SEPECAT Jaguar GR.1 - Kitty Hawk 1/48

20 hours ago, Tiger331 said:

WOW !......Just picked up on this thread. My first tour in the RAF was at St Athan and one of my responsibilities was logistics support to EROS (Engine Repair & Overhaul Squadron) which had been set up to provide Third-Line servicing for the Adour (both Jaguar and Hawk) and, at the time, was also busy preparing a line to support the 'brand new' RB199 for the Tornado fleet. I spent a lot of time on the hangar floor and subsequently became even more familiar with the Adour engine, after tours at both RAF Coltishall and Valley. I was, therefore, very impressed with the work that has gone into those two engines for this model and really look forward to seeing the finished article. Judging by the workmanship and attention to detail that has gone into everything thus far, it is going to be a very impressive diorama.

Well Done, Sir !   

Many thanks Tiger331,  that's much appreciated.  Yes the Adour engines are without doubt the focus of this diorama so a fair bit of works was always anticipated.   I have to say, unlike your good self and my colleague Kev, I don't have a technical/engineering  background so the hours of research coupled with the priceless advise I've had from those knowledgeable souls like yourself, has made the project a fascinating learning experience. I hope everyone following  the thread continues to enjoy the project as it progresses, the amazing standard of the photos Kev produces to document everything make my job as the builder far easier!

Waouw !

Fascinating work with a lot of details and a great precision. 👍

Some pics of the Jaguar of Cpt Hummel took (partially destroy in january 1991) in a spotter day in 2013 French Air Base 279 (personnal photos)

I hope it will not disturb this subject :

BA279_2013_Jaguar-Sepecat-01.jpg

BA279_2013_Jaguar-Sepecat-02.jpg

• Like 1

This is incredible. Glad to see you’ve corrected the pylons to the British pattern. 

When you get to the wings how will you tackle the spurious concave curve on the inner wing leading edge? My idea (when I get that far!) would be to cut out the leading edge from the (missing) wing fence to the root by a few mm and butt join a suitable thickness of plastic card and then blend in and rescribe.

Trevor

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, RMP2 said:

Any updates? 

Hi RMP2,

Thanks for the update message, which was a considerable coincidence, as I had sight of Del's ongoing engine work last night.  I would guess they are 90% complete, but then he continues to amaze me as he adds even more pipes and components.  As soon as they are completed, I'll update with pictures, before he disassembles to carry out the painting.

There have been delays in the build, but I think once the engines are completed, the rest should naturally pick up pace. 

Regards,

Kev.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Just picked up on your build, some excellent work so far, especially the two engines. Not to mention the investment in AM add ons.

I'll be following...

Colin

Many thanks Colin,

Its certainly turning into quiet a comprehensive project! progress has been a bit slower of late due to the mass of new pipework the engines have sprouted. This took a fair bit of planning/trial and error to accomplish and was predictably time consuming but I'm winning now! 

I hope to put up some recent photos to show how things have changed in the next day or so....though I can't match Kev's photos skills, my rough and ready shots will illustrate how things look now until he can work his usual magic as you've seen in the previous images.

Cheers,

Del.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Though it’s been a while since the last posting here, the Jaguar project has certainly evolved. Mostly concentrating on scratch-building small components for the engines but most significantly; adding pipe runs and cabling (various gauges of copper, aluminium and lead wire), which has been a complicated and very fiddly job.

Though there is still some detailing to do, adding fine gauge pipework and some cabling to areas of the lower engine sections, before too long the engines and a few other sub-assemblies will be ready for painting to commence.  If all goes well, the next installment  should include some photos showing both engines fully assembled to pre-paint stage.

Regards,

Del

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

It's taken a longer than anticipated, but the fuselage's engine is now finished, along with the aircraft's associated components and fittings:

Adour Mk 104

Adour Mk 104

Adour Mk 104

Adour Mk 104

Now photographed, the engine will be removed from the fuselage and stripped down, so painting of the parts can be started.

The second engine, fitted within a 'layby stand', is now also complete.  This will be photographed over the weekend and uploaded, so it too can be returned to Del for stripdown and painting etc.

Kev.

Edited by Kev Gregory
  • Like 23

49 minutes ago, DAG058 said:

That engine...crikey! I am looking forward to watching this one develop. 

Much appreciated DAG058,  from the start I realised the engine could get more and more congested with every part I scratch-built, so with this in mind the main engine body,  lower section  were built as separate components. The main reason was to ease the eventual painting process!  However, I overlooked the series of pipes that run between and join both components....so now these also have to be treated as separate parts to be painted/added at final assembly!.......where is the JD bottle!😩 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, woody37 said:

That is stunning. There's a lot of scratch building crammed in there, hope to see some paint on it soon :)

Thanks very much Woody37, that particular nightmare will soon be starting!👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, RMP2 said:

Brilliant stuff.
Theres some fiddly painting to be done!

Hope to see more soon, keep up the amazing work.

Thank you very much RMP2,  it will indeed be very fiddly.....I have a therapist ready on standby! 🤪LOL.  Some more photos will also be following soon, showing the other engine mounted in its layby stand.

• Like 2

On 3/11/2021 at 9:51 PM, Max Headroom said:

Utter wow :gobsmacked:

Trevor

Very much appreciated Trevor, this detailing has taken considerably longer than I anticipated.....so very fiddly, plus its the first engine I've ever tackled, so its taught me much that will be useful in the future....one thing I love about modelling, y'never stop learning!👍

• Like 1

Unbelievable. It’s as much as I can do to stick a few Eduard bits in a cockpit.

Your modelling skill is Lionel Messi level to my Sunday league hoofer. 

How do you get that good? 

• Like 1