Revell p47 ETO paint colours help please.

Doggy

Hi all. 

I bought the revell 1/72 p47 today. Getting it home I realized it was an airforce plane, for some reason I assumed it was navy.

Anyway revell want me to mix blue and white twice in different ratios for the top camouflage.

There's a third unmixed blue on the tail fin.

I don't fancy mixing paint and I'm happy to buy a paint close to the original colour, but I don't know the original colour. 

Can you help?

I'm more than happy to buy a Vallejo model air set, 71182 I think. Does that cover the blues? On the Vallejo set they are called Grey's.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2020 at 11:47 PM, Doggy said:

Fantastic. Thanks.

I don't know if it helps but for that build I used Humbrol 189 Insignia Blue for the dark blue colour, 157 Azure Blue for the light blue and 47 Sea Blue for the rudder.

I think the camouflage colours came out well and the finished model looks close enough to the old colour photos for me, I'm very much a 'that's close enough' modeller though! I'd use a different colour for the rudder if I made this kit again, the match to the serial number isn't very good.

It's a nice little kit though and I'm sure you'll enjoy putting it together, mine isn't my finest modelling effort but it takes pride of place in the cabinet purely because of the colour scheme.

• Like 2

I agree that Insignia Blue is a good starting point. When I built mine some years ago, I actually mixed in a small amount of white because photos seem to show a shade very slightly lighter than the national insignia. For the light blue, I used more white with the same Insignia Blue until I came up with a shade that looked close to photos. I think that may have been the way the color was achieved in real life.

Assuming you're doing a plane from the 63td FS, 56th FG, the hardest color match was the bright blue rudder, which had to match the serial number. I ended up getting as close as I could mixing various blues, and then painting the serial decals after they had been applied.

spacer.png

• Like 1