SEPECAT Jaguar GR.1 - Kitty Hawk 1/48

We are fast approaching the paint stage so Del kindly dry assembled the Adour engines for me to photograph.

Here are three (more to follow in the coming days) focus-stacked sets of the port engine nestled inside the Jaguar airframe.

Rolls-Royce TURBOMECA Adour Mk 102

I had hoped to get more done, but time seems to have slipped through my fingers today, so hopefully these initially show off Del's incredible craftsmanship to adequate detail 🙂

Kev.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Amazing work there. Congratulations for the results.

How easy (or not) were the Aires set to use? They are really beautiful detailed pieces, but my experience has been a PITA to make them fit. I am sure that some of it is due to my “skills”...:unsure:... but have read in other posts and sites about the same. Will be very interested to hear your opinion...

Enjoy and keep it up...:)

• Like 3

Three focus-stacked images of the Rolls-Royce TURBOMECA Adour Mark 102 turbofan, fitted in a mobile layby stand.

These engines are largely scratch built, just the 'tubes' of the engine can with the kit and are still WIP, despite the incredible detail that Del has achieved to date.

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Jfgred1 said:

Amazing work there. Congratulations for the results.

How easy (or not) were the Aires set to use? They are really beautiful detailed pieces, but my experience has been a PITA to make them fit. I am sure that some of it is due to my “skills”...:unsure:... but have read in other posts and sites about the same. Will be very interested to hear your opinion...

Enjoy and keep it up...:)

Many thanks Jfgred1, much appreciated.

I agree the Aires sets add really excellent detail and will certainly make a huge difference when painted and weathered.  However,  I can also associate and sympathise with your PITA situation...combined with the already well documented  'foibles' of the Kittyhawk kit.

In my case, I had to carefully trim all the Aires resin inserts I fitted internally,  I also needed to remove a good amount of plastic from the inside of the kit parts to get everything to fit, it was time consuming, frustrating at times and certainly not the easiest task I've tackled!, but the end results were well worth it.

One thing I'm really glad I did was assemble the 2 x resin wheel bays and 2 x air brake bays as one sub assembly (see earlier photos by Kev).  Carefully bracing them with plastic card inserts and shims not only stabilised everything  but also provided much needed bracing/support  for the quite flimsy plastic (and on the Kit I'm building), distorted under fuselage area between the undercarriage bays. This made things so much easier when I started assembling/aligning the undercarriage legs.

Still 'learning as I go' with this kit  so am keen and interested to hear from anyone else about how they overcame any problems. 

Regards,

Del.

• Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, nasosrr said:

I am left totally speechless!!!

What a brilliant model and what an incredible presentation!!!

Del's skills are amazing!!! The engines are works of art!!!

I'm following this one with great interest and anticipation!

Many thanks nasosrr, 

Its great to see peoples interest in this project and exchange mutual ideas, modelling experience! 

On 10/11/2020 at 6:55 AM, Kev Gregory said:

Port Undercarriage:

Port Undercarriage

Port Undercarriage

G'day Del,

This is seriously good work, I can't wait to see what it looks like under a layer of paint. I am think of getting one of these kits  and I have seen the box contents up close and it looks really nice (in the box!)

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.

I like the look of the resin wheel bays but don't want to have the speed brakes opened. The kit wheel bays and air brake wells are separate assemblies as are the resin counterparts. The front of the air brake wells incorporate the main undercarriage mounts. The KH air brake wells are wrong as they are mirrored unlike the real jet.

Q1. Is it possible to use the kit supplied (plastic) air brake wells with the resin main gear bays as I don't want to have the air brakes opened

The KH underwing pylons and fuel tank is wrong for an RAF Jag. the ordnance is also more suite dto the ADA but that is another story. The GR.1/3 boxing only has one tank (which is the wrong shape) and the pylons are incorrect as they are the ADA style.

Q2. Where did the jugs come from and did you modify the underwing pylons or steal them from the old Airfix/Revell kit?

Looking forward to seeing more of your work,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Kev Gregory said:

The empty Layby stand, all scratch built:

Layby Stand

Layby Stand

Layby Stand

Don't suppose Del fancies knocking up another of these? 😁

ps - RAF Jag access ladders are in high demand, maybe worth moulding and casting a few...? 😊

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Pappy said:

G'day Del,

This is seriously good work, I can't wait to see what it looks like under a layer of paint. I am think of getting one of these kits  and I have seen the box contents up close and it looks really nice (in the box!)

