FM 1/48 Hampden - Duel Build with the General!

woody37

17 hours ago, woody37 said:

This one is challenging everything in the resilience bank mate! Hopefully, we're taking one or two for the team! come on Airfix!

Cheers mate

The thing is mate,..... you both make it look so easy and obvious. Some real craftmanship on display here,.... without a shadow of doubt!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/21/2020 at 9:19 PM, general melchett said:

In other news...The kit cowls are more than a bit basic, being moulded in two halves, (egg-shaped), with overly pronounced gill rings, blunt nose rings with too big an 'ole at the front...in a word, awful, so I asked Aircraft In Miniature (AIM) for help and a day later the stl.files arrived. As with their Argus conversion, a choice of open and closed gills are included.  I immediately printed a few copies off and the results speak for themselves. All AIM products are only available from Hannants and these will be available shortly.

*perks ears*

Only in 1/48, or also in 1/72? Would be very handy for the Valom kits...

• Like 1

There's some seriously impressive work going on here. The interior shots are really inspiring.

I hope I'm not butting in here, but looking at the standard of the scratch building going on, I thought a glimpse back to the birth of the hobby might entertain. It certainly won't compete!

One of my ongoing restoration projects is a FROG Penguin Hampden in 1.72 scale. These things curve and distort all over the place due to the early plastic used. I usually need to straighten things out in every plane, so to speak. This involves taking the things apart and straightening as best I can.

The bit that's relevant to this thread is what I found inside my model once I opened it up. Pretty much invisible from the outside was a full, state of the art circa 1940, bit of interior detailing. Made from a postcard, it's quite involved.

Here's the opened up original model, from 1940 or so. Ignore the Blenheim, it's just attention seeking.

IMG-1194.jpg

Here's the interior as found. It got a bit torn at the glued points and it looks terrible here. It had distorted quite badly over the years to the point I wondered what on earth it was when I opened the fuselage halves.

IMG-1197.jpg

IMG-1198.jpg

Having a bit of a basic straighten up and a bit of satin black added shows what the original builder was attempting. The builder stopped at this point which is odd. Maybe the builder tried the fuselage halves together and though he had done enough. Who knows?

IMG-1203.jpg

It couldn't be further from the standard of the work going on in this thread, but it shows that modellers were pushing the boundaries right from the beginnings, using whatever was to hand.

Anyway, enough of the dim and distant past, I'm waiting on the next instalment of the Hampden twins saga!

Tony.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TonyW said:

There's some seriously impressive work going on here. The interior shots are really inspiring.

I hope I'm not butting in here, but looking at the standard of the scratch building going on, I thought a glimpse back to the birth of the hobby might entertain. It certainly won't compete!

One of my ongoing restoration projects is a FROG Penguin Hampden in 1.72 scale. These things curve and distort all over the place due to the early plastic used. I usually need to straighten things out in every plane, so to speak. This involves taking the things apart and straightening as best I can.

The bit that's relevant to this thread is what I found inside my model once I opened it up. Pretty much invisible from the outside was a full, state of the art circa 1940, bit of interior detailing. Made from a postcard, it's quite involved.

Here's the opened up original model, from 1940 or so. Ignore the Blenheim, it's just attention seeking.

IMG-1194.jpg

Here's the interior as found. It got a bit torn at the glued points and it looks terrible here. It had distorted quite badly over the years to the point I wondered what on earth it was when I opened the fuselage halves.

IMG-1197.jpg

IMG-1198.jpg

Having a bit of a basic straighten up and a bit of satin black added shows what the original builder was attempting. The builder stopped at this point which is odd. Maybe the builder tried the fuselage halves together and though he had done enough. Who knows?

IMG-1203.jpg

It couldn't be further from the standard of the work going on in this thread, but it shows that modellers were pushing the boundaries right from the beginnings, using whatever was to hand.

Anyway, enough of the dim and distant past, I'm waiting on the next instalment of the Hampden twins saga!

