Roden Gloster Sea Gladiator in 1/48th Scale.Finished.

Hello again Chums,

The red has been painted,now I can pick up the pace a bit.It looks a bit more convincing than the decals do.

OZfiyU4.jpg

Masking on for the black underside.Hang on a mo,there's no ailerons or gun pods.

6AURHrf.jpg

The gun pods were cut from the frame.They only needed a little part line scraping to tidy them up.

JDvaiQu.jpg

I did,however,dish out the centres of the mating faces so that they've a better chance of sitting in place without gaps.

edotIs2.jpg

The inside faces of the ailerons were painted as I went along having drilled the relevant holes in them for the rigging.

mpjBmo9.jpg

These components are moulded the same for each side but the lower wing won't take them as is so I had to flatten off the upper leading edge of those a little to make them fit.The upper ones went in without any extra fettling.

w1KGWQ2.jpg

All of that was fitted up and left to set overnight.This morning I made a mix of matt black with a drop of grey and slathered it on all the bits that are supposed to be black,including a repaint of the upper wing 'cos I did that in satin and this is matt.

sBYi8Gc.jpg

Guess what I've forgotten to do.The aileron rigging.More soon Chums,thanks for looking in.

• Like 5

Yiiiikes!

Scrambling for a silver lining: If it had to happen, at least it was on a generally flat area free of detail. Hopefully when it cures you can use a blade to scrape it down so only light sanding necessary and paint might hide imperfections. good luck.

They need a SCREAM option to go with the like button -- something more horrific than "Sad"

• Like 1

G'day again Chums,

Ol' Scrapiron,thanks old fruit.As I said earlier out of the bad can come the good.It's my own fault for using the tube of glue instead of the little droplets on the end of a length of wire like I normally do.

I don't know whether to whinge or wayhey really,does anyone remember when Humbrol enamels actually used to stick to the plastic it was applied to?

pijiVNq.jpg

Some gentle prodding with the tip of the scalpel blade peeled the paint back with the superglue still attached and no damage to the surface underneath.Phew,got away with that one.To be fair I wasn't happy with the rigging,it didn't go together too well probably due to me trying to jolly it along a little so that needs a little reworking.

4ZuuJf7.jpg

All will be sweetness and light sometime soon.Thanks for looking in Chums,more soon.

• Like 3

Hello again Chums,some more has been rattled.

Ozzy,thanks old fruit.The kitchen table,pyjamas,bedsheets,best trousers,carpets,the list goes on :poo: .

There's not a lot for the elevators to mount on so some holes were drilled and some copper wire pins were cut and glued in.While I was in there the surplus superglue from the rigging job was cleaned off ready for paint. 

GPBEZFf.jpg

The engine and cowling will need to be fitted sometime soon.As supplied it all sits too far forward.

BQwqLiU.jpg

The least complicated solution being the most desirable I decided to open up the hole in the bulkhead to take the crankcase,but it needed to be a good enough fit to take glue.A suitable size hole was sought from my SAM saw,a slightly too large one was found.

xkIP0IS.jpg

A pencil line was drawn as a guide.

IABQ7L4.jpg

Staying within the line the cut was made.I offered up the engine and sat there wondering why it was rocking until I realised that the two semicircular lumps next to the gun troughs were in the way and needed to be removed.

qtIt6f2.jpg

Thankfully not too much had been cut out and it all sits in place not quite tight but well enough for glue.

7bDUTWd.jpg

H7dqwu0.jpg

The sharp edges of the bulkhead were hidden with a spot of milliput.

Ll5pdbF.jpg

There's not a lot of the kit components left to put on.

piCcVf4.jpg

The sliding portion of the canopy should really be replaced with a thinner one.What I'm going to do is add some plastic strip to the bottom edges so that it sits properly and not look too hard at that bit once she's finished.Bearing in mind that this bit is half the size of my thumbnail that shouldn't be too difficult to achieve.

p6GGcBe.jpg

This has all happened in between touching in the paint on and around the roundels which can best be described as a basis for improvement and have reminded me of the need to make sure that masking tape is firmly burnished down to avoid paint bleed.

More soon Chums,thanks for looking in.

• Like 5

G'day again Chums,twiddly bits this time.There is a hole provided for the downward identification light but I've lost the glassware for it so a new one needs to be made.A circular length of runner will do this job.It's slightly oversize but I have a little plan.

dhBdc7x.jpg

A slice was cut off the end and polished up.The hole was drilled out to take it and a drop of silver paint daubed inside it.

iLyXg12.jpg

The clear disc was then let into the hole and a drop of Klear used to secure it.While I was round there I thought that the footstep could do with some attention so I made and soldered together a replacement from,you guessed it,copper wire which just happened to be the diameters I was looking for.

EdzOrIE.jpg

Those enigmatic little intakes inside the cowling were next.They were cleaned up and the ends hollowed out.

MIvhCNF.jpg

The antenna pole on the rudder as supplied won't last past a breath of wind.Copper wire again,filed into a taper and the end flattened with pliers.

pjLiYMl.jpg

A slot was cut into the rudder above its pivoting axis and the new item superglued in.

DwK3wYw.jpg

All the air intakes were glued into position.

16mWHO2.jpg

A new upper wing mast was made and fitted.

6rc6tSx.jpg

A start was made on the tail lamp.

MTS0BE6.jpg

The extra bits were glued to the canopy.

2wtOffB.jpg

That was a very productive afternoon and evenings work.Some decalling happened too but I didn't take any piccies of that.More soon Chums,thanks for looking in.

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 4

I( especially like the rudder antenna -- flattening the end and creating a slot rather than trying to just stick a rod into the top. That should be a much better purchase and be more secure. I'm going to file that away for the next project.

• Like 1

Hello again Chums,

Ol' Scrapiron,thanks old fruit.I've always liked the idea of solid construction and easy methods of doing so,I'm glad you like the idea.

A coat of Vallejo Matt Varnish was brushed on overall.Once dry the cockpit masking and side door were removed.The door was fixed in place using self adhesive aluminium foil which takes away the vagaries of a tiny glueing area while allowing the door to hang properly.This had a slathering of cockpit green paint.

ISQebRe.jpg

The exhausts were cut from the frame,the part lines scraped back and the ends hollowed out.

NhWzahU.jpg

A spot of locating and hole drilling later they were mounted and that's when I found out that they are two different lengths.If you don't tell anyone I'm not going to.

wpZspb8.jpg

These were then painted and made to look like they grew there.There was a little touching in around the cockpit area,isn't macro photography cruel.

1IOLfHC.jpg

teAOjWz.jpg

The engine was fitted.

Cge5xqW.jpg

If you're wondering what happened to steps 3 to 6,they all happened just not in the suggested sequence.The wheels went on last,needing no fettling at all.

IJsptit.jpg

Anyway,I'm calling her done.I'm not going to add the wire antenna,I don't have any wire fine enough and it won't survive the current storage method.

SztGEmD.jpg

OyMK8Ii.jpg

Qy4vwZw.jpg

9BC7P7V.jpg

uVc7S2F.jpg

bJoM18b.jpg

fbrA0QJ.jpg

WU56c8W.jpg

LiSXhUn.jpg

I've just seen the bent gun barrel.And the wonky bits of rigging.Considering most of it had to be done twice and the amount of handling there's been I don't think it's turned out too bad.

Thanks for looking in and commenting Chums,see you on the next one.

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 13

• Alex Gordon changed the title to Roden Gloster Sea Gladiator in 1/48th Scale.Finished.