1/350 USS Jimmy Carter SSN-23 - Bronco Conversion

Korras

Hello!

Today I want to share with you my recent build:

USS Jimmy Carter SSN-23. Carter is the 3rd Seawolf class submarine. It is different than previous vessels of the class due to modification for special missions. These missions shroud the ship in mystery. 

I wanted to build this vessel for a long time. Unfortunately there are no models of Carter in 1/350 scale. Therefore I modified Bronco Seawolf class lengthening it 8 cm and scribing various hatches and adding photoeched nets to limber ports on the hull.

vcr0ijBm69g6-eVvR20wC5ES3cGzJUHZqWolSYIg

CSSwKmlUGn7GueJICVa7vUPXc6g9oFXl4jxvOTFi

YPHrURGheDAF3ORbn4TB_xg40EKiKSGkRgXrVqWu

HzH5rAkarhTGnyng9gUT72q-5jy4-1DXQHGwy4En

CSWHQKn8jpmXEBDFL2RbBhktk_XSv3mkGYnG0ccB

USS Jimmy Carter flown Jolly Roger at least four times in 2016 and 2017. Rumour has it that it was because the crew obtained North Korean ballistic missiles from the bottom of the sea.

xi3Ruou_l9J7eSBf-XI6UtFTtVWhNzHu34FUixZm

Comparison with USS Seawolf. Clearly visible size difference between both submarines.

4Iqu5NVFyjr4GBsYi2GmW00k4NnkT8uKadahEg2h

kyIt4sFoC_dNutF2RgqghAft7zxAx7uVlgexh0Y7

MpI-g4dWQaozTiPJ9VS_wB7wMH86j-Td8h64DczG

tLGzHAyLOqa0lvPyvJz7KoGDjQwe4YwvDT99QuVP

Thanks for looking. I hope that you enjoy.

• Like 17

20 hours ago, billn53 said:

Impressive!
How did you go about lengthening the hull?

Thanks!

I’ve cut the model in two and inserted plastic core. I strengthened places were core is connected to the model with resin. Once it has dry I have put two layers of plastic sheet on the core. Polished it with sandpaper to make even with the rest of the model. Finally I have added various hatches found on the ship in the section and other details.

Unfortunately I did not post anything in WIP section as I have joined the forum recently. But I think it will not be a problem to post few pictures taken during assembly here.

aNRx8Q89r8M__K4tPwvjEiIxvwvsWsbEcshOyAtD

DYGtOZLMfulePCrsqAzdWFjceuZgVymyiOuaoPZ-

E5xonzRgqcXhWySPVcSGqg2iV9etp9zWXT1DdOMj

17 hours ago, Tom Dougherty said:

Very nice conversion!  Beautifully done.  I was fortunate to be present at the Carter’s commissioning in 2005.  Took a lot of photos from 2 meters away from the hull.  

Tom

Thanks! I envy the opportunity to sea the real submarine for your on eyes. It must been a really magnificent sight. 

Cheers!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1