I like the look of the resin wheel bays but don't want to have the speed brakes opened. The kit wheel bays and air brake wells are separate assemblies as are the resin counterparts. The front of the air brake wells incorporate the main undercarriage mounts. The KH air brake wells are wrong as they are mirrored unlike the real jet.

Q1. Is it possible to use the kit supplied (plastic) air brake wells with the resin main gear bays as I don't want to have the air brakes opened

The KH underwing pylons and fuel tank is wrong for an RAF Jag. the ordnance is also more suite dto the ADA but that is another story. The GR.1/3 boxing only has one tank (which is the wrong shape) and the pylons are incorrect as they are the ADA style.

Q2. Where did the jugs come from and did you modify the underwing pylons or steal them from the old Airfix/Revell kit?

Pappy

Hi Pappy,

Thank you for your kind comments and  very pleased you are enjoying the build so far.  As you rightly say, the kit looks good in the box and to be fair there is a lot on there, but sadly as you, I and many others have discovered despite being boxed as a GR.1/3 there is little in there that's RAF apart from the decals! 

The kits fit issues are now widely documented and its thanks to brilliant forums like this that we modelers can pool our experience and resources to help one another sort them out!  I know opinions vary about every aspect of the kit but I personally quite like the panel and rivet detail on the kit.

Now then, to answer your questions: 

As you mention, the KH kit air brake bays are wrong, being identical in shape for both port and starboard, which is why Kev went for the Aries resin replacements.  Not an issue for you  if planning to model them closed.  

Q1.  Having just had another look at both the resin and the kit parts,  the all important undercarriage mounting points look the same to me so I don't think you should  have any issues using the kit air brake bays in conjunction with resin main undercarriage bays.

With regard to the KH under wing pylons, stores, fuel tank etc, I was fortunate enough to have a friend who kindly donated  a spare set of parts from the Airfix kit. On comparing the Airfix and KH pylons, the Airfix items looked a little thin to me  so I opted to reshape, thin down  and re-detail the chunkier KH under wing pylons, to my eye these now look more like the RAF style  pylons .  By contrast, I found the KH underbelly pylon to be not too bad so I simply added a few small details to this. The plan is to mount a practice bomb dispenser (by Wingman models) to this pylon.

Q2.  For the all important jugs I used the Airfix under wing tanks adding some rivet detail and the prominent fin mounting brackets from plastic card.  I seem to  remember there may now be an aftermarket  resin set available for the RAF style under wing tanks...though the manufacturers name escapes me! 

I hope this has helped, happy to answer any more questions you may have!

Thanks again,

Del.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, RMP2 said:

Don't suppose Del fancies knocking up another of these? 😁

ps - RAF Jag access ladders are in high demand, maybe worth moulding and casting a few...? 😊

Hello again RMP2, glad you like the laystands, they were a bit of a B&&%er  to scratch-build but essential for this project! 

As you said,  like the Jag entry ladder, something that would be helpful for us to have available.  At some point I'll have to look towards knocking up a couple of line drawings with dimensions of the ones I've made in 1/48.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Boltcropper said:

As you said,  like the Jag entry ladder, something that would be helpful for us to have available.  At some point I'll have to look towards knocking up a couple of line drawings with dimensions of the ones I've made in 1/48.

I have measurements of a 1:1 set somewhere. Will dig them out if theyll be of use?

• Like 2

On 9/15/2020 at 5:56 PM, Kev Gregory said:

LOL, well, it's a one-off build to represent my time on 54 Sqn many moons ago, so it was worth it.  Mind you, I'm not sure the wife would necessarily agree! LOL

You told her............................🤔:suicide:

6 hours ago, Boltcropper said:

Hi Pappy,

Thank you for your kind comments and  very pleased you are enjoying the build so far.  As you rightly say, the kit looks good in the box and to be fair there is a lot on there, but sadly as you, I and many others have discovered despite being boxed as a GR.1/3 there is little in there that's RAF apart from the decals! 

