Hey Mr Quack

I’m loving what you’re doing with this and Mr Eduard can’t take all the credit there are some great skills on display here...it makes me want to finish my build which has been on the back burner along with my Lanc, Typhoon and Spitfire and Hurricane for way to long now. Keep up the great work buddy, she is going to look great when she’s done!

All the best

Iain

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sharpen you knives and set you ovens to 160..........Quack's Back!

Righty....

Errrrr....I've not updated much lately because I didn't think there was much to report, but looking at things as they stand, it would appear that progress has indeed been made so here's the latest from Quack Towers.

First thing to mention is that I found a superb walkaround of the FGR2 in tasteful grey - it was right here on BM all the time. A bit late in the day, but still seriously useful pics here......

Including an excellent pic of the periscope

xv497%20(94).jpg

Which is actually included in the Revell kit - Part No. C21, though this is not mentioned in the Instructions.

There's also a lovely clear pic of the auxilliary engine intake door described by @stever219

xv497%20(196).jpg

Sooooooo, what has been going on with the stalled build?

Well, I'd managed to reach the stage of gathering numerous bits of plastic together for the purposes of priming. Canopies painted inside, masks on and tacked in place with Micro Kristal Klear.

50575698123_053b7636ec_b.jpg77 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

At this point I should mention that I decided to change my usual practice of priming with a Halfords grey rattle can and invested in primer and paints from MRP.

I can only say that these paints are a complete revelation for me - yes they are lacquers and smell a bit but they spray beautifully straight from the bottle and the finish is flawless (except for the flaws UNDER the paint which are entirely mine). The pigment seems to be extremely fine and shaking is not enough to mix the paint fully, but after 30 seconds mixing with my (newly acquired) Master Tools paint stirrer it's ready to go. These paints are really transforming my airbrushing (or making me lazy if you wish) and I now look forward to paint sessions rather than dreading that I'll ruin my project. 

Also those nice people at Premium Hobbies are reliably quick to fulfil orders and even sent me an unsolicited packet of Haribo with my last order!

Happy Quack!

Right - 'nuff of that.........priming done I'm aware of a nasty seam running the length of the spine - this is one of my usual pitfalls - I never manage a build without mucking up some seams - usually in very obvious places....

50576426861_8a1e013633_b.jpg78 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

Still obvious after sanding with a Flexi-file / sticks etc.....

50576567512_399cc3a26a_b.jpg79 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

Bit miffed, and can't help thinking that my old Halfords stuff might have masked that over......if applied generously!!!!

Anyway - a jar of Mr. Surfacer 1200 turned up in my goodies-box (when the hell did I get THAT?!) and it still seemed usable - so it was duly applied.

50576427641_5611d3abde_b.jpg80 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

After a bit more sanding it seemed acceptable - or maybe it didn't, but I'd already decided it was time to move on..........and get some painting done.

The Light Grey plastic was subtly dusted with delicate coats of Light Grey primer, then garnished with three almost indistinguishably different shades of Light Grey.......et voila, the model is temptingly Grey and Quack has eyestrain!

50576566837_bb58bffc2d_b.jpg88 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

At this point Quack drops the ball  -   or rather drops the whole bl@@dy model with loss of the canopies, HUD and nose cone!

Thankfully nothing was cracked or too damaged and I manged to wrestle the tiny etched HUD from the slavering fangs of the Carpet Monster - some carpets give up their victims easily but not mine - mine is deep, fluffy and indescribably hungry - it commands respect and is therefore given the appropriate gesture of being referred to with capital letters. I'll appease it some more later by dropping it some little bits of crisps and oatcakes, and not incur it's wrath with the vacuum cleaner.

So - the bits are now reattached as can be seen above.

The greys are rather subtly different and the effect varies according to lighting and angle of view. Light Aircraft Grey BS627 undersides, Camouflage Grey BS626 fuselage and Medium Sea Grey BS637 upper wing surfaces.

The nose of these grey Phantoms were notoriously variable in colour / tone, and seemed to vary significantly between airframes and over time. I've sprayed this with Camouflage Grey mixed with a bit of Desert Pink - I think It'll do.

