SEPECAT Jaguar GR.1 - Kitty Hawk 1/48

9 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Wow, certainly looks the part! Those accessories probably cost about the same as I'd spend on about four kits on ebay! 😂

LOL, well, it's a one-off build to represent my time on 54 Sqn many moons ago, so it was worth it.  Mind you, I'm not sure the wife would necessarily agree! LOL

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Work is progressing on the undercarriage, dry assembled here to enable photographic record.

Three images of the nose wheel assembly, each image is a focus-stacked composite of approximately 40 separate images to capture all the detail:

Nose Gear

Nose Gear

Nose Gear

Edited by Kev Gregory
  • Like 8

Hello all, my first post here as the 1/48 Kitty Hawk Jaguar model builder, thank you for your encouraging responses and comments, very much appreciated.  Just some background to accompany Kev’s latest excellent photos of the front under carriage bay.  Having cleaned up the white metal undercarriage parts I’ve added lots of small details from Albion Alloys brass & aluminium tube, Hydraulic lines are from fine aluminium wire, other components are made from plastic card and sections of plastic rod profiles….port and starboard undercarriage bays and units are next!

Edited by Boltcropper
Updated wording
  • Like 7

Look fantastic.  Now question for you.  Glue in place & then paint or paint and then assemble?  I usually paint then assemble, followed by touch up of areas where the paint has come off, been touched by glue & smeared, etc.  I always want to put things together and then paint but am always concerned I can’t get to the detail areas.  Plus I am sure you would get a better adhesion without the paint on

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wolfhound32 said:

It’s almost a shame to apply paint on this work of art... it’s beautiful enough like this

Thanks, very much appreciated Wolfhound32. As everyone that has tackled the Kittyhawk kit knows, it has its 'quirks'. I've seen many very helpful write ups on here about it and had plenty of great advice from fellow modellers telling how they achieved this or overcame that. Kev and I thought it might be helpful to document this build with his excellent photos to return the favours and maybe offer something back by showing how I deal with certain things.  My normal fodder is 1/72 aircraft so this has been an enjoyable learning experience  for me so far!

Edited by Boltcropper
Updated Wording
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bar side said:

Look fantastic.  Now question for you.  Glue in place & then paint or paint and then assemble?  I usually paint then assemble, followed by touch up of areas where the paint has come off, been touched by glue & smeared, etc.  I always want to put things together and then paint but am always concerned I can’t get to the detail areas.  Plus I am sure you would get a better adhesion without the paint on

Hi Bar Side, thanks for your interest.

Yes like you I normally assemble as much as possible before applying paint ( I also remove any dry paint from areas where adhesive will go to improve adhesion).  Wherever possible, I  usually model in sub assemblies to allow, as you also mentioned , access to detail areas that would be difficult to reach later on in construction, (exactly the situation shown in Kev's photos of the main undercarriage leg assembly).   You have a very good point here and I think the way we've portrayed this stage of the build might be a bit misleading to some, so I'll outline what has been done and why. 

The resin undercarriage bay, white metal main leg and scratch-built hydraulic component (running into the bay). plus the two resin wheels are all separate and will eventually be painted/weathered  as separate  sub assemblies. For reasons of clarity for Kev's photos I  have temporarily assembled everything you see with diluted PVA.....yes very time consuming and fiddly but it dries invisible and (I find) is easily removed once the photos are taken, this is a method I've used several  times where clarity is needed for photos.

I have also used Maskol liquid masking fluid to good effect as an adhesive for temporary dry construction whilst scratch-building on many occasions, but  drying dark purple it can obscure detail, also looks a little messy under the sort of photo resolution  Kev  employs.   

Edited by Boltcropper
Wording Update
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that @Boltcropper I had assumed the photos were dry fit but didn’t realise you temporarily glue with ova.  I tend to just use blutac but that adds an extra thickness to the joins.  I have seen some great results by assembly, glue & paint - the temptation to add a drop of cyanoacrylate after a successful dry fit is always there.  But I still take them apart, paint separately (or sub assembly) and then reassemble.

The detail on those legs looks great.  And the removed Adour makes me wonder why no one does resin engines - Avon, Spey, with a stand.  There would surely be a market. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bar side said:

Thanks for that @Boltcropper I had assumed the photos were dry fit but didn’t realise you temporarily glue with ova.  I tend to just use blutac but that adds an extra thickness to the joins.  I have seen some great results by assembly, glue & paint - the temptation to add a drop of cyanoacrylate after a successful dry fit is always there.  But I still take them apart, paint separately (or sub assembly) and then reassemble.

The detail on those legs looks great.  And the removed Adour makes me wonder why no one does resin engines - Avon, Spey, with a stand.  There would surely be a market. 

Hi Bar Side, I am also a blue-tac and tape modeller....never failed me yet! (see the earlier photos in this build).   As you will see with mine, the blue tac can only do so much in photos, fine for those general views but when Kev needed to take his high resolution photos I had  to use another approach for temporary assembly.  I agree with you the temptation to use a mere sliver of cyano is high, particularly in those very small bonding areas but I simply did not want to take the chance.

I'm glad you like what we've done so far with the undercarriage, as you appreciate its not easy but I'm hoping it will make a significant difference when the painting starts.  Again really pleased to hear the engine detailing has been received so positively (the engines are actually the main focus of this diorama).  This is the  first time I've taken on detailing/largely  scratch-building an aero engine of any kind......its been no easy feat! 

I totally agree with you about the aftermarket possibilities for producing really nice resin representations of the popular/well known engines such as the Adour, Spey, and if required, they would provide an ideal base for further detailing, either way I'm sure they would sell!

• Like 3