FM 1/48 Hampden - Duel Build with the General!

woody37

Glad you like them mate, more stuff to follow. I know what you mean about the thing rolling about, a royal pain when it came to adding the interior details........luckily a big blob of White Tack hammered to the bench top came to the rescue. Good luck with the PET sheets, I'm sure you'll sort it out in true Woody fashion.

Thought it was about time I posted a few images of what's happening with my Hampden, can't let Neil carry all the weight, (and there's a fair bit of it). Progress has been slow, due to other projects taking precedence, modelling and 'real life', including the removal and replacement of a new kitchen here at Melchett Towers, all at the rabid insistence of the Memsahib, (under threat of death and/or cessation of my 'Wensleydale with cranberries' ration, affirmative action was needed).

Not far off finishing the interior now, just a bit more work on the nose area including  window framing, bomb panel wiring, an ABS bomb sight, nav's tools and map for the nav/bomb aimer's table. There's also a few odds and ends like fitting the seat, radio boxes, control wheel, control-surface cables, pipes and glazing to the door, then it's onto the bomb bay. The basic structure is there now, but it needs all the electricals, racks and bomb door actuators to be fitted.

Thanks for looking, hope you approve.

Melchie.

1-AGD-0026.jpg

2-AGD-0029.jpg

3-AGD-0028.jpg

4-AGD-0030.jpg

5-AGD-0034.jpg

Scratch built seat and radio set, still to be fitted.

6-AGD-0035.jpg

Parachute and survival pack made from Magic Sculpt modelling putty, great stuff, easy to use.

1-AGD-9991.jpg

Everything together.

7-AGD-0037.jpg

• Like 32
  • Thanks 3

Thanks chaps appreciated, hopefully, I'll be able to finish the interior soon and zip the thing up. I've then got all the lovely riveting to look forward to...oh, the joy.

You two must have shared rooms to achieve such fantastic builds.

Thanks Cees, now, that would be telling...

Looking good there Colonel, liking the level of detail.

Strewth, I've been demoted! I'll have to have words with the mem about this...  

2 hours ago, general melchett said:

Thanks chaps appreciated, hopefully, I'll be able to finish the interior soon and zip the thing up. I've then got all the lovely riveting to look forward to...oh, the joy.

No worries about the riveting General, Just play the Woody Woodpecker song playing the back ground and you'll be done as quick as a flash. Myself, riveting a PB4y- Devo- Working in the Coal mine is more apt.:banghead:

• Haha 1

Actually, I thought I'd play this to ease things along...... the incomparable Lambrettavespascoota, perfect listening while giving Rosie a damn good thrashing...

Ah Devo, now your talking, great memories of buying 'Are We Not Men' when working in London in 1978...and subjecting my compatriots to it on continuous loop on my car 'stereo'. This was the point at which their suspicions were confirmed, there was indeed a problem with the nut holding the steering wheel... No coincidence that my favourite track was 'Uncontrollable Urge':hobbyhorse:  

Enjoy the PBY-4, I thought the Hampden was bad enough...but then I saw the FM Halifax winking at me. 

• Haha 1

Ahh there in lies the tale, General. Managed to acquire the Ginter Naval Fighters #93. It not only pointed out errors I had done but, to my dismay gave me more "ideas" to add detail to that will never be seen except in build photos here. But no matter, Damn the martinis, full speed ahead , forward into the fog and all that. Although I can picture you and your mates motoring down the road head banging all the way, windows down screaming the lyrics as loud as possible to all the birdies  you see. Good lord that's a absolutely scary thought permanently etch onto my one remaining braincell.

• Haha 2

Ah, the Ginter series, excellent material, I have a fair collection gracing the bookcase within spitting distance . Like you, I don't need any more encouragement to add detail that'll never be seen by man or beast.

Although I can picture you and your mates motoring down the road head banging all the way, windows down screaming the lyrics as loud as possible to all the birdies  you see

Well, yes, head banging as a driver isn't necessarily the best idea when careering down a darkened back road in winter, at 3am.  Also, quite frankly, the birdies didn't always appreciate us screaming Motorhead, UFO, Thin Lizzy or Deep Purple lyrics at them, full decibel, for some reason. Mind you, Hendrix and Pink Floyd could could also be heard at times of quiet reflection, the choice usually dependant on what speed we were doing and which particular libation had been consumed by the herd of terrified passengers, (usually there was a slight overcrowding problem as I was the only one with a car). In the case of Hendrix and Floyd, it was more down to which aromatic relaxants had been inhaled/exhaled but being a responsible member of polite society, I naturally wore a respirator at all times:coolio:.

