Vultee Valiant BT-13 - Admiral - 1/72

Hi All,

With this post I'm finishing the series of trainer aircraft I have recently completed. 

This is the model of an aircraft that remains pretty obscure type, although it was the most numerous trainer aircraft of the USAAF during the WWII.

This is a model of a Valiant, but not of the Valiant the British modelling community expects to see 😉

So here you go - Vultee "the Vibrator" Valiant BT-13:

IMG_7788

The 1/72 kit is produced under Admiral label by AZ Models of Czech Republic. Construction was fully out of the box except for aerial wiring and exhaust pipe. Actually, I do not think any aftermarket exists for this kit. At the same time the box includes some nice goodies such as PE fret with instrument panels, seat belts, gear scissors, and flaps hinges. Also several resin parts are provided including engine and engine cowling, cockpit struts, aerial mast and pitot tube (both very fragile!). Decal sheets has three options - two for Navy SNV variant and a very colourful USAAF option. 

IMG_7792 IMG_7808

Construction was not shake and bake however without major issues. Some fitting was required for cockpit arrangement. Instruction is not very clear so I relied on photo references to understand where rear seat instrument panel cover should be placed and subsequently where seats, instruments panels etc should be located. Also photos helped to understand how exactly internal struts in the cockpit should look like. Be mindful to dry fit all these structures to make sure canopy fits later. Expectedly canopy was not a perfect match to the fuselage especially on its ends. I had to add some plastic stripes on the rear side to make sure canopy fits okay.  

Wing to fuselage jount was good. Engine construction is a bit tricky. There is nothing inside the cowling to attach the engine. Also engine is smaller than the cowling internal diameter. I attached a wider circular plastic sheet to the engine back side so that engine firmly sits on the appropriate place. 

Fragile aerial mast was replaced with a brass tube. Plastic exhaust pipe is useless so I replaced it with a wider brass pipe. Landing lights are provided in the kit and worked good. 

Masking canopy was huge fun. As you can see windows are not at all rectangular so this design was adding a bit of entertainment. Luckily now there is a Peewit masking set available but I was too quick to assemble my model :)

Painting is made with Tamiya yellow, Vallejo blue and Hobby Color red and olive drab. Model is covered with Future and probably looks very polished. Let's think cadets were diligently washing their machines.

IMG_7805 IMG_7795 IMG_7811 IMG_7816 IMG_7817 IMG_7829 IMG_7825 IMG_7837

Lastly there are some group shots. First is for size comparison next to a Hurricane. Valiant was not a small aircraft at all!

IMG_7869

Second is with two other yellow-wing peers that I have in collection:

IMG_7866

And the last is with all other trainer aircraft I have. I showed a group of three of them recently. Here is the complete bright and colourful trainer collection. 

IMG_7856

Hope you enjoyed!

Best regards,

Dennis

Edited by Dennis_C
  • Like 34

6 minutes ago, Dennis_C said:

Haha! That is true. I wonder if Valiant could actually dive.

Interesting idea. Probably  once . The question  is whether  the  vibrations would disintegrate it before  it  hit VNE. 

I suspect  more than one overly enthusiastic  young cadet tested that idea.

Thanks to all for kind words :)

46 minutes ago, Vulcanicity said:

(were Valiants really more numerous than Stearmans?!)

I think in reality the three major types - Stearmans, Valiants and Texans were in similar quantities in USAAF during the war. However of all three Valiants are definitely the most obscure aircrafts probably because of short post war career.

Actually a question - do I understand correctly that cadets were trained subsequently on Stearmans (primary trainers) then Valiants (or other basic trainers) and then Texans or other ATs such as Bobcats etc?

4 hours ago, Matthew1974 said:

First time I have seen this kit built up and you have done her proud.  Love it!

I think I have not seen any other completed Admiral (AZ) model... I saw couple of Pavla models on modellingmadness I believe. In fact it's strange as the model is not super complicated and builds quite okay. 

2 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Excellent build! Really like the paint work and I too admire how well you did masking and painting the cockpit enclosure. 

Masking was challenging indeed. And I should notice that the canopy has quite soft surface details so masking was often made using pictures rather than following molded framing.

Edited by Dennis_C

Hi guys, thanks a lot for kind words! You likes and appreciation help motivation to build more and more models!

15 hours ago, kapam said:

I had to look at this, not really knowing what a Vultee Valiant is.

I would not know either should AZ do a less attractive box art :)Isn't it surprising that the 31st world's most produced aircraft (according to Wiki) is not known to everyone even in the modelling crowd?