SEPECAT Jaguar GR.1 - Kitty Hawk 1/48

8 hours ago, Fritag said:

Agreed; so much so that I feel I’ll even be able to come to terms with it being a 54 sqn jet :D

LOL, It was my first introduction to squadron life, and the only Jag Sqn I worked on, so it had to be the premier one! 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Kev Gregory said:

Don't think so, there's shots of an F-15 and tug recently gone up, perhaps that?

Ah yes, saw that.  The Jag definitely appeared somewhere though.  Always good to see her

• Thanks 1

Some shots today of the nitrogen trolley, all macro focus stacked images.  Despite the recent cooling in temp, the studio lights were still overcooking after numerous shots, causing a few thermal trip-outs.  I'll try to get some more done tomorrow.

Nitrogen Trolley

Nitrogen Trolley

Nitrogen Trolley

Nitrogen Trolley

Nitrogen Trolley

• Like 12

Is that the flightpath etch kit.  Exceptionally well done what ever it is.  Great detail.  I scratch built one but it’s very rough compared to this

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bar side said:

Is that the flightpath etch kit.  Exceptionally well done what ever it is.  Great detail.  I scratch built one but it’s very rough compared to this

Many thanks Bar Side, yes it is indeed the Flightpath aftermarket assessory kit. It took a fair bit of sanding/polishing of the white metal parts to prepare them for painting....and folding all that PE, the sheer fiddlyness drove me bananas!🤪 LOL  but it was worth it.  To make the brass pipes joining the tanks to the unit I used lead wire, the two dials on the silver control knobs came from the 1/48 Airscale instrument dial decals sheet (Product: AS48 AJET). 

Edited by Boltcropper
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, bar side said:

yes, not a fan of fiddly PE.  Must be a candidate for a 3D print

I guess that now things are migrating that way it won't be too long before we start seeing them!  I used some 3D printed aftermarket parts for a 1/600 ship I built a couple of years back and they were oustanding quality.👍

I got 3D printed ladders for my Buccaneer recently & the detail and thin parts were amazing.  So much easier and better than a fold up brass ladder

EuiW3Hs.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bar side said:

I got 3D printed ladders for my Buccaneer recently & the detail and thin parts were amazing.  So much easier and better than a fold up brass ladder

EuiW3Hs.jpg

Very tidy work on the Bucc there! 👍. Yes those ladders look very nice indeed, the round profile is far better looking than flat PE. 

• Like 1

A few more pics, this time of the scratch-built engine change kit.  It contains 3 hand-operated winches, each assembled with an upright tubular assembly that attaches to the aircraft fuselage, one of which will be left in position in the diorama.

Engine Change Kit

Engine Change Kit

Engine Change Kit

• Like 4

Wow, that Nitrogen trolley is a work of art, down to the slightly skew lettering on the one bottle. Beautiful. Long time since I dragged one of those up to the flight deck!

Colin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Like the crate & engine change kit - just a nice difference to see them modelled.  I have thought of pallets, wheelie bins, sack barrows and stuff like that, it’s just having an idea where to put it to look right.  Looks like you have the experience to know that too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Wow, that Nitrogen trolley is a work of art, down to the slightly skew lettering on the one bottle. Beautiful. Long time since I dragged one of those up to the flight deck!

Colin

Much appreciated Colin, from what I've seen in all the reference photos I used those cylinders did get a fair bit of wear an tear! LOL 

A modelling friend of mine kindly produced the Nitrogen labels as decals for me, thing is on enlarging the images they became slightly 'fuzzy', not normally what we want when printing decals of course but in this case I thought they gave a nice impression of the stencilled text used on the bottles.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bar side said:

Like the crate & engine change kit - just a nice difference to see them modelled.  I have thought of pallets, wheelie bins, sack barrows and stuff like that, it’s just having an idea where to put it to look right.  Looks like you have the experience to know that too

Thanks very much, yes the mesh bin & tow bar are from Flightpath aftermarket sets again, the engine change kit, wooden storage crate and all its components are scratch-built. As for the positioning and variety of equipment etc, its a combination of a great depth of advice from Kev and many of his colleagues from the Jaguar world. For my part I studied lots of reference books and loads of reference photos I saw online. Once the diorama is complete you will see lots more smaller tool boxes and pieces of equipment emerging that are appropriate to the engine change scenario.

Edited by Boltcropper
  • Like 2

Very lovely work going on in here.

My one minor nitpick is that the towing pintle. eye and levers are pristine. These would typically be heavily worn due to the constant metal to metal contact, otherwise the patina looks just about perfect,

cheers,

Papppy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Pappy said:

Very lovely work going on in here.

My one minor nitpick is that the towing pintle. eye and levers are pristine. These would typically be heavily worn due to the constant metal to metal contact, otherwise the patina looks just about perfect,

cheers,

Papppy

Many thanks Pappy, not heard the term pintle so am not sure which piece of GSE you mean?

This is just the initial stage of weathering of some of the parts,  the intention is that all towing associate eyes/brackets etc will be receiving some final attention prior to setting up the diorama. 

13 hours ago, Boltcropper said:

Many thanks Pappy, not heard the term pintle so am not sure which piece of GSE you mean?

This is just the initial stage of weathering of some of the parts,  the intention is that all towing associate eyes/brackets etc will be receiving some final attention prior to setting up the diorama. 

I am very happy to hear that. A pintle is a type of pivot bolt connecting two parts that allows them to turn. the towing design consists of an 'eye'  that fits inside a tow point secured by a bolt dropped in vertically, in other words the bit where the red painted ring fits into the red towing point on the tow motor,

cheers,

Pappy

• Thanks 1