1/48 Eduard P-51D- ON HOLD

Hi Folks, 

Shamefully i wasnt aware this GB was starting but am glad ive found it. I've something of an interest in the MTO during the second world war so this is perfect for me. 

Id like to contribute to this GB with the Eduard Chattanooga Choo Choo boxing of the P51D- i'll be building the mount of Capt Fredie F Ohr based in Madna, Italy in 1944. This is the first NMF ive ever properly attempted so hopefully its passable once its finished. 

Here are the pictures of the box contents and the option i have gone with: 

20200912-205929.jpg

Excuse the light, the paper is very glossy!

20200912-210005.jpg

I think the build will be a challenge, particularly with the yellow tail and bands- we shall see what happens! 

Please feel free to chip in as i post my updates

Cheers folks 

Edited by Antb
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Welcome to the build Antb, try s white undercoat before you apply the yellow.

Cheers Ozzy. Re the white undercoat, thats my plan but we know how plans often work out 🙂 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Antb

Welcome aboard 

Enjoy your build and have fun

Best Regards

Patrice

Thank you Patrice

41 minutes ago, John Masters said:

This'll be pretty.

No pressure there then 🤣

• Like 1

Good Evening Everyone, 

Feels like ages since i opened the thread for the build! I have been working on the kit and finally have some progress to share with you all. 

First up, the cockpit- unsurprisingly! What can i say, except that its quite fiddly but with patience it actually builds up really nicely- below is the stage by stage process i have gone through. 

Stage 1 was to clean up the parts off the sprue, seperate them into what colour they needed to be painted. In the below you can see that i have painted the pit floor in a wooden colour- in this case i used Tamiya Buff. 

20200915-190014.jpg 

The seat was painted with AK Dark aluminium which would have a layer of chipping fluid applied prior to the interior green

20200915-190038.jpg

Interior green sprayed- this is Mr Hobby Aqueous

20200915-191057.jpg

AK chipping fluid sprayed over the wooden effect and Tamiya Lacquer Rubber Black sprayed over this to simulate the rubber flooring present on the pit floor. This is the first time i have used the Tamiya Lacquers and have to say they really are very good. They stink but they go down beautifully

20200915-194113.jpg

Water and a stiff brush brought me this. At first i wasnt very happy with the effect but having now weathered it it actually looks alright. Note the cracking, not sure how this happened. 

20200915-195159.jpg

Seat chipped, batteries and other bits and pieces sprayed with Tamiya Lacquer Nato Black- went for an off black as never really use straight black as it doesnt always look right. An off black gives more of a subtle effect. I had also sprayed a flat coat of Tamiya XF86 to give the weathering stage something to grip onto

20200916-193117.jpg

Next it was time for a wash. Flory Models Grime. 

20200919-192920.jpg

A front view of the pit- by this time i had also added the fiddly PE bits. The wear on the cockpit floor looks much better now 

20200919-192925.jpg

Belts added and wash taken off using damp cotton buds. I have used a small amount of Flory Dark Dirt wash on the belts to weather them in so they arent as stark and clean. 

20200919-211939.jpg

20200919-211944.jpg

20200919-211951.jpg

Cockpit sidewalls next- loads of PE to go on so should be fun but up until now it has been fun but patience is required. 

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Fantastic start antb and happy birthday 🎂

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Happy Birthday 🎂🥃🍾

Thanks Chaps! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Very nice start Antb

Best Regards

Patrice

Thanks Patrice. 

A slow Sunday today after the excitement of yesterday, meant i was able to get quote a bit of work done on the build.

First job of the day, sidewalls and tail wheel wells. Eduard have these as seperate parts that you have to attach to the sidewalls of the fuselage. Pretty straightforward but the framing is quite thin and there are seams running along the length of each part that you need to clean up. Also, there are areas to remove for attaching the PE but i made the decision not to use every piece of PE meant for the cockpit as, quite frankly, some of them were that small it would have been pointless. #

The sidewalls have been painted with Aqueuous Interior Green and the rear wheel well Tamiya XF4

20200920-123247.jpg

Some hours later, once the paint had dried the PE was attached. Starting to look really busy. There were a few really annoyingly placed ejector pin marks which would just about be visible so had to take care of them. 

20200920-133849.jpg

Once the PE glue had dried it was on with another Flory Grime wash, and removed leaving slight weathering. The black parts, white and red buttons and switches were "painted" using POSCA pens which are great for detailing work. They are very similar to an acrylic marker and enable you to get some great results without having to worry about painting small bits and pieces. 

20200920-150149.jpg

20200920-150154.jpg

The instructions would have you paint the inside of the air scoop "fine silver" but with a dry fit you cant really see into this area at all, so ive opted to paint this when i paint the entire airframe. Im not too concerned about painting all the way up, it wont be seen so theres little point. 