What else?

Oh yes, I've made a start on the main undercarriage - here firstly as supplied in the kit................

50575697723_07dd513ccc_b.jpg82 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

Then trimmed the crescentic projection and replaced it with an etch piece, supporting stretched sprue representing the attached rod - honestly I don't know what this section of the undercarriage is / does, and haven't yet found ant annotated / explanatory diagrams, so if someone can tell me about these details I'd be grateful.

50576567252_99f5c05990_b.jpg83 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

I think it looks better - this feature is quite prominent on photos of the real aircraft.

Now painted - I think that'll do. I'll not be looking to closely under there after it's finished anyway.

50576426871_1e3803a2d1_b.jpg84 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

Nose leg painted.....

50576567092_45cea586fe_b.jpg85 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

Wheel wells painted white and given a bit of Flory Grime wash.....

50575697673_b0981501f8_b.jpg86 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

50575697318_b4606d3e94_b.jpg87 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

I've not done much with the wheel wells other than paint and wash - most of the pipework appears to be white in photos so I've just highlighted it with the wash to try to let it stand out.

Btw - the battery paint mixer is excellent for stirring up the Flory clay wash - in the past I've tried shaking it and just ended up with a lot of froth and bubbles which make application rather tricky. Still lots to learn.....:dunce:

Finally - some bits are reaching the stage of finishing off - the speed-brakes are painted and a bit of wash to pick out the details. Ladder is structurally complete - ready for a bit of weathering......

50576454416_a90ee93ee8_b.jpg89 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

And that's about it for now...

Thanks for tuning in.

Keep safe.

Keep Calm and mangle some plastic!

Dr. Q😷

• Like 12

Looking very nice with the paint on. Give it a good grime wash, Phantoms were notoriously filthy.

Now you are in the paint stages, a follow on from your earlier weapon load question. Missile colours.

Skyflash were overall light aircraft grey, with white/cream nose cones. The rear hazard bands should be brown, not the red decals Revell provide.

Sidewinder 9L's are light ghost grey with the forward section anodised metal that sometimes had a green tinge to it.

Rob.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the additional info @Phone Phixer - most helpful and confirms other info I've found.

Ian Black's excellent photo books "Desert Fist" and Desert Air Force" are full of superb reference pics relevant to the coalition air forces deployed in GW1.  There are clear pictures of live weapons including Skyflash and AIM9 Mike, which looks close enough to the Lima for my purposes. I haven't reproduced the pictures here as I would presumably breach copyright. Both books highly recommended - not sure if they are still available.

Grateful for your interest and input Rob 👍

Q

I have Ian Black’s the Last of the Phantoms if there are any reference photos in there that might help?  I did mine as a twin stick so no periscope needed, but the rear display is probably now wrong.  Not that anyone but me sees it.

Some nice late Phantom pics here too

https://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=168508

I live down the road from Wattisham so to me that is always Phantom central

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great to see the Quack is back!  Your FGR.2 is looking amazing.  Sorry about the drop, but all looking good now.

Thanks for the ref pic of the Aux door in the belly, that's a good one, cheers!

Hmmm, maybe I should try these MRP paints??

Cheers Anthony

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick everybody!

Look Busy!

Here comes Quack with one of his so-called updates!

So....anything to report?

Not a lot but I won't let that stop me.

A bit of painting has been painted, giving the model a more errrrrr..... painted look.

The different greys visible here don't show a great deal of contrast but I think that's the appeal of the multi-grey scheme for me - it's quits subtle and depends on lighting and angle etc. Tail is now stylishly black. MRP paints for all - see previous post for enthusiastic meanderings relating to MRP lacquers. I've also used MRP metallic paints for the engine exhausts and heat shield panels - my first time using any metallic paints through the airbrush. I'm really rather pleased with the result - better than I was expecting of myself and should look ok when it's been covered in appropriate layers of crud.

