Old School Spad, Monogram's 1/48 A-1 Skyraider VNAF, Finished!!!

modelling minion

51 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

My next job is to get some paint on after fitting the front canopy, I just need to decide which paint to use. The decal sheet states FS 36440 which is US Navy Light Gull Grey but I have also seen where FS 36373 is quoted as the colour so any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

You mean FS 36473 don't you? The Air Force called it ADC grey, or sometimes referred to COIN grey. The VNAF 1st 24 Skyraiders were from US Navy in the early 60's, where Lt Gull Grey was used. The ones came from USAF later on were COIN grey. So both colors called out are correct. Based on this old pic, I would say COIN grey is a good bet.

50375959758_b283566f99_b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Triet Cam said:

You mean FS 36473 don't you? The Air Force called it ADC grey, or sometimes referred to COIN grey.

You are exactly right, don't know why I typed the wrong FS number. The aircraft I want to build looks like it has been painted in this colour rather than Light Gull Grey, it has certainly not got the white undersides of the very early US Navy scheme. Fortunately I think I have that colour in stock, which is good as I think it is the same colour for my T-28.

9 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

Here's another I missed! Sorry Craig, nice start though :smile:

Thanks Nigel, there are a lot of builds on here so missing one or two is very easy to do, you want to try co-hosting it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, modelling minion said:

You are exactly right, don't know why I typed the wrong FS number. The aircraft I want to build looks like it has been painted in this colour rather than Light Gull Grey, it has certainly not got the white undersides of the very early US Navy scheme. Fortunately I think I have that colour in stock, which is good as I think it is the same colour for my T-28.

Looks like Cutting Edge is callig out Lt Gull Grey, which is understandable. It can be confusing, especially 20 yrs ago  when references were hard to find. Hopefully the photo above, which is one of the covered subject in the Cutting Edge decals, was not altered in any way.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Triet Cam said:

Looks like Cutting Edge is callig out Lt Gull Grey, which is understandable. It can be confusing, especially 20 yrs ago  when references were hard to find. Hopefully the photo above, which is one of the covered subject in the Cutting Edge decals, was not altered in any way.

I don't think that the picture has been altered, the white and red on the props look right to me and the grey has a bluish tint to it which looks like ADC grey to my eyes.

gee you have made some nice progress on her!!

No that picture looks right colourwise, though that front cowling section looks to be a slightly darker colour...... or the panel between the cowling front and flaps is a lighter colour.....or it's just the light or me? :undecided:

One thing it does show though is how small those gun barrels look and how wrong Trumpie got them!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, trickyrich said:

gee you have made some nice progress on her!!

No that picture looks right colourwise, though that front cowling section looks to be a slightly darker colour...... or the panel between the cowling front and flaps is a lighter colour.....or it's just the light or me? :undecided:

One thing it does show though is how small those gun barrels look and how wrong Trumpie got them!

Cheers Rich, yes as Triet points out the centre section of the cowling was painted white on this aircraft, and others too.

The gun barrels are indeed quite small and Monogram has done a good job on them, and so far I haven't broken any off!

4 hours ago, Triet Cam said:

The center cowl panel was white, which was correctly depicted in the Cutting Edge decals.

Yes that section is white. The Cutting Edge instructions and decals look pretty good accuracy wise and I can understand why they called out Light Gull Grey for the over all scheme.

On 9/23/2020 at 9:59 PM, Triet Cam said:

Based on this old pic

Actually Triet, that is the very aircraft I want to build! I have been having a look online for other pics of her and have found her with slight varieties in the scheme. These revolve mainly around the colour of the central section of the engine cowling which seems to range from either white (as shown in the excellent picture above), ADC Grey or even black, here are the links to the pics;

http://www.vnafmamn.com/aircraft/VNAF_skyraider14.jpg

http://www.vnafmamn.com/aircraft/VNAF_skyraider13.jpg

http://www.vnafmamn.com/aircraft/VNAF_A1H115.jpg

Now I have to decide which to do! Any preferences guys? I also noticed that the larger weapons pylons on the first linked picture are white which is a nice little difference, and the flaps on the pics with black cowl parts are also white, well at least the STBD one is. Now would this be the same on the other side or a replacement from another aircraft in the earlier US Navy scheme?

Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Now I have to decide which to do! Any preferences guys? I also noticed that the larger weapons pylons on the first linked picture are white which is a nice little difference, and the flaps on the pics with black cowl parts are also white, well at least the STBD one is. Now would this be the same on the other side or a replacement from another aircraft in the earlier US Navy scheme?

Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated.

White cowling + black prop + gray + lots of bombs is my vote. 

Chris

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chrisj2003 said:

Chris

Second. White panel cowl with the 514 FS Phoenix head, which was often mistaken for a duck.  You have any WW2 bombs on hands? Those early A-1's often spotted with Uncle Sam's WW2 surplus. The MK's has not existed in Nam yet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chrisj2003 said:

Chris

12 minutes ago, Triet Cam said:

Second. White panel cowl with the 514 FS Phoenix head, which was often mistaken for a duck.  You have any WW2 bombs on hands? Those early A-1's often spotted with Uncle Sam's WW2 surplus. The MK's has not existed in Nam yet.

Sounds like we have a winner then chaps, white cowl panel it will be.

I have plenty of WWII era bombs Triet so arming her won't be an issue, I do fancy hanging a couple of Napalm canisters on her as well though, I'm pretty sure I have seen pics of the early scheme with Napalm being carried.

What do you think to the idea of white large pylons and a replacement flap in white too?

Just to prove that I haven't been spending all my modelling time looking at pictures of VNAF Spads, although that has taken a fair bit of time, here are some pics of the model as she stands at the moment;

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

As you can hopefully see she has had her ADC grey applied, in fact a couple of coats. The first was given a gentle rub down which has darkened it a bit and then a second coat was applied which shows up as being slightly lighter giving her a faded and been parked in the sun for a bit too long look. the sharp eyed among you might also notice a strip of masking tape along the leading edge of the wings, this is covering some aluminium paint which was sprayed on earlier to represent the corugard which was applied to the leading edges of the wings.

Next job will be to get a good gloss coat on her followed by some decals, then I can start the fun part, weathering!

Thats it for today so thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 7

Oooo I do like the finish a lot!!! :thumbsup:

It does have a nice gentle unevenness to the finish, which I think is perfect when judging from the photos above.

This one is nearing the end, lovely work so far.....as usual!:D

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Oooo I do like the finish a lot!!! :thumbsup:

It does have a nice gentle unevenness to the finish, which I think is perfect when judging from the photos above.

This one is nearing the end, lovely work so far.....as usual!:D

8 hours ago, Triet Cam said:

Love the random sun bleached look. It's more realistic than the panel line shading. The fade out look is immaculate. Is that Humbrol ACD gray?

Thanks guys, very much appreciated.

The paint I used is Xtracrylix ADC Grey, I only use acrylic paint. It sprays quite nicely and gives a nice smooth finish.

There's a fair bit to do yet Rich so don't go expecting her in the gallery too soon.