SEPECAT Jaguar GR.1 - Kitty Hawk 1/48

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2020 at 5:55 PM, Alan P said:

This is brilliant work so far @Boltcropper , you're an expert fabricator. From a fellow blu-tac and masking tape aficionado!

Alan

Much appreciated Alan P, thank you. Definitely a project that has tested me, but also taught me so much! Like you I'm proud of my blue-tac and tape credentials...it makes everything possible, although some of it downright fiddly!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, rodenlee said:

Seriously unbelievable work there!

I am nearly finished a pretty-well OOB build and take my hat of to the work being done here!!

Cheers

Shaun

I look forward to seeing your build Shaun, was it the Kitty Hawk model?

Fabulous modelling Del, and great photography Kev (don’t really know what a focus-stacked set is, but wotever it is the results are exquisite) :D

On 10/23/2020 at 7:05 PM, Kev Gregory said:

The aircraft will look like this, other than it will be XX731 'GK'.

SEPECAT Jaguar

We had XX731 on 6sqn a bit later in the 80’s - after she’d been upgraded to GR1A standard.  I think she was ‘ED’ then.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, rodenlee said:

Seriously unbelievable work there!

I am nearly finished a pretty-well OOB build and take my hat of to the work being done here!!

Cheers

Shaun

Many thanks Shaun, The extra detail included and modifications carried out are to support a very specific theme, its working well so far and it will soon be time for some paint.  All of us who have built this kit know of the little 'quirks' that come with it, but these issue aside,  I've seen fantastic OOB builds produced by our fellow modeller's out there.  Is your own project is an RAF example? would love to see some photos on here!

Cheers,

Del.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Boltcropper said:

Many thanks Shaun, The extra detail included and modifications carried out are to support a very specific theme, its working well so far and it will soon be time for some paint.  All of us who have built this kit know of the little 'quirks' that come with it, but these issue aside,  I've seen fantastic OOB builds produced by our fellow modeller's out there.  Is your own project is an RAF example? would love to see some photos on here!

Cheers,

Del.

Hi Del

I like your use of "quirks"!!

Yes mine is an RAF version.  I've just about finished it...should be up on here shortly.

Cheers 

Shaun

• Like 2

Don't use those Jaguar A gun barrels. They are for the DEFA cannons fitted to the French Jags. The 30mm Aden guns on the British Jags had a shorter barrel that stopped inside the blast tubes. So no barrels stick out around the pen nib fairings.

Pictures from the BM walkaround section.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Also don't put the little practice bombs on the CBLS when you build it. As you are building it to represent an engine change, any weapons would have been unloaded. Safety procedure.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

Don't use those Jaguar A gun barrels. They are for the DEFA cannons fitted to the French Jags. The 30mm Aden guns on the British Jags had a shorter barrel that stopped inside the blast tubes. So no barrels stick out around the pen nib fairings.

Pictures from the BM walkaround section.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Also don't put the little practice bombs on the CBLS when you build it. As you are building it to represent an engine change, any weapons would have been unloaded. Safety procedure.

Thanks for the gun tip (excuse the pun) Rob, again, much appreciated.  I had assumed the latter part about no practice bombs, assuming even smoke and flash would have some safety requirements, but didn't know for sure ( I was a Sootie, not an Armourer). 

• Like 1

WOW !......Just picked up on this thread. My first tour in the RAF was at St Athan and one of my responsibilities was logistics support to EROS (Engine Repair & Overhaul Squadron) which had been set up to provide Third-Line servicing for the Adour (both Jaguar and Hawk) and, at the time, was also busy preparing a line to support the 'brand new' RB199 for the Tornado fleet. I spent a lot of time on the hangar floor and subsequently became even more familiar with the Adour engine, after tours at both RAF Coltishall and Valley. I was, therefore, very impressed with the work that has gone into those two engines for this model and really look forward to seeing the finished article. Judging by the workmanship and attention to detail that has gone into everything thus far, it is going to be a very impressive diorama.

Well Done, Sir !   

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Tiger331 said:

WOW !......Just picked up on this thread. My first tour in the RAF was at St Athan and one of my responsibilities was logistics support to EROS (Engine Repair & Overhaul Squadron) which had been set up to provide Third-Line servicing for the Adour (both Jaguar and Hawk) and, at the time, was also busy preparing a line to support the 'brand new' RB199 for the Tornado fleet. I spent a lot of time on the hangar floor and subsequently became even more familiar with the Adour engine, after tours at both RAF Coltishall and Valley. I was, therefore, very impressed with the work that has gone into those two engines for this model and really look forward to seeing the finished article. Judging by the workmanship and attention to detail that has gone into everything thus far, it is going to be a very impressive diorama.

Well Done, Sir !   

Wow, EROS, there's a blast from the past!  After leaving Bruggen on Jags I was posted to Honington on Tornados to the Engine Bay (86-87) and had to do the KHD secondary power systems course at Saints.  An incredible few weeks, possibly for all the wrongs reasons, which to this day arm me with beer drinking tales!! 🙂

Edited by Kev Gregory
  • Like 1