50616887243_eb2f6dc355_b.jpg90 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

50617731832_1986974324_b.jpg91 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

Taking a break from organic solvents :drunk:I thought I'd pretty up the ordnance - surprising number of stencils needed here. The Skyflash / Sparrow shaped things are from the kit, and the AIM9's from Eduard Brassin. No close-ups here as I've noticed that I've missed some slight ejector pin marks and mould seams on the Skyflash - not bad enough that I'd go back and start again, but worthy of an addition to the "What did I learn from this Build?" list.

50617623081_be9e86b371_b.jpg92 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

And finally....... started to add some decals. LOADS of stencils on these RAF Phantoms. This is now looking spottier than me aged 14.

There is perhaps a bit of silvering appearing under some of the transfers - I think maybe my gloss coat wasn't as glossy as I thought - another addition to the "What did I Learn?" list.

50616887203_aa0cfe46ef_b.jpg93 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

"Hang on....," you say.:rant:

"What happened to XV47bloody4?":fight:

Well, I decided that the large tiger-head on the tail was just a bit too big to my eye - a bit overpowering and distracting. Anyway why should the CO always get models built of his aircraft, eh? Nothing wrong with building a line jet says I. Additionally,

I reflected on the radome colour - a bit too tan for that particular airframe, but pretty good for XV433 - perfect! Decision made!

A few more weeks of stencil placement and we should be ready for a bit of weathering / crud application.

I wondered about burying it in the garden for a bit and checking on it in the Spring.

Anyhow, that's all for today.

Thanks for tuning in.

Keep safe y'all.😷

Keep Calm and Mangle some Plastic

Q:dunce:

• Like 12

Aaaah Dr Quack is definitely back!

Great and as always entertaining update.  Boy she looks great with that black fin!

I think I am going to have to look into these MRP paints everyone is talking about...they seem failsafe...just what I need!

Nice to see you do a line bird too...might yet do that with mine too.

Cheers Anthony

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

I think I am going to have to look into these MRP paints everyone is talking about...they seem failsafe...just what I need!

Idiot proof - see, even Quack can get results!

Note to self - NEVER say idiot proof....... it`ll look bad when It all goes tit$ up.............again.

Q

• Haha 2

This update from Quack comes from a chastened Quack, a less exuberant Quack......indeed, a decidedly embarrassed Quack.

And let this be a warning to all, and a reminder that Pride Comes Before A Fall.

The modelling day starts as usual with a review of progress, in this case a look at the rather extensive stencils and decals that festoon the FGR2.

Quack looks disapprovingly at the simple red decal which represents the emergency release panel (I assume that's what it is) on the starboard fuselage under the cockpit.

It looks something like this....

50633522411_794a9ffda0_b.jpg94 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

But should look more like this.....

497%2016.JPG

Unconvincing thinks Quack.

So off comes the decal....

50633610777_def16c81d7_b.jpg95 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

And a furrowy type gouge is carved into the plastic with a drill bit, using one of those dremel-like contraptions.

50632771893_1121c7e463_b.jpg96 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

The recess is filled with a blob or two of ageing clear red paint which happens to be lying around - must be ancient, at least 25 years old.......

50633610672_ef835752d6_b.jpg97 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

and it looks a bit more realistic (ish).....or at least it does from more usual viewing distances.

50632772608_181d84e4db_b.jpg98 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

Proud Quack. Happy Quack.

But of course Quack shouldn't be happy.....EVER.:nono:

It's what my Granny used to call The Tempting Of Fate.

When Quack is a Happy Quack then it can only mean that something 'orrible is about to happen......

Like when faecal residue interfaces with a rotating mechanism.....:poo:

And it goes something like this....

Quack tackles the simple job of prettying up the red collision beacon embedded in the front edge of the fin - a simple rectangle to mask, pale silvery colour splurged on, and clear red over the top.......and it looks good enough to pass muster.

Until.

The masking tape comes off.

And Quack discovers that a rogue tail of tape has caught on the fin flash and ripped off a good portion!

Actually that's a seriously bad portion!

50633521871_a7106b5d2b_b.jpg99 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

Oh Lordy does Quack feel sick.

And more than a bit Stupid.

And embarrassed.

Is there no job so simple that Quack cannot make a complete @rse of it?

