8 hours ago, Dr. Quack said:

Thanks @Spookytooth, this build is warts 'n all as I'm trying to learn new stuff as I go , and seeking the advice and wisdom that is the BM hive mind.

Thanks @Anthony in NZ, most kind, too kind as ever. Your thirty-tooth Spey F4 will be something to behold and I for one, am impatient to see it...............and you WILL be showing it here, won't you? :fight:

Q

LOL yes mate, I will show it here.... Too many on BM have been so helpful!

Right.

Bit more reportage from Q.

Most recent excitement, however, is the news that Quack Towers has recently been under the threat of a Yellow Snow Warning!

I'm really glad I escaped that...... I noticed a little of the White stuff - gone now....... but what on earth did I do to deserve the warning of YELLOW SNOW!!? :fraidnot: 

White Christmas / Yellow Christmas?? Must be Global Warming....

Okay-Dokay as my esteemed colleague Dr. Lecter always used to say...

On with the build.

I've muddied up the exterior with oils a bit more, trying to make things lighter near the for'ard end, graduating to Decidedly Grubby at the stern. Happily the oils were perfectly happy under a coat or two of MRP Semi-Matt (Lacquer) varnish - no melting or bleeding. :phew:

Really, sorry about the quality of the photos - rubbish light, rubbish photographer and rubbish camera phone - but the result is honestly much more noticeable to the human eye - I'm actually quite pleased, though less so when I look at these photos - sorry it's all I've got.

50698784421_4cb4cd0602_b.jpg108 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

Near the pointy end:

50698866437_9aa3290e69_b.jpg109 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

....and now the rear:

50698866362_75a6a754fc_b.jpg110 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

Now the canopies have been removed and I can finish off the cockpit details. Still some etch to cover the cockpit sills, and some wire cabling on the bulkheads so that things don't look too plain - not completely reference-accurate but best I can do. Still to be painted / dry-brushed etc, but coming along. Again, the usual photo-apologies apply.

50698783961_30b627da6d_b.jpg111 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

50698040448_af6091518f_b.jpg112 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

50698783971_d535ae7eaf_b.jpg114 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

50698783851_c221fef56a_b.jpg115 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

I think once the painting is completed and the seats are in place it'll look ok.

The odd, slightly suggestive looking object on the port side of the Nav's position is meant to represent the eyepiece for the periscope, and corresponds with the exterior kit-part, on the other side of the window blank. It's a short section of stretched sprue melted at the end to create an expansion to represent the eye-cup. The periscope is a fairly prominent feature in the rear cockpit, though mine really just looks like something that could take your eye out - maybe needs a big warning placard!?    Wait up........OK, I've searched the Eduard catalogue for one which reads "Careful! You could have somebody's eye out with that!" but strangely they don't seem to do one........ :fraidnot:

Anyway, that's all I have for you today.

The End (of the build) is Nigh, but I always find that the last detail painting jobs and assembly of the fiddly bits that stick out / hang off and generally cause a nuisance, takes an unexpectedly large amount of time and concentration (and is usually the most Disaster-Prone part of a build), so, don't expect too much more too soon. It'll be done when it's done.

If you don't hear from me soon I'll just wish you all a Happy Christmas / Hanukkah / Winter Holiday / Glut-Fest, and recommend you all go easy on the glue fumes this year - I'll say it just once more this year: You CAN NOT flambe Xmas Pud with Tamiya Extra Thin!......

Keep Calm and Mangle some Plastic.

:dunce:

• Like 12

Great build and brilliant detail in the cockpit.

I may be able to add a little to the weapons load question. On regular training missions the RAF Phantom was either 'L' fit with the two wing tanks and an empty centerline point, or 'M' fit which had all three fuel tanks fitted (usually only on exercise, night flying, when the squadron was holding QRA duties or when the squadron boss was flying for hours!).

when not on QRA duties (80% of the normal training flying) the usual weapons fit was a single Aim 9L seeker head on one of the missile rails (basically just the seeker head on the front of a tube and can be modelled by removing all the fins from a regular missile) and a single skyflash dummy round on one of the forward (usually port) fuselage recesses. This can be modelled again by removing the fins from a skyflash missile and painting the tube blue.

