Aichi D3A1 "Val", Pearl Harbor/Cyber-hobby 1/72

The Aichi Type 99 "Val" dive bomber has been issued in 1/72 under a few brands, I chose Cyber-hobby (Dragon) as it seemed to be the one with the most appropriate level of detail.  Not so fast, but go to the "Work in Progress" section if you want to know.  I assembled my "Val" representing an aircraft from the carrier Kaga, during the attack to Pearl Harbor:  AII-250 (Pilot Saburo Makino, gunner Sueo Sukida), that attacked the USS Nevada, and was shot down by Liut Welch on a P-40,  Markings were quite colorful.  

Additionally, I used Eduard PE (highly recommended, it solves couple serious issues in the cockpit) and soft plastic deck crew figures from Red Box.  Some minor scratchbuild was necessary in the cockpit, specially in the area behind the pilots seat and around gunner´s seat.  Machinegun (stored) from an Airfix Kate, as the kit does not provide one.  A pity that the cartograf decals provided, have an orange-red shade, I painted all the markings, except the tail number... should have.  I hope you like it.

8cFcROrl.jpg

I located my Val on a base simulating Kaga´s deck, over a map from Pearl Harbor, for the sake of historical backgrounds.

g1CS7HTl.jpg

The canopy, which was my headache since the beginning, ended up fitting nicely, after some serious trimming and thinning of course (the part provided for the closed canopy is worthless, but the open one can be used).  

wSCIlc9l.jpg

Real AII-250 taking off from the Kaga in route to Pearl Harbor.  Lucky to find this only picture of this Val.

B6pzafTl.jpg

Soft Plastic figures are difficult to work on, but they look decent in the end.  I modified them using XActo knives, painted using acrylic paints and oils.

yp3sC5al.jpg

hcMmGDjl.jpg

GB6xBoOl.jpg

qlWK8Mul.jpg

4qAam4al.jpg

An addition to my Pearl Harbor "Attackers and Defenders" collection!  Next comes one SBD Dauntless from the USS Enterprise, and a Kate Torpedo Bomber.

2hNjO0Zl.jpg

Marco

• Like 39

Great model and a very creative setting and background. It really looks like a piece of history more than a pure model. The only small item that disturbs me is the colour of the tail code which should be the same red like the stripes. The overall Hairyokushoku looks perfect to me.

• Like 1

I do have one issue with this build. The photos are a bit small, only about 600x400. 

A good size for the forum is 800x600 size.

Otherwise, a great build and a nice display.

Chris

• Like 1

Very nice 'Val'!

I had the same decal problem with my Fujimi kit when I tried to use PrintScale Decals - much too Orange. The kit decals were too old to use.

I finally also painted almost everything except the Number (just like you did) and gave the Number (AI-210) a very carefully painted coat of thinned Hinomaru Red (Gunze) to get them a little bit more on the red side. This worked to a degree.

• Like 1

Thank you for your opinions, one of these days I’ll try to fix the tail number color, a pity that the nice and complete decal sheet provided in the kit, Cartograf, has such a big mistake.

marco 

That's a wonderful little plane and accompanying diorama!

If I can make one slight criticism, it would be that the effect of having the decking cut in such a shape belies its nature as part of a carefully-fabricated vessel. I would have made the entire square base into the deck, and reserved such shapes for more natural applications like grass fields, where the randomness of the edges accentuates the organic aspect.

Just a thought!

-Gregory

Edited by Kilroy1988
  • Like 1