With the sidewalls complete it was time to button her up. This wasnt as straightforward as you would like to think. The cockpit part i had previously made up sits right to the rear of the photo above where the little sticky out bit is (not very technical i know). This didnt want to sit properly and when it did it didnt want to sit against the other side when that came across. Because of the air scoop it wasnt a case of being able to get in there and push it into position either so there were some mumbled naughty words and a lot of trying, trying and trying again. Eventually though, we got to a point where it went together. 

Im really pleased i put all that effort into painting the battery etc.... 

20200920-192221.jpg

20200920-192232.jpg

20200920-192258.jpg

20200920-192310.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Folks, 

Has been a bit of a strange week this week, got quite a bit of work done on the kit but lost a modelling friend yesterday which has been pretty devastating. Not a good end to the week. 

This update will be fairly lengthy and i apologise for the amount of photos and text but i dont particularly want to post small updates that arent very interesting. 

Fresh from joining the fuselage halves together it was time to tackle the wheelwell- the theme of this kit is tricky and fiddly. This is what Eduard will have you do, quite how this was supposed to align i have no idea:

20200920-192618-1.jpg

I decided to build it all onto the roof of the wheel well:

20200920-192630-1.jpg

20200920-192626-1.jpg

20200920-193451-1.jpg

More fiddly bits added- the internal "ribs" and then painted with AK extreme metal Dark Aluminium- washed with Flory Grime and a bit of Zinc Chromate- not weathered here though 

20200923-175658.jpg

The fuselage hadnt gone together too badly and there wasnt much clean up required with the exception of the air scoop- this area was far from ideal, in fact it was bloomin awful!

20200921-194605.jpg

20200921-194614.jpg

20200921-194623.jpg

20200921-194634.jpg

Along the top of the fuselage front section the panel line needed putting in- out with the Dymo tape:

20200921-201308.jpg

And a few areas needed filler:

20200921-202242.jpg

20200921-202256.jpg

With that drying it was time to tackle the wing identification lights- now this bit is really clever- the clear part attaches to the wing on the inside, the rear of this is painted with Tamiya clear red, yellow and green and looks like this:

20200921-224639.jpg

And from the other side:

20200921-224647.jpg

This looked great (ignore the water on the wing) but with the top wing fitted it lost its vibrancy so a solution was to use some foil- this was stuck on with some PVA to prevent any issues and adds some really nice reflectivity behind the clear parts:

20200923-180938.jpg

So, it was time to bring the completed wing assembly to the fuselage- nice and simple- just a slot in- erm, nope:

20200923-202140.jpg

20200923-202154.jpg

I initially thought this was the problem and that it stuck up too high:

20200923-202224.jpg

But it wasnt that- i dont have any photos of what it was as i was a bit miffed but basically when you install the cockpit you dont glue the bottom part (the sides of the floor)into the fuselage- this allows some movement of the rest of the cockpit to lift up and it fits in- instructions dont tell you that bit... 

20200923-225413.jpg

The fit was much better but far from perfect:

20200923-225418.jpg

I didnt want to use a filler that was too destructive to the detail so opted to use a few layers of PPP- one lot down wipe it off, then re apply:

20200923-230122.jpg

Almost forgot, all the seams were sorted and the rivets added back in, as you can see from the picture above. 

Rudder installed, plus ailerons and tail section- some Mr Dissolved putty on the leading edges of the wings and here she sits as of this evening:

20200925-195557.jpg

20200925-195613.jpg

20200925-195621.jpg

20200925-195635.jpg

Thoughts so far, is that the kit is actually quite hard work. Not sure whether its me or now, but its more tricky than i was expecting. Ive got 2 of the Royal Class boxings to build and frankly i dont think id rush and build another one quickly. I might change my mind but for now, theres my thoughts/ 

Anyway, feedback always appreciated. 

Cheers folks

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone 

Been a busy week this week but have managed to move along with the build. 

I have to admit its been frustrating but this is due to my lack of skill as have had numerous scratches, blemishes and the such to sort as I've moved along. 

After what I thought was a good job dealing with seams etc it was on with the Mr Color GX2 gloss black. Never used this stuff before and was sort of happy with how it came out. 

20200928-183719.jpg

However, there were loads of areas to sort. So out with the fillers and most of the issues were sorted. Although I still wasn't 100% happy. 

Next job was the NMF. For the fuselage I went for AK extreme metal polished aluminium. And my word this stuff is awesome. Doesnt look much when it goes on but it doesn't half end up shiny. 

20201002-202939.jpg

The wings were given a coat, or three, of AK extreme white aluminium. 

20201002-210841.jpg

It was at this point I was really frustrated. This stage showed up more areas that needed attention that the gloss hadn't shown up and there were so many bits in the paint it was ridiculous. 