Hope this helps. Looking forward to seeing the finished result.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info @Alieneck - grateful for your input - all info always helpful. 👍

I've decided to go for a QRA loadout with a full complement of 3 tanks, 4x AIM 9L's and 4x Skyflash - or at least that's the plan if I can get my Thingers and Fumbs working in unison. 

Cheers.

• Like 2

Chapter 11

In which we realise that Quack can be extremely silly.

Quack Towers is once again silent and peaceful. 

Another night has been spent barricading the premises against the usual crowds of peasants with blazing torches and pitchforks, howling for blood and Hoisin sauce.

Disturbed nights and loss of concentration - a tired Quack - perhaps this explains the further disasters that have befallen the House of Quack.

Allow me to offer some explanation.....

After my recent post, in which I prophesied that the end of the build is the most Disaster-Prone, I discovered a large unaccountable stain on the underside of my build - large and bright blue!

Satan's Underpants! Where the hell did THAT come from???!

I truly have no idea - the build is of course undertaken in hermetically sealed Laboratory conditions with all work undertaken behind radiation proof glass using remote manipulators (which admittedly upsets some of the villagers who invariably assume that the Mad Doctor is up to his Mischief.................. again) - so where on earth did this blue stain come from??

I have no blue pigments in that room at the moment and am at a loss for an explanation.

No I will NOT show you a photo of this - it's too distressing!

Anyway, unwilling to completely strip the underside, I tried to patch-repair the offending area, cleaning the offending area of damage, then re-coating with primer and undersurface colour, then a gloss coat and blending in with oils before a semi-matt top coat...............

Success?    Well, partly - It's less noticeable now but there are some signs of paint damage that looks like surface contamination affecting the new layers - still a LOT better than a bright blue mess!

Disaster over!

Well, not quite...........shortly (ok immediately) after this, I managed to drop the bloody thing on the floor again! I refer to this as a Structural Homogeneity Impact Test - named after the acronym which sprang to mind / lips when the build fell to the floor, no longer structurally homogeneous - bits everywhere!

Happily the bits were recoverable and intact, and now reattached.

So has anything GOOD happened since last I posted?

Errrrrr, managed to salvage most of the build I think - have a look............

The underside is a bit busier, with most of the dangly bits attached (er....reattached!)

50729087563_d0b21ac2ab_b.jpg116 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

50729913017_611206872b_b.jpg117 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

50729816921_57b2aa51e9_b.jpg118 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

The seam at the nosecone is a bit dodgy now but I really can't face the major undertaking of resanding and refinishing. For someone with my dodgy eyesight it'll do, as long as I don't look at the close-ups.

Fuselage is largely finished, with upper aux doors fitted.

50729912742_ac4e23337d_b.jpg119 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

50729087493_7387da0dc4_b.jpg120 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

Cockpit completed with canopy handles fitted and sills / side frames painted.

50729912647_a95c32ff01_b.jpg121 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

50729816616_10994d62c6_b.jpg122 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

50729912582_0e62f3a4ca_b.jpg123 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

Now the seats are in and face-screen firing handles in place.

50736422822_5fd2bf0a73_b.jpg124 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

50735580243_bba152bfea_b.jpg125 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

Actually, now that I look at this picture, showing the nose of the plane projecting dangerously over the edge of the table, I think I can now rejoice that Quack is NOT a Clumsy B@sta@rd, just very very Stupid! :hmmm:

And that's it for today.

Keep safe next week everybody.

I don't think I'll risk going near the villagers for a bit - so roadkill squirrel for Quack's Christmas! Yaaaaaay, my favourite!

Q:dunce:

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Hi There,

Cracking looking Phantom.

I've got a Navy one to do at some point but one look at the stencil sheet had me running for the hills.

It's a phantom I know it's got stencils galore but Dear Bod.

You've brought back loads of memories of my time in Leuchars Signalbox watching loads of these haring off into the blue yonder.

