1/48 Kinetic M-346 RSAF

DonH

Having bought an Eduard 1/48 MkI Spitfire and with two Tamiya 1/48 Spitfires in the stash, what do I pick to assemble? That's right:

ITtVfPd.jpg

This is coming at you OOB, no extra frills, in RSAF livery.

So far, the fit is excellent but I know I am going to have fun with the intakes.

Cockpit and seats built up. Next is some fun with the supplied PE.

HOXreha.jpg

SnHTWJI.jpg

Now I have a problem. Any ideas how to fix this? (It should be straight, in case you are wondering).

I4Fe5I0.jpg

More to come later.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DonH said:

Having bought an Eduard 1/48 MkI Spitfire and with two Tamiya 1/48 Spitfires in the stash, what do I pick to assemble? That's right:

ITtVfPd.jpg

This is coming at you OOB, no extra frills, in RSAF livery.

So far, the fit is excellent but I know I am going to have fun with the intakes.

Cockpit and seats built up. Next is some fun with the supplied PE.

HOXreha.jpg

SnHTWJI.jpg

Now I have a problem. Any ideas how to fix this? (It should be straight, in case you are wondering).

I4Fe5I0.jpg

More to come later.

Nice project!

Try to straighten it out in hot water, but be careful not to break it!

• Thanks 1

Splashed some paint on the instrument panels and the cockpit. A bit heavy on the wash in the footwells, but it won't be seen.

Dry brushing to bring out the switches, cocktail stick for the red/yellow stuff and a green sharpie to do the screens. The screens look better in real life - they are not as shiny as in the photos.

Next step...ejector seats.

Ai1auMv.jpg

V5neL4j.jpg

6cu5O9q.jpg

tSg0Rxp.jpg

y14JR3C.jpg

• Like 3

I am really enjoying this kit. The fit is excellent, although not perfect. I have found a couple of blanks where locating holes should be, but nothing a modicum of modelling nous can't fix.

For a "gold" kit I would have liked a few more stencil decals for the ejector seats and cockpit, but apart from that, it's very good.

I have seen other builds where the intakes are a nightmare, so I was forewarned. I would like to thank those that have gone before for their service in this regard because, after a bit of minor fettling, my intakes clicked into place and have required a minimum of filler. In fact, the photo looks worse than reality because I have put some PPP in all the joints for safety. Some of this will disappear because they are actually panel lines.

ZEKr0Ec.jpg

My experience so far is that, if the fit is not quite right, there is a samll amount of flash or other detritus that needs to be cleared out. Then the fit is excellent. My lack of skill (and additional tentacles a la Martian) is the only thing that is really causing gaps in joints. So, we are up to here now...

fsO0RAc.jpg

b6tMviF.jpg

And then for fun, I added the dangly bits for show, without glue...

TvPJ9Uk.jpg

The nose wheel assembly is a pain and I have some tricky masking in my future.

qwcrfqZ.jpg

I have to say, the landing gear is very sturdy, my first impression was the opposite, but the main gear is locked in solid now and the nose gear is good also. This is not a tail sitter, no extra weight is needed in the front end (I think).

In other news, the carpet monster is winning 2-0. I have lost an antenna from the side of the tail fin and a small aerial on the fuselage. Curse you carpet monster!!!

Next up, ejection seats....

Edited by DonH
  • Like 4

Next up, ejection seats....

Hk2rAgj.jpg

7JNy8mu.jpg

Actually this has nothing to do with my M-346, it is for another project that is bubbling in the background - any guesses? No?

Anyhoo, onto the M-346 ejection seats

mekjfUj.jpg

imLfQM1.jpg

7dPntC8.jpg

7ZUdhCM.jpg

Thanks to Airscale, I have been able to add some appropriate placards on the side of the seats.

In addition, I draw your attention to the black/yellow stripes on the ejection handle. This was an idea I had, using some stripey Airscale decals again.

I cut a rectangle big enough to fold over the handle front and back. Then hit it with setting solution. Once firmly shrunk down, I cut out the hole in the middle and gave it another hit with the setting solution. Before and after....

4quIM1x.jpg

For 1/48th scale, hidden in a cockpit, this works for me and is quick and easy to do. I am going to experiment with other scales - I have some Phantoms in my future...

Next up, almost ready for primer...

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

Although I have not posted much on this WIP, progress has been made. In fact, apart from some shiny paint on some probes, it's done.

Very much enjoyed this one. It was not without its foibles but goes together well with luck and some careful modelling. 

iBa702Z.jpg

DcAT50a.jpg

tE7makb.jpg

tBDkvi9.jpg

I'll post something in RFI when I have painted the tiny bits and have taken better pics.

• Like 4