Old School Spad, Monogram's 1/48 A-1 Skyraider VNAF, Finished!!!

modelling minion

7 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Just catching up Craig she's looking great!

Far too kind as usual mate.👍

Well as promised here are some pics of the Spad as she stands at the minute. I decided to spray some lighter areas on the upper surfaces to break up the colour a bit, not sure if it needs to be knocked back a bit though, what do you guys think?

spacer.png

Also played around with the exhaust stains to get some more colours in there and some near vertical stains/stripes which you can see on pics of the real things;

spacer.png

spacer.png

When I added the faded areas I made sure to include both the national markings and the Tiger stripes on the fuselage;

spacer.png

spacer.png

And just for our glorious leader here is one of the underside of the forward fuselage showing some staining and oil leaks as requested;

spacer.png

And that is how she looks at the minute. I have made a start on the ordnance, I'm going with a mix of Napalm, bombs and rockets, and need to fix an aerial wire from behind the cockpit to the tail and fix the turny bit at the front on and she will be just about finished.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 6

nicely done, I do like the weathered look.

Gosh those vertical exhaust bands you see on Skyraiders....Im not sure how we're meant to replicate those!! :unsure:

Though I reckon someones been underneath and did some cleaning when compared to the photo Triet posted on my thread. :D

• Like 1

Well as promised here are some pictures of the finished Spad, taken in a very brief period of sun this afternoon so I apologise for the shadows on some of the pictures.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And there you have it, I shall post 5 more pics in the gallery.

I have to say I have really enjoyed this build, it may be an old kit with raised panel lines but the old girl has gone together very nicely and builds into a great and accurate representation of the real thing and I would happily build another.

I hope that she can serve as a fitting tribute to the brave VNAF aircrews and the armed forces of the Republic of Vietnam in general who are often overlooked in their own fight for survival.

A big thank you to all who have commented and liked my build along the way and especially our great leader @trickyrich without whom we wouldn't be taking part in this GB. And as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 10

• modelling minion changed the title to Old School Spad, Monogram's 1/48 A-1 Skyraider VNAF, Finished!!!
40 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well done Craig.. Great results on your Spad ! 

Thanks Dennis, much appreciated.

40 minutes ago, Triet Cam said:

The bird looks dirty and ready, the only proper way a Spad should look. Nice job.  👍.  I actually think the Monogram is not bad, other than the undersized cowl that have been pointed out. 

Thanks Triet, yes it still looks very much like the brute of an aircraft that the Spad is.

Well done Craig, she's awesome!!!!! :thumbsup:

The finish is great, she looks like a Skyraider should, you've just to love the look of these.

Plus it's great to see a Golden Oldie in the build, and it still looks good today, I'm super glad you brought this to the build.

I'm glad you enjoyed the build, it's always great to have you along.....now run along, the drinks trolly is waiting for you and there's lots of thirsty members! :D

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Well done Craig, she's awesome!!!!! :thumbsup:

The finish is great, she looks like a Skyraider should, you've just to love the look of these.

Plus it's great to see a Golden Oldie in the build, and it still looks good today, I'm super glad you brought this to the build.

I'm glad you enjoyed the build, it's always great to have you along.....now run along, the drinks trolly is waiting for you and there's lots of thirsty members! :D

Thanks mate, I think she still captures the look of the Skyraider very well and can't be a bad kit as they sell for about the same as the more modern Tamiya one. I wasn't sure if I had overdone the weathering to the upper surfaces but I like it and they were kept very busy whilst spending a lot of time sat outside in the elements.

I'll get back to y#the drinks trolley then!

On 10/26/2020 at 10:09 PM, modelling minion said:

Thanks Paul, very much appreciated.

How are you mate? Not heard from you in a while.

I’m good thanks for asking Craig.
True I’ve been a bit awol of late.I started running a lot (lost 10kg), we sold our house and have been wrapped up in that, I am relocating my business and with 4 kids on top has all eaten into my modelling time. But I have a 1/32 p-51 in progress in the sidelines offline. I will be back on track soon! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dansk said:

I’m good thanks for asking Craig.
True I’ve been a bit awol of late.I started running a lot (lost 10kg), we sold our house and have been wrapped up in that, I am relocating my business and with 4 kids on top has all eaten into my modelling time. But I have a 1/32 p-51 in progress in the sidelines offline. I will be back on track soon! 

Great to know that you're okay Paul, even if there is slightly less of you.😁

Sounds like your life is very full at the minute, I would be very surprising if you found time for any modelling at all.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Craig. I hope you and yours are keeping well. Well that's a fantastic result! Very impressive weathering!! Very well done.

Kind regards,

Stix

All good at this end mate thanks, hope you are all well too, if a little over worked.

Thanks for the kind comments, I am quite happy with how she looks, especially for an older kit.

• Like 1