I attended to the areas that needed it and gave the paint a rub back which improved the finish somewhat. 

I've come to the conclusion that NMF finishes are bloomin tricky and I feel a bit above my skill level. However we plow on. 

The tail was masked off ready to receive the yellow. This would be Mr Color orange yellow laquer. Now, I did give a fleeting thought to a white base for the yellow, however the original bird would have had the yellow on top of the NMF I believe so went down that road. 

Oh, the anti glare panel also got masked. Its dead easy masking a straight line. Erm.... nope. Took ages. 

20201003-215334.jpg

Tamiya olive green. 

20201003-221152.jpg

And with the tail painted. This needs a rub down as hasn't dried particularly smooth. 

A job for tomorrow 

20201003-224009.jpg

20201003-224246.jpg

20201003-224259.jpg

I have painted the yellow bands on the wings this evening but there's loads of overspray to sort out and not going to take any photos of that for now. 

I'll get that sorted tomorrow, then paint the red band around the front of the nose and the spinner and then some different shades of aluminium to break up the tones. 

I guess the builds going alright, its something I've never really done before but I think mustangs in future might be olive drab 🤣

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

We all feel like that, for what its worth she looks great. 

Thanks Dennis. 

Think I was just being a bit grumpy. All fixed this morning and it doesn't look too bad. 

• Like 1

Hi again folks, 

Lazy Sunday today so with the family all doing their own thing it was serious bench time day. 

Lots of pictures and, as has become customary, problems. 

First order of business was to fix the overspray problems and mark out for the black borders on the yellow outer wing bands. 

I cut 1mm strips of tape using the infini cutting mat and placed these on the inside edges of the yellow. 

20201004-114402.jpg

Wasn't taking any chances woth overspray this time 

20201004-130224.jpg

When all masked up the 1mm strips were removed and the black painted with tamiya lacquer nato black. Worked, sort of, some clean up was needed. 

20201004-132011.jpg

20201004-132023.jpg

20201004-132032.jpg

I had sprayed a very light chipping fluid coat on the anti glare panel prior to painting so with the majority of the painting work completed I went at it with some water. Was very subtle but I like the effect. 

I also added a touch of tamiya buff to the olive green and added some fading. 

20201004-154112.jpg

20201004-154118.jpg

I've taken the risky decision not to flat or gloss coat the plane as I don't want to lose the shiny effect I have on the fuselage. The surface is really good for decals so it was time to crack them out and get the main ones laid down. 

This is where there was a problem. This happened to the first upper wing decal. 

20201004-173122.jpg

Nightmare. And gutted at the same time. I did consider cutting masks for the stars and bars but raided one of the 2 royal class boxings I have. Luckily I had planned on doing one of the aircraft there as an RAF mustang so there was a spare decal. 

After some trepidation the rest of the decals behaved themselves and this is this evenings result. When these have dried it will be time for stencils and then some light weathering. 

20201004-210716.jpg

20201004-210724.jpg

20201004-210733.jpg

20201004-210741.jpg

The red Q and QP look pink in the photos and a bit in the flesh. The colours aren't very solid and they do show the underside colour somewhat. I'm not sure i like the decals in all honesty, they're not as good as I was expecting. 

• Like 5

Hi folks 

Since my last update I have been doing some more work to get the mustang finished. 

It hasn't been an enjoyable experience and have made the decision to put the build on hold for now. Whether I'll get around to it again or not I don't really know but its not enjoyable and I've lost patience with the kit. 

Issues I've had this week: 

The undercarriage. The rear wheel didn't fit so had to be drilled out to get it onto the "leg"

The main gear fits in with a small triangle that slots into the wheel bay roof. These did not want to go in and when they did they did sit straight and were a nightmare. 

The main wheels didn't go together very well at all. Huge gaps between the tyres and the rims. The slot in from the legs to the wheels are too small so the wheels don't sit right. 

The front windscreen won't sit flush with the fuselage despite being sanded and scraped both on the clear part and the fuselage area. 

The NMF keeps wearing through from handling. I'm getting sick and tired of re painting. 

Decals. Dont want to settle down no matter what I try. 

Not wanting to make excuses for my skills, or lack of, but I don't think its just me to blame. 

Its a shame but I cant keep plodding on as it is. I've got another build lined up so hoping that one goes a bit better. 

I don't usually, well haven't ever, put a build to one side, but this one I just can't keep going at. 

• Sad 5

No worries Antb, hopefully you will find time to come back to this kit. Looking forward to seeing what else you’ve got lined up.

• Like 1

That's a bit of a shame old fruit,you're so close to the magic moment and she's looking superb so far.There's plenty of time before the January finish line so enjoy a rest from it,possibly knock out something that isn't as involved and see what happens after that.It's supposed to be fun isn't it?

Have a few of these,they won't do a lot but they're free :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: 

• Haha 1