We used to have to change the paraffin lamps in the signals at that time and the Up Section signal was right under the flight path. When these beasties were taking off on full power and you were 20 ft. up you could feel the air vibrate in your lungs.

Sorry for going on a bit.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Alistair. I grew up near Leuchars and recall the sense of sheer power these beasts evoked. If I could find  a 1/48 FG1 I'd do a Leuchars one - 892 Navy or possibly 43 or 111 Sqn. 

The stencils are initially daunting, but I found the best approach is to take it systematically in sections - amazing how quick it goes.

All the best.

Q

• Like 1

Aaaah Dr Q, another entertaining post sir!

Although entertaining I felt your pain.  And brilliant (actually very impressive) recovery!  

I just love this build and the scheme you are doing her in.  One of my favorites here on BM and one I really enjoy seeing updated.

Unlike you (I suspect) I will be sad to see this build come to an end as it is so motivating for me!

I am still working on intake internals....sigh

Cheers Anthony

• Thanks 1

Well recovered from some very "character building" trials. It's all looking very Phantom like.

I was going to say, we armourers would be after your blood for not having "noddy caps" fitted on the Sidewinders  Then I saw them hiding at the edge of image 124, so all is well. Keep up the great work.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Q

I gotta agree with everyone else, she certainly looks every bit a Phantom even after your trials and tribulations! 
Great job that man 👍 Now if you could keep from dropping it we would like to see her finished?

Cheers buddy

Iain

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’m so so late to this thread but Santa brought me this Phantom with some 1435 decals so I’m rather keen to get the Typhoon off my desk and finished. And this has just been the most entertaining and superbly fun read, all of which leads us to a superbly well finished F4. So I say thank you

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 12

In Which Quack Wakens from Hibernation

Happy New Year Everybody!!!!

:hmmm: oh wait, that was ages ago........so little happens here at Quack Towers, that time seems to have lost meaning somewhat. They tell me it's now 2021, that the world is in some kind of lockdown, and that some sort of plague threatens our collective existence!

Hah! I recall well the plague of 1345, when I was a youngster....now THAT was a Proper Plague. Caused of course by the conjunction of 3 planets, but try telling that to the young ones of today and........er.........actually some of them will believe you.....:undecided:

Anyway, I am now well protected from the pestilential miasmata with plenty of garlic, and an aversion to washing - helps the self-isolation - nobody comes anywhere near me, and even the villagers have stopped their nightly gatherings to chant with burning torches and pitchforks.

The drawbridge stays up - at least until the pubs are open again.

Anyway - what has been happening at Quack Towers that might be worthy of reporting?

Not a great deal to be fair, though I am trying hard to get this one finished......honest.

Christmas happily brought me a welcome Voucher for a well respected vendor of single-use-plastic, so I shovelled extra coal to power up the Turing Machine, jury-rigged a connection to Ye Worlde Wyde Webbe and soon claimed delivery of a nice set of QuickBoost FOD covers. Actually I'm faintly miffed that this was necessary, as I already have the Big Ed set - unfortunately the Set includes intake covers that bear no relation to those in use on Spey Phantoms - additionally, the RBF tags are entirely for American airframes, not an RAF one to be found despite this being a set dedicated to the FGR2. Teaches me to be more selective in future when buying Aftermarket sets. 

Here's where we're at:

Quick Boost resin being painted and rendered shabby......

50845066547_cf12d8d9e4_b.jpg130 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

......ready to be added to the (nearly-ready-to-be-called-finished) airframe

50845066642_2466d184eb_b.jpg131 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

Other RBF tags have been made (home printed onto an A4 paper label sheet) and added here and there - seats are also completed and fitted.

50845066337_b542f09212_b.jpg132 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

50845066567_8683a79012_b.jpg133 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

50844982531_13a3e3172f_b.jpg134 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

50845066372_7e8a630e06_b.jpg135 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

50844252113_e5fedb40ec_b.jpg136 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

Nearly done.....finishing post in the distance.

If I'm spared I'll post up a RFI topic, assuming I don't drop the damn thing again!

Take care all 😷

Keep Calm and Mangle some Plastic.

• Like 10

• 7 months later...