice requested on problems with salt weathering technique

lesthegringo

Hi all, this thread follows on from another regarding best silvers to use for base coat prior to weathering. The purpose of the other thread was to establish the toughest silver base so that I could use mechanical weathering methods, but one of the reasons for doing so was some issues I have with the salt weathering method.

I have successfully used the salt weathering technique  on a few models now, but my experience of it is that in my hands it is only any good for pretty extreme weathering. The reason for this is that it leaves the remaining top coat rough due to little bits and traces of salt getting trapped under the top coat. This means where I want significant leading edge erosion and chipping, but still want good paint on the rest of the wing, I lose a lot of the value of the method as it becomes less random. You essentially have to paint on the water, and then apply the salt specifically, so you get stripes rather than feathered chipped areas. The same goes for panel line chipping.

So it is clear I need to revisit my technique as other have been able to use if for some great models. I also am keen to hear of any other ways to do this, my focus is 1/48th aircraft so I know different methods suit different scales and subjects

Cheers

Les 

Edited by lesthegringo