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, general melchett said:

Well, yes, head banging as a driver isn't necessarily the best idea when careering down a darkened back road in winter, at 3am.  Also, quite frankly, the birdies didn't always appreciate us screaming Motorhead, UFO, Thin Lizzy or Deep Purple lyrics at them, full decibel, for some reason. Mind you, Hendrix and Pink Floyd could could also be heard at times of quiet reflection, the choice usually dependant on what speed we were doing and which particular libation had been consumed by the herd of terrified passengers, (usually there was a slight overcrowding problem as I was the only one with a car). In the case of Hendrix and Floyd, it was more down to which aromatic relaxants had been inhaled/exhaled but being a responsible member of polite society, I naturally wore a respirator at all times:coolio:.

Yes General whilest that is true, being full of youthful abandon , and various other imbibements, one has a tendency to ascribe to the motto "Live fast, die young, and if possible be a great looking corpse." it is a shame though how birdies never seemed to have  an ear for the finer intricacies of melodic accompaniment. Especially when it not only ones favorite,, but a true classic that MUST be sung at the loudest decibilage  possible. I found some of the best atmospherics for accompaniment between 1 and 3 AM.

• Haha 2

I found some of the best atmospherics for accompaniment between 1 and 3 AM.

So true, particularly if you can find an unattended and empty metal dustbin to belt out a decent 4/4, with a pair of makeshift sticks fashioned from unwanted rebars . At a pinch a traffic cone makes for an excellent megaphone/trumpet, lending your tonsils a certain Lemmy-like '50 a day' resonance...ask me how I know. 

And if you hold you nose while doing this you go further back and almost sound like Noel Coward singing Mad Dogs and Englishmen Of course if you twitch a little then you're Jo Cocker.

• Haha 1

it's going to be a sad day when you close it up, not to be able to see it anymore!

I don't know about sad, more a blessed relief, means I can come off the medication, forget about adding anything else and actually get on with building the bliddy thing. The only innards I'll concentrate on now will be the nav/bomb aimers position, cockpit and ventral cupola. How's MSFS?:tomato:

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, general melchett said:

I don't know about sad, more a blessed relief, means I can come off the medication, forget about adding anything else and actually get on with building the bliddy thing. The only innards I'll concentrate on now will be the nav/bomb aimers position, cockpit and ventral cupola. How's MSFS?:tomato:

It's very good mate, the graphics are incredible and quite smooth as well...managed to sort the issue, Windows was broke somewhere so did a repair and its back where it was :)

• Like 1

On 10/20/2020 at 2:42 PM, general melchett said:

Thought it was about time I posted a few images of what's happening with my Hampden, can't let Neil carry all the weight, (and there's a fair bit of it). Progress has been slow, due to other projects taking precedence, modelling and 'real life', including the removal and replacement of a new kitchen here at Melchett Towers, all at the rabid insistence of the Memsahib, (under threat of death and/or cessation of my 'Wensleydale with cranberries' ration, affirmative action was needed).

Not far off finishing the interior now, just a bit more work on the nose area including  window framing, bomb panel wiring, an ABS bomb sight, nav's tools and map for the nav/bomb aimer's table. There's also a few odds and ends like fitting the seat, radio boxes, control wheel, control-surface cables, pipes and glazing to the door, then it's onto the bomb bay. The basic structure is there now, but it needs all the electricals, racks and bomb door actuators to be fitted.

Thanks for looking, hope you approve.

Melchie.

1-AGD-0026.jpg

2-AGD-0029.jpg

3-AGD-0028.jpg

4-AGD-0030.jpg

5-AGD-0034.jpg

Scratch built seat and radio set, still to be fitted.

6-AGD-0035.jpg

Parachute and survival pack made from Magic Sculpt modelling putty, great stuff, easy to use.

1-AGD-9991.jpg

Everything together.

7-AGD-0037.jpg

What a wonderful example of model building to follow. Thanks for sharing. 

Hope that when the time comes to do the FM Halifax in the stash I can achieve at least a fraction of what you have done so far here.

Have a good one and keep it up.

On 10/21/2020 at 1:08 PM, general melchett said:

Oooops, as long as you didn't get a reduction of pay scale!

• Haha 1

Oooops, as long as you didn't get a reduction of pay scale!

Pay....what's that then? Mem tells me I'm lucky to be here....I have to agree.....no, I mean, I HAVE to agree :shutup: :whip:

It's very good mate, the graphics are incredible and quite smooth as well...managed to sort the issue, Windows was broke somewhere so did a repair and its back where it was 

Great to hear you got it sorted, a broken window can be a mess to sort out. I know, I've done it enough times. Luckily I have a good mate, Jay, who happens to run his own PC repair business here in sunny Lincoln, don't know where I'd be without him, saved me a fortune over the years. Looking forward to getting hold of it myself once the system is suitably upgraded and funds allow.

What a wonderful example of model building to follow. Thanks for sharing. Hope that when the time comes to do the FM Halifax in the stash I can achieve at least a fraction of what you have done so far here.

Thanks JF, pleasure's all mine (and Neils, well 'pleasure' may not be quite the right word with this one) just hope it proves useful. I'm sure you'll do a cracking job on the Halifax, look forward to seeing progress. I think that after the 1/48th Vulcan I'll probably tackle the Halifax, but that's a way off yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...