The kits fit issues are now widely documented and its thanks to brilliant forums like this that we modelers can pool our experience and resources to help one another sort them out!  I know opinions vary about every aspect of the kit but I personally quite like the panel and rivet detail on the kit.

Now then, to answer your questions: 

As you mention, the KH kit air brake bays are wrong, being identical in shape for both port and starboard, which is why Kev went for the Aries resin replacements.  Not an issue for you  if planning to model them closed.  

Q1.  Having just had another look at both the resin and the kit parts,  the all important undercarriage mounting points look the same to me so I don't think you should  have any issues using the kit air brake bays in conjunction with resin main undercarriage bays.

With regard to the KH under wing pylons, stores, fuel tank etc, I was fortunate enough to have a friend who kindly donated  a spare set of parts from the Airfix kit. On comparing the Airfix and KH pylons, the Airfix items looked a little thin to me  so I opted to reshape, thin down  and re-detail the chunkier KH under wing pylons, to my eye these now look more like the RAF style  pylons .  By contrast, I found the KH underbelly pylon to be not too bad so I simply added a few small details to this. The plan is to mount a practice bomb dispenser (by Wingman models) to this pylon.

Q2.  For the all important jugs I used the Airfix under wing tanks adding some rivet detail and the prominent fin mounting brackets from plastic card.  I seem to  remember there may now be an aftermarket  resin set available for the RAF style under wing tanks...though the manufacturers name escapes me! 

I hope this has helped, happy to answer any more questions you may have!

Thanks again,

Del.

G'day Del,

6 hours ago, Boltcropper said:

By contrast, I found the KH underbelly pylon to be not too bad so I simply added a few small details to this. The plan is to mount a practice bomb dispenser (by Wingman models) to this pylon.

I've looked on the Wingman models site and they only seem to make a CBLS 200 practice bomb carrier. These were only used on the Tornado and are incorrect for Jag use. You need a CBLS 100, Flightpath do one, https://www.djparkins.com/product.php?productid=17829. There would be a modification to this for use on a Jaguar centreline forward station. Due to the step in the pylon, the CBLS had a shorter tail, so it would fit.

This Google search has pictures of the CBLS 100, 200 and the shorter tail for Jag use.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1/48+CBLS+100&rlz=1C1SQJL_enCA889CA889&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiSvp-I1sTsAhUFqZ4KHSy-CuMQ_AUoAnoECAUQBA&biw=1920&bih=937

Rob.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Pappy said:

G'day Del,

Pappy

G'day Del, that is a great response.

Apart from saving some cash  (which I can put towards the replacement stores, thanks Q!), I think that the KH air brake wells fit okay and will bolster the fuselage sides, and even if they are wrong this will not be an issue with the air brakes shut.

Of course that may introduce another fit issue as my impression from reading other reviews is that this kit fits great as long as you leave all the open panels/doors in the open position!

cheers,

Pappy

12 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

I've looked on the Wingman models site and they only seem to make a CBLS 200 practice bomb carrier. These were only used on the Tornado and are incorrect for Jag use. You need a CBLS 100, Flightpath do one, https://www.djparkins.com/product.php?productid=17829. There would be a modification to this for use on a Jaguar centreline forward station. Due to the step in the pylon, the CBLS had a shorter tail, so it would fit.

This Google search has pictures of the CBLS 100, 200 and the shorter tail for Jag use.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1/48+CBLS+100&rlz=1C1SQJL_enCA889CA889&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiSvp-I1sTsAhUFqZ4KHSy-CuMQ_AUoAnoECAUQBA&biw=1920&bih=937

Rob.

Thanks Rob, I bought the Wingman set because they specifically stated for Tornado and Jaguar, and the instruction set states the side rails not to be installed for a Jaguar fit.  I'll look to get the CBLS 1oo from somewhere, Parkins are presently out of stock. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

Rob.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the the helpful advice here...good to know these things early on! 👍

1 hour ago, Phone Phixer said:

Hannants currently have 1 remaining in stock.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/FHP48122?result-token=0bMV3

Thanks Rob, ordered 🙂

Mind you, that's the easy bit, now for Del to work his magic.  That said, I've spoken to a contact at Cosford and they still have CBLS-100 that they used for training, so I'm looking to get up there at some point to grab a load of reference pics.

Edited by Kev Gregory
  • Like 1