SEPECAT Jaguar GR.1 - Kitty Hawk 1/48

28 minutes ago, Boltcropper said:

Wow thanks! yes that would be brilliant please....I'll have no excuse for mis-measuring the bits then!

Here you go, hopefully they display ok on here.

36401368765_5994c12fc7_h.jpg

36233533272_3b0053bcbf_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Boltcropper said:

Hi 12jaguar, just outside Hunts!

Ah cool, St Neots for me. Used to work at Wyton, first in the RAF then latterly in the MOD in The Jaguar Engineering Authority :)

Our Stirling workshop is at Alconbury 

John

1 hour ago, Boltcropper said:

Many thanks RMP 2, these drawings are great!  they will be really useful to use in conjunction with reference photos. 

No worries. Will be great to see what you come up with.

Has a squadron, serial number, scheme and underslung gubbins been decided? Apols if I've missed that

On 10/21/2020 at 10:51 PM, RMP2 said:

No worries. Will be great to see what you come up with.

Has a squadron, serial number, scheme and underslung gubbins been decided? Apols if I've missed that

Cheers I'll certainly give it my best shot!  As for the scheme, yes its to be finished  as a 54 Sqn aircraft from the early 1980's (Kev served on 54 Sqn as an Engine technician). The registration  he's decided on escapes me  right now but the tail fin/front undercarriage door letter code is to be GK.

As for the gubbins, the plan is it will be wearing  fuel tanks on the inner pylons (donated from the Airfix kit by a friend) and one practice bomb dispenser on the underside center pylon.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bar side said:

Close to the Airfix standard decals.  They give you GC

4ubO8yH.jpg

Hi Bar Side,

Now that is a fabulous diorama, lovely work and very effective!, and I'm assuming a scratch-built HAS too?, full marks for that!

Difficult to gauge the scale but but I'm thinking 1/72? This is the sort of effect I'm hoping to capture in the 1/48 engine change project.  Thanks again for sharing this.

• Like 1

Thanks @Boltcropper, yes scratch built card HAS but it is 1/48. My builds are  nowhere near the detail you are getting, but the overall setup draws your eye from the detail to the scene.  Bits like the ladder which is actually from an ESCI F-5 so not really correct and the actually supposed to be 1/43 scale Airfix Landy.  I seem to spend ages making bits to scatter in the background.  But the HAS doubles for RAF or USAF depending on whether the racking is there or there is a Houchin or US ground equipment.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Stunning. Absolutely stunning.

Grey/green kitties are the best kind 👍🏻

Trevor

Many thanks Trevor! and this kittie will indeed be in green/grey wrap around and  54 Squadron markings! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The black background is something I've not seen so far in modelling circles, makes it contrast really well with kit parts ... I wonder how that's done?

Really awesome modelling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, One 48 said:

The black background is something I've not seen so far in modelling circles, makes it contrast really well with kit parts ... I wonder how that's done?

Really awesome modelling.

Thanks One 48, glad you like them.  I have a small 'studio' in the garage, actually just a workbench with an overhead strobe with another strobe on the back wall on an adjustable arm.  Simply, set the camera to take a shot where without light it would come out black, then feed in the strobe light to get the subject illuminated.

Del made a tube with spring loaded clip in the end, all painted black, to support the parts in 'mid air'.  These were mostly lost in the blackness, or if they picked up some light or reflection, it was taken out in Photoshop.

I knew the effect would likely be good having used it for other stuff.  I then had to get up to 40 shots of each item, all from the same position but with gradually changing points of focus, which could then be stacked to get the whole item in focus.

I'm pleased with the results, they show off Del's handywork a treat.  However, once the painting has started I'll probably have to revert to white backgrounds.

Kev.

Edited by Kev Gregory
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, One 48 said:

Amazing

Top notch building and brilliant presentation pics too.

Love the Jags, live near RAF Lossiemouth, miss seeing them fly.

Thank you One 48, much appreciated! Though I love my modelling I am definitely no photographer....so full credit goes to Kev's photo wizardry skills as this project develops! 

• Like 1