Silly shortcutting Quack who doesn't take the basic precaution of sealing decals but instead is side-tracked into rushing another "minor" task.

They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks........but yes you can......if they are really really STUPID tricks!

Happily, Quack is now over the worst of the shock and has now returned to his usual Life-state of pleasantly befuddled bewilderment, and looking for remedies to his latest (but surely not last) cock-up.

And if ANYBODY OUT THERE has a spare unused fin-flash from the Xtradecal 1/48 74 (Tiger) Squadron History set.....

This one.....

50633521766_68726abe24_b.jpg100 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

Then PLEASE contact me by PM and we can negotiate some arrangement?

Thanks for tuning in.....

Quack out. :dunce:

• Like 5

Arrgh!  But so easy to do.  I'm in the game of trying to finish my Tornado, so in between waiting for decals to soak, many minor painting touch up jobs are done.  Efficient use of time?  Maybe. Clever, given that I'm a bloke and can barely do one thing at a time?  Probably not.  I'm almost certain to get caught out..  But I will still carry on!

Al

• Thanks 1

Oh LOL...you make me laugh every time I read your updates 😆

However as good as your emergency release panel looks, it's hard to accept stuff like that happening to the fin flash.  Glad I am not the only one who does stuff like that! Cocky Quack, gets paid back....🤣

I am sure you will recover well from the minor mishap.  Looking awesome, I must say!

Cheers Anthony

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So what's happening at Quack Towers?

Well, we're still in near lockdown, the pubs are all closed and its cold, dark and bloody miserable......

Yipeee, more time to stay in and abuse some plastic!

Firstly a humungous public  THANK YOU to both @(ex)Sgtrafman and @DaveJL for their rapid rescues with (different) Decal problems.....big save.  What a wonderful community we have in BM.:thanks:

Next, we have news of some minor progress, and lastly another question for you all......

"Earwig," as my grandad used to say (earwig-o.......'ere we go)

So, stencils in place, and sealed, I thought it would be fun to try some weathering. I don't normally do much in this line - I could argue that just prefer the look of model aircraft without stark panel lines and geometrical shading you could play noughts and crosses on, but it's really something more to do with my lack of experience and being a wimpy scaredy-cat.

Pictures, however, show that F-4s were pretty filthy animals, so this is now turning into an exercise in Teach Yourself Oil Weathering for Dummies, er Dimmies, er Quack :dunce:

Starting fairly lightly with a thin panel wash in bluey-grey and some rusty brown for moving parts and hinges...

50668484397_25861d2013_b.jpg101 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

50667662893_db219b2895_b.jpg103 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

Slightly heavier.....

50667662488_ff94226ed9_b.jpg104 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

and heavier still....I've deeply filled the missile troughs, hopefully this'll give a shadowed effect to the recess when the ordnance is fitted......(?)

50668484057_d70ae16eae_b.jpg105 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

The lighting is rubbish unfortunately, and I'm just using my phone for pictures - the effect is a bit washed out I think - looks better with real human eyeballs - honest!

Still got the main fuselage to do - maybe some panel fading and general application of grubbiness. I may make the underside weathering a bit heavier if feeling adventurous, but I'm still a believer that 'less is more' convincing.

And with all this washing going on, It's highlighted a pretty awful seam I've missed on one of the Sargent Fletchers......

50668411136_c2bdfa0de6_b.jpg107 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

Looks worse in real life. And just when I thought I'd finished all the sanding :undecided:

And now that question you were promised.

Now that I've used lacquer paints and sealing coat (all MRP) with oils to wash, smear and spatter, what can I safely use as a clear coat on top without dissolving what has already been applied? I have a supply of MRP lacquer varnish, and also my old stand-by which is W&N Galeria, water based acrylic. Would water based be safer on top of oils?:hmmm:

Thanks to everybody who tunes in and to folks who take pity and help out...

Keep safe😷

Keep Calm and mangle some plastic

:dunce:

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Dr. Quack said:

So what's happening at Quack Towers?

Well, we're still in near lockdown, the pubs are all closed and its cold, dark and bloody miserable......

Yipeee, more time to stay in and abuse some plastic!

