Revell/Monogram F4-J Phantom.

stevej60

Hi folk's,well after the Huey and Corsair time for another iconic Vietnam veteran,I popped into the shop today as my eldest wanted a kit and while he was deciding

on his next armour build I plcked up the liquid poly which was to be my only buy and ended up with the recent Revell issue of Monograms 1/72 Phantom.Now I had

always wanted a crack at this kit but was put off by a review I had read a year or two back where the reviewer gave it a good kicking and his photos showed a bit of

a flash monster.Glad to report the opposite,the kit has the finest example of raised panel detail I've ever seen and minimal flash,so once the Corsair is done I'll make

a start, sprue shot's tomorrow.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Great choice Steve, I remember building this in it's F-4D version far too many years ago.

Good to see another Monogram classic making it to the GB, I shall be adding a couple more myself soon.

well to be honest Craig I plan to do a SEA camoflaged something before I call it a day for this GB I'm keeping an eye out for a Thud Airfix would be nice.

• Like 1

welcome along Steve with another fine choice.

Yes you can't not build something in SEA camp, it's such an iconic scheme for this era.

I don't think we have a F-4D in the build yet, but nice to see another Phantom in the build.

Good luck with this one.........and the F-105 to follow! :D

• Like 2

17 hours ago, stevej60 said:

I'm keeping an eye out for a Thud Airfix would be nice.

Can't go wrong with a Thud, a fantastic aircraft.

I do remember building the Airfix one when I was around 14 and going through a building everything from Vietnam period, can't remember anything terrible about the kit but I do remember painting the iconic Wild Weasel style shark mouth by hand and being really chuffed with it at the time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/12/2020 at 3:37 PM, stevej60 said:

... ended up with the recent Revell issue of Monograms 1/72 Phantom.

Great kit. Did you decided to go ahead with the build? I have an easy way to make seamless intakes if you haven't gotten to that point yet.

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

ooh, interesting. Do tell.

Here's an old link that shows the process. I had posted the pattern in another thread, but that site went through several "rebuilds", and that thread is no longer available. If there's further interest, I'll rework the pattern and post it here (but am in the middle of hurricane clean up, so may take  a few days).

Gene K

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gene K said:

Great kit. Did you decided to go ahead with the build?

Just started a few part's last night Gene,pushing on with the A7 for a weekend finish then I'll start in earnest.

• Like 3

Morning all In between cursing and swearing trying to "bomb" up the Corsair I have tinkered with this build,now this won't go down well with everyone

but I personally think this is the best 1/72 Phantom cockpit representation I've come across if like me you run a mile from AM with a bit of care with

painting and dry brushing the busy look of the F4's office looks great.

20201004_100934

The rest of the build has been a real pleasure too a touch of filler here and there once fully dry.

20201004_103552

• Like 6

AM is your friend!!!!  :D

That said you have done a lovely job on that cockpit, and I will even admit....slightly under protest that the standard detail is very nice........for a standard model cockpit! :D

Gee you're making quick work on her........I haven't gotten to the A-7 update yet.......did the fitting of all those bombs bomb you out??  🤣 its early......

• Like 1

19 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Gee you're making quick work on her........I haven't gotten to the A-7 update yet.......did the fitting of all those bombs bomb you out??

Penned in for the gallery Saturday Rich!

• Like 2

On 10/6/2020 at 4:51 AM, SoftScience said:

These are really great kits. I wish Monogram had done more in 1/72. This kit, the f-105, and even the p-36 and p-51b were great kits.

I hope you enjoy the rest of the project. I'm having fun watching.

I have to agree that their P-51B does look good - built one years ago and still the best I have.

Pete

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi folk's thankfully my LMS is remaining open for business just a phone call and the paint I needed was delivered to me in the car park

so able to move on a few stalled builds,the Phantom is primed the a couple of coats of Tamiya white ready for masking now and on with

the gull gray.

20201108_192149

• Like 3

Evening folk's tonight I moved on the Phantom build,sprayed Tamiya Royal Gray then a few passes with a thinner darkened shade to break

up the monotone effect last job a quick mask and brush painted NATO black  which is drying nicely.I have to say this won't be my last build of 

this kit for the price it's a real gem.

20201111_194857

• Like 4