Tony.

That is not only extremely impressive but also very interesting Tony, thanks for sharing it with us.

Martian 👽

5 hours ago, tonyot said:

The thing is mate,..... you both make it look so easy and obvious. Some real craftmanship on display here,.... without a shadow of doubt!

Taking photo's on clean card hides the chaos going on behind the scenes mate! I put a nice slit in to my finger tonight with the razor saw whilst thinking that I should be careful not to cut my finger 🤣

And then there's the wheezing and extreme hayfever from superglue allergy going on. I might take up a safer hobby such as skydiving!

3 hours ago, alt-92 said:

*perks ears*

Only in 1/48, or also in 1/72? Would be very handy for the Valom kits...

Now there's a damn fine idea. I am hoping they decide to do a whole 1/48 Hampden instead of just the engines! If you don't ask, you don't get!

2 hours ago, TonyW said:

IMG-1194.jpg

IMG-1197.jpg

IMG-1198.jpg

IMG-1203.jpg

Tony.

As Martian said, this is really interesting and a great piece of history in itself, really appreciate you sharing it mate :) Please keep us updated with your refurb. It would be a shame not to put that interior back in due to the history, is that your intention?

I've battled on this week on the wings. They are pretty much done now. Getting the ring fitted to the nacelles to which the cownlings will attach wasn't easy due to the different in diameters and the concentricity of the nacelles so quite a bit of filler was used as well as sanding the diameter of the ring down to roughly match the nacelles. Next step is the flaps and ailerons. There's a bit of scribing necessary to smooth out some of the panel lines and the riveting to go on yet too.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers

Neil

• Like 12

22 minutes ago, woody37 said:

As Martian said, this is really interesting and a great piece of history in itself, really appreciate you sharing it mate :) Please keep us updated with your refurb. It would be a shame not to put that interior back in due to the history, is that your intention?

Cheers

Neil

Thanks for the interest. I'll make a dedicated post of the job once it's done, piggybacking another thread would be rude. It's a backburner project so progress may well be slow.

The intention is to straighten up the interior and add a pair of generic Penguin seats. That would stay true to the original build style and may even have been the original builders intention.

Tony.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TonyW said:

Thanks for the interest. I'll make a dedicated post of the job once it's done, piggybacking another thread would be rude. It's a backburner project so progress may well be slow.

The intention is to straighten up the interior and add a pair of generic Penguin seats. That would stay true to the original build style and may even have been the original builders intention.

Tony.

Look forwards to it Tony, but don't feel you can't share here either, this is a Hampden fest!

• Like 2

Must agree with Martian here, thanks for posting Tony, great to see these early ventures into scratch building. I must admit even as a nipper, putting these things together I used to add extra bit’s and pieces from whatever happened to be lying around to try and make them just a bit more interesting, though not particularly accurate but it got me interested in the whole scratch building malarkey.

17 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Only in 1/48, or also in 1/72? Would be very handy for the Valom kits..

Never say never...

19 hours ago, tonyot said:

you both make it look so easy and obvious. Some real craftmanship on display here,.... without a shadow of doubt!

Thanks Tony, appreciate that, smoke and mirrors mostly...as mentioned earlier, my build’s a fair bit further along now, the interior detailing finished and painted, wings and tailplane rebuilt, etc, so .I’ll post updates as Neil progresses.

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bit more work done on the wings tonight. I'd been dreading sorting the flaps and ailerons out but they've gone unexpectedly smoothly and fit quite well. Obviously some tidying up to do and the aileron hinge slots need to be cut out and the protruding hinges added to the wings, but reckon they should be done over the weekend.

Having a bit of a Deep Purple fest tonight whilst at the bench. I got to see the Gillan line up in 93 and was blown away. Mr Jon Lord RIP

Anyway back to the plastic, here's one wing with the feathers temporarily fitted

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 13

On 9/25/2020 at 12:41 AM, dogsbody said:

I've always loved Deep Purple, since the late 60's. 

Oh, the Hampden looks good, too.

Chris

On 9/25/2020 at 3:35 PM, bbudde said:

Yep, Perfect strangers was a great album for me as a teenager. Hungry daze was my favourite track then on the album. Perfect strangers was also great.

Btw nice work on a nice looking Hampden.

Cheers

Good to see I'm not alone on the Deep Purple front :)

The wings are nearly finished now. Just the last aileron to fit once I've levelled off the hinges and thinned the upper wall down above the flap

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers

Neil

• Like 8

1 hour ago, woody37 said:

Good to see I'm not alone on the Deep Purple front :)

Who could resist after hearing John Lord's keybords (Hammondorgel) on "Child in time"  while looking at that cover for the first time. So long ago, but always a pleasure to do that again till now. Must be a masterpiece then. Or am I too old with 49?

Cheers

Btw: My favourite live version of this and roundbout three years before me. Wasn't a thought then, I guess :whistle::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPQr8eWvJKQ

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, bbudde said:

Who could resist after hearing John Lord's keybords (Hammondorgel) on "Child in time"  while looking at that cover for the first time. So long ago, but always a pleasure to do that again till now. Must be a masterpiece then. Or am I too old with 49?

Cheers

Btw: My favourite live version of this and roundbout three years before me. Wasn't a thought then, I guess :whistle::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPQr8eWvJKQ

I'm with you on that recording. I'm 49 too. Used to quietly listen to the Friday night rock show with Tommy Vance as a kid so my parents couldn't hear! Deep Purple, UFO and others bring back fond memories of the rockers vs mod era!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Ian Paice

Yep, a really great drummer and an icon (for many others).  Love him on Gary Moore's live album" We want Moore" on "Empty Rooms". Very soft and guiding his guitar perfectly (Rip and one of my favourite guitarists)

Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1

Bit more progress since.

The wings are finished except for a run over with the riveting tool and of course the engines that Andy is sending over.

Work has recommended on the fuselage interior. It's a low job but one side progressing well. I'll get the basic detail in then it's over to making the moulds for the clear parts which I'm not looking forwards to.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 11

Wonderful modelling Neil, that sows ear is nicely being massaged into something more Hampdenish.

When you get to the windscreen fitting stage, I will be watching this like a hawk😉

To prevent you from making the mistake everyone else has made.🙂

• Like 1

Brilliant work by all. I can see copious notes being taken here in this masterclass of model correctionery and stuffed inside the box of the one I have in the stash. If I am ever foolish enough to think about starting it the notes will encourage me/ put me off (delete as mood takes one) to do so
Thanks for sharing the fruits of your labours chaps

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Cees Broere said:

Wonderful modelling Neil, that sows ear is nicely being massaged into something more Hampdenish.

When you get to the windscreen fitting stage, I will be watching this like a hawk😉

To prevent you from making the mistake everyone else has made.🙂

I've added the side extensions on so that the windscreen overhangs where it meets the sliding canopy using photo's as references so that's duly taken care of :)

What I'd do for a new kit currently! I'm not really in the mood for it but being motivated by the desire to have one in the collection. I don't normally have more than one build on the go but tempted to start a twin stage Mossie build that I've been planning for a while.

5 hours ago, JohnT said:

Brilliant work by all. I can see copious notes being taken here in this masterclass of model correctionery and stuffed inside the box of the one I have in the stash. If I am ever foolish enough to think about starting it the notes will encourage me/ put me off (delete as mood takes one) to do so
Thanks for sharing the fruits of your labours chaps

Cheers John. I'm hoping that the double effort here will lead to a new kit being announced just as we get to the decaling stage! I managed it on a 1/72 Blenheim build some years back so hoping to have the same impact again 🤣

Just need to get @general melchett to stop faffing now and get some more pictures posted...partly so I can copy what he has done!

Cheers

Neil

• Like 3
  • Haha 1