Firstly a humungous public  THANK YOU to both @(ex)Sgtrafman and @DaveJL for their rapid rescues with (different) Decal problems.....big save.  What a wonderful community we have in BM.:thanks:

Next, we have news of some minor progress, and lastly another question for you all......

"Earwig," as my grandad used to say (earwig-o.......'ere we go)

So, stencils in place, and sealed, I thought it would be fun to try some weathering. I don't normally do much in this line - I could argue that just prefer the look of model aircraft without stark panel lines and geometrical shading you could play noughts and crosses on, but it's really something more to do with my lack of experience and being a wimpy scaredy-cat.

Pictures, however, show that F-4s were pretty filthy animals, so this is now turning into an exercise in Teach Yourself Oil Weathering for Dummies, er Dimmies, er Quack :dunce:

Starting fairly lightly with a thin panel wash in bluey-grey and some rusty brown for moving parts and hinges...

50668484397_25861d2013_b.jpg101 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

50667662893_db219b2895_b.jpg103 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

Slightly heavier.....

50667662488_ff94226ed9_b.jpg104 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

and heavier still....I've deeply filled the missile troughs, hopefully this'll give a shadowed effect to the recess when the ordnance is fitted......(?)

50668484057_d70ae16eae_b.jpg105 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

The lighting is rubbish unfortunately, and I'm just using my phone for pictures - the effect is a bit washed out I think - looks better with real human eyeballs - honest!

Still got the main fuselage to do - maybe some panel fading and general application of grubbiness. I may make the underside weathering a bit heavier if feeling adventurous, but I'm still a believer that 'less is more' convincing.

And with all this washing going on, It's highlighted a pretty awful seam I've missed on one of the Sargent Fletchers......

50668411136_c2bdfa0de6_b.jpg107 by Niall Robertson, on Flickr

Looks worse in real life. And just when I thought I'd finished all the sanding :undecided:

And now that question you were promised.

Now that I've used lacquer paints and sealing coat (all MRP) with oils to wash, smear and spatter, what can I safely use as a clear coat on top without dissolving what has already been applied? I have a supply of MRP lacquer varnish, and also my old stand-by which is W&N Galeria, water based acrylic. Would water based be safer on top of oils?:hmmm:

Thanks to everybody who tunes in and to folks who take pity and help out...

Keep safe😷

Keep Calm and mangle some plastic

:dunce:

Hi Q

In the past I've sprayed my model with 2 or 3 gloss coats using acrylic varnish, lightly sanded back using 4000 grit, given the model a "Flory" wash sealed that with a lacquer varnish then applied oils (sparingly) before giving it a final lacquer coat to seal it. I didn't weather my Phantom because I was having trouble with the decals lifting and I didn't want to risk making more work for my self. Of course the beauty of using oils over acrylic is that its easy to wipe off if you're not happy with the results. I'm not sure if that answers your question or not but its my usual method.

Cheers buddy

Iain

• Thanks 1

Oh nice! Looking great. I gre up watching Drakens and Viggens out of F10 Wing (mostly), flying overhead. But I feel almost as strongly for the RAF and FAA Phantoms, such wonderful brutes! Fg.1 or FGR. 2, both a re cool! And you have done a great job so far! :D

• Thanks 1

Thanks @(ex)Sgtrafman Iain. From what you say it sounds as though the lacquer varnish is safe on top of weathering oils - I was a bit worried that the solvent would be too hot and damage the oily stuff underneath.

Thanks for you kind comments @Paramedic.....we share some interests (but not the running since my knees gave up)

Q

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have just read through this build and I must say what a delightful thread, you should be proud of this sir.

The trials and tribulations of building makes me wonder why we do this hobby, but it is so much fun (Ithink0) LOL.

Nice work Dr Quack.

Simon.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Spookytooth, this build is warts 'n all as I'm trying to learn new stuff as I go , and seeking the advice and wisdom that is the BM hive mind.

Thanks @Anthony in NZ, most kind, too kind as ever. Your thirty-tooth Spey F4 will be something to behold and I for one, am impatient to see it...............and you WILL be showing it here, won't you? :fight:

Q

• Like 2