Tim's Torch Martlet - COMPLETED

Setting a marker in the sand for this kit.

Airfix-Martlet.jpg

I've built an Airfix Wildcat previously.

Parts.jpg

I'll be aiming for this option,  masquerading as an American

Star.jpg

As I'd built this Academy FM-1 in 2013.

Academy-FM1-Wildcat.jpg

Won't be starting until my Tornados are completed

• Like 10

I like those Torch markings, I didn't realise there was a 1/72 Martlet with a Torch scheme OOB so thanks for that, I will pick that one up. I started a Martlet a while ago, AZ I think it was, but I didn't get along with it and never finished it. Enjoy the build.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

About to start working on this one,  now the Tornados are completed.

Here are the parts.

Parts.jpg

I'm sure I'm not the first to do this, but last night I compared the instructions with the Wildcat.

It was as I'd thought, only difference being the engine and cowling.

This time I'm forewarned of the undercarriage.

• Like 7

This kit builds up into a lovely little Martlet Tim. However, do be careful with the undercarriage, its more than a little bit tricky and awkward. It's exacerbated by the lack of tolerance of these new Airfix kits when there's paint on mating surfaces. That being said it's pretty near impossible to paint the undercarriage after assembly due to access. Just be patient and take your time. 

Check out the order of the Unit markings as well.  The Order was strict in the FAA. Carrier/Squadron/Aircraft I’d.

Ø=Formidable,  7=888 NAS,  D=Aircraft.

Both side should read Ø7D in that order.  How they are arranged around the roundel/star is not necessarily fixed..

I converted the Tamiya 1/48 F4F-4 to make the same aircraft representing Jeram in my collection (I’m currently working on his BoB Hurricane)..

49007219886_1d2273fbc0_w.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Ø=Formidable,  7=888 NAS,  D=Aircraft.

Both side should read Ø7D in that order.  How they are arranged around the roundel/star is not necessarily fixed..

Hi Grey, I see that the Airfix painting diagram that Tim has shown shows D-07 on the port side but wonder if, from what you've said, that should be 0-7D?  Keen to know as I have one of these too.

Steve

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, 825 said:

This kit builds up into a lovely little Martlet Tim. However, do be careful with the undercarriage, its more than a little bit tricky and awkward. It's exacerbated by the lack of tolerance of these new Airfix kits when there's paint on mating surfaces. That being said it's pretty near impossible to paint the undercarriage after assembly due to access. Just be patient and take your time. 

I learned the lesson of the undercarriage -the hard way during my previous build.

Being careful, preparation is key, taking my time - and following the instructions.

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Hi Grey, I see that the Airfix painting diagram that Tim has shown shows D-07 on the port side but wonder if, from what you've said, that should be 0-7D?  Keen to know as I have one of these too.

Steve

In short Yes.

Just took this so hope it helps.  

50400402433_28a9990aa9_w.jpg

Photo of the real aircraft in the background (the earlier picture I put up was my model) with my model in front showing the port side.  Note I haven’t seen a photo of the port side of this particular aircraft but it is based on other aircraft in 888 NAS.

Also look at box art - another Formidable Martlet..

Edited by Grey Beema
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Is this caption wrong?

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.190297515.1856324

A Grumman Martlet naval fighter of No 888 Squadron Fleet Air Arm taking off from the deck of HMS FORMIDABLE in the Mediterranean.

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.177721509.1856324

One of the coldest jobs in Northern waters is that of the aircraftsmen who sit on the chocks, as the engine of the aircraft is run up. An aircraftsman on the chocks as a Grumman Martlet of (No FN 144) is warmed up on board HMS FORMIDABLE.

These are not Operation Torch Martlets, so was the squadron number changed at some time prior to that operation?

Chris

• Like 2

Lovely job.  

It is actually a bit of a celebrity aircraft

FN112/Ø7D. 888 NAS HMS Formidable.  Op Torch. 

Lt DM Jeram used this aircraft on 06.11.42 to destroy a Bloch 175 Shadower and on 09.11.42 he was avian flying this aircraft when he shared in the destruction of a Ju88 (Italian Markings with